Is Lilibet off limits?

My husband is crushing hard on [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] after binge watching the new Netflix show “The Crown”, about the first few years of [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]'s reign. I think lots of people know (and many more will come to know through the show) that among her family the queen was endearingly called [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]. Could I, however, use it as a name or nickname for my daughter, or is this a one-person name and off limits?

All you have to do is Google the name and it’s [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] II galore. The [name_f]Queen[/name_f] is still called [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] by her family to this day so, while I definitely wouldn’t recommend giving your child the name [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] (I would just think you’re a huge fan of the royals), I don’t see why you can’t use it as a nickname for an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

If you do pick it, I would just be prepared for your child to search her name and be met with pages upon pages of [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] II and her endearing nickname. I love name crushes thanks to TV shows, but they rarely ever last long.

Thank you for your insight, @eoxima! I’m afraid we have a bit of a history of finding name inspiration from shows we watch ([name_m]Marvin[/name_m] was inspired by the baby in [name_m]How[/name_m] I Met Your Mother)… Google is a funny thing, because on my side there was a lot more Lilibets than I had expected: a judge, a mommy blogger, a film director and finally, the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] herself. But you are right, it is a name with clear connotations. I don’t mind the royal-loving image it would give us as I’m very much neutral about the symbolism of it all and not a royalist or anti-royalist.

We are thinking of [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or, my favorite, [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f].

I have read the name [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] in a book (not about the queen). I think it’s adorable and useable.

I have never heard the name [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] before, and I don’t think many will make that connection. When she’s 20 will people still be watching that show / know that name as belonging to the queen? Probably not so much, but who knows. A new show could be released any time that mega-popularizes any name. So I’d say go for it. It’s honestly beautiful as a first name or a nickname. I think it would be especially cute as a standalone first name.

I think it’s very usable. [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] is very sweet, and there is nothing wrong with sharing a name with the queen. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you are worried about that - with all due respect to her majesty, she is very old and probably won’t be queen for too many years more. By the time your baby would be old enough to understand, and certainly by the time she is an adult, we will likely have [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m].

In the U.S. and even among watchers of The Crown, I doubt many people know/remember that [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] II is called Lillibet by close family members. I think it’s totally usable if you’re in the 'States.

But [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] is very pretty, too, as is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

For what it’s worth, our daughter, [name_f]Elise[/name_f], is complaining suddenly that we didn’t name her [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Elise[/name_f] for short. I’ve explained to her that it’s a variation and a family name, but at this point in time she remains annoyed.

If I were you, I’d go with Lillibet for a sister to [name_m]Marvin[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], and [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f].

[name_m]Even[/name_m] if you use it as a standalone name, I don’t see why having an association with the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] is that bad. You know what I get when I google my name? Plants. Pages and pages of plants. Unless you dislike the British royal family, then I don’t see what the problem is.

I think most people will just think it’s just an unusual nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I definitely don’t think it’s a single person name. The majority of the population knows the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]; I didn’t even know [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] was her nickname until I read your post.

I do think there’s some sense in the notion that a previous poster brought up about your crush though— if you really love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] just happens to be a nn that sticks, then go for it, but otherwise, I wouldn’t get super attached to this crush. I would suggest putting it on the back burner for a bit, and if you still love it closer to your due date, then you’ll probably feel more confident about using it.

I absolutely adore it, and i think is perfectly usable!

[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] is so lovely - we were considering it for one of our daughters. I love it on its own or as a nn for [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]. I also love [name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f].

[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] is so sweet! Depending on your circle/where you live, I don’t think that many people will know that [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] is the [name_f]Queen[/name_f]'s nickname. I know this because I love the royals, but I don’t think most of my family and friends wouldn’t know this. You could test this out by asking people what they think of [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f], and after they’ve answered (to give them time to let it come to them) ask if it makes them think of the [name_f]Queen[/name_f]. But even if it does, the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] is a great association- the epitome of class, elegance and commitment to her work and the people. I think it’s usable as either a full name or a nickname- if you like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]/variants, use it, but not just for the sake of having a full name if you prefer just [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]. If her full name was [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f], she could also go by [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Libby[/name_f] if she didn’t like it when she was older.

I certainly hope it isn’t off limits; it’s beautiful. You could do [name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f] as an alternative.

[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] was my sister’s nickname when she was younger. I don’t see any problem with it. I adore it as a nickname for [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f], which is also my favorite [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] alternative <3