Is Juno now unusable? 🎤

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! Not expecting, just collecting (and collecting… and collecting some more)

I have had [name_f]Juno[/name_f] on my long list for awhile – I like the mythology connection, an -o name for a girl, and it feels like a spunkier [name_f]June[/name_f]. I know that one of the main pop culture connections for [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is the cult classic indie movie (where the main storyline is about teen pregnancy), this wasn’t necessarily a deal breaker for me but just something that I had in the back of my head.

Well now [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter has a song called [name_f]Juno[/name_f]. This song is really good and also pretty NSFW. It’s not explicit but if you listen to the lyrics - or go to her tour and see her “Juno position” which she swaps up for different shows - it’s undeniable. [name_f]My[/name_f] main issue with it is that, the name is mentioned (“make me Juno”) as a metaphor for pregnancy.

It sort of gave me the naming ick. I know plenty of people haven’t heard of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter and won’t know this song but, personally, I feel like I’m going to take this name off my list :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

But I’m interested to hear your opinions - does this song change your perception of [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and its usability? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think a trendy artist and song will have a lasting impact on how people see this name?

Honestly the only song of hers I know of is Espresso. I’ve never even heard of her song called Juno. I still don’t know if I really expect her to make a lasting impact on the music industry or not, but I mean… Juno is a Roman goddess. A central figure of a really fascinating religion of a very well-studied, well-known and historically significant civilisation. I think it’d be a bit silly to say that a light-hearted pop song could ever override that association.

The movie feels like a much more culturally salient association, so if people are still using Juno despite that, I don’t think the song should make a difference.

3 Likes

I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_f]Juno[/name_f] – I love her spunky sound and the mythology connections. I haven’t heard the song, but looking at the lyrics it definitely seems very risque. I don’t think it changes my perception of the name [name_f]Juno[/name_f] at all, just because I don’t really listen to [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter and [name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology is my main association anyways, but others [especially because of the rarity of the name] may certainly only see [name_f]Juno[/name_f] for the song now.
As for lasting impact, I can’t really say. [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter seems like she’s shot up in popularity very quickly, which usually means she’ll fall back down just as quickly, at least in my experience. I think there are a ton of names that have been made into song titles, but their reputations haven’t been ruined because of it. For example, [name_f]Jolene[/name_f], [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], [name_m]Jude[/name_m], [name_f]Maria[/name_f], etc. – the songs aren’t my main association because at the end of the day, names have so much history & meaning that a pop song could never change them.

2 Likes

The movie itself wrecks using the name for me. It’s just the first reference that comes to mind. I’ve never met anyone named [name_f]Juno[/name_f].

If I met a [name_f]Juno[/name_f] tomorrow, that person would change my perception, too.

I think, because it’s a unique name that’s not heard very often, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] has a lot of potential.

I don’t know the song, but the fact that the song is using the name as a verb concerns me. I can only imagine the bullying if it catches on. But, maybe the song will fall into obscurity?

The only perception that matters is your own, (and the opinions that matter to you).

I don’t believe it’s totally unusable.

1 Like

I love the name Juno, never heard of Sabrina Carpenter’s song though (but I know a few of her others), and I also love the film Juno.

If it helps, the film Juno has not put me off the name at all, it was my first introduction to the name and I loved it from then on. A lot of people my age know the film (I’m in my late 20s), but it wouldn’t put me off using it if people commented on it. It’s a lovely name! Not to mention, I think goddess names are really pretty cool. Sabrina’s Juno song wasn’t a single or anything, so likely won’t take off and become a well-known song that’s on the radio constantly etc.

1 Like

Never heard of the song. I wouldn’t assume this name is unusable because of it, unless “making someone Juno” catches on as a slang term in real life.

I’ve heard of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] Carpenter but I admit I’ve never (knowingly) listened to one of her songs, so as of right now I don’t have that association. However, I can appreciate that it might make you hesitate - and, if the song becomes a sort of classic , it could be something people comment on, and it might make some parents think twice about using it. It’s hard to know though whether the song will be a passing phase that won’t feel all that relevant in the generation your [name_f]Juno[/name_f] would be growing up in?

I’d say take it off for now, while it’s giving the icks, but put it on the backburner to see whether it’s something you - and others - still think about - or if the hype wears off?