Is Lolita usable or not??

See the results of this poll: Lolita???

Respondents: 34 (This poll is closed)

• Yes it’s usable : 10 (29%)
  • No it’s not usable: 24 (71%)

What book?

I wouldn’t use it, but I think [name]Lalita[/name] is just gorgeous.

No, it is NOT useable. The book/movie reference is still very prevalent today and why would a parent ever want to give a name to their child that connotes a young promiscuous girl who is attracted to/has sex with an older man? Sorry, I’m gonna have to be harsh with this one. [name]Even[/name] if you aren’t really familiar with the reference, there are many other people who are familiar with it (the book is a ‘classic’ and the recent movie version was released in the late 90s) and frankly it would be a very embarrassing choice. If you want a similar name, choose [name]Lola[/name]!

I think you would be much better off using [name]Lola[/name]!

Thank you for your input and suggestions. I will have to break it to hubby that [name]Lolita[/name] is a no-go! I’m afraid we cannot use [name]Lola[/name] because my husband thinks it sounds like a dog :frowning: Too bad too…it’s a nice name

The book is one of my absolute favorites, but the name [name]Lolita[/name] is definitely not usable. It isn’t even her real name in the book - it’s a nickname for [name]Dolores[/name]. I don’t think that [name]Lolita[/name] has every gotten widespread use as a given name, but the word has gotten widespread use as a descriptor for a sexually precocious young girl or a young girl who either pursues or is with a much older man. The connotations are unavoidable and would be really awkward for your daughter to deal with.

[name]Lola[/name] or [name]Lalita[/name] would be fine.

I’d say no. My cousin has a dog named [name]Lolita[/name] and I can’t understand it even as a name for pets. It is embarrassing. [name]Lola[/name] would be a nice choice. Good luck

I get the reference, and I think it’s still prominent. [name]Lolita[/name] is still known as a promiscuous teenage girl who was attracted to her stepfather.In a pop song by the singer M.I.A, she says “[name]Lolita[/name] was a man eater.” I think that [name]Dolores[/name] with the nickname would be better, or maybe [name]Dolores[/name] with the nickname [name]Lola[/name] or [name]Lolly[/name] would be cute. But the book and movie are too well known. [name]Hope[/name] that helps.

• [name]Athena[/name]

Definitely, definitely inappropriate. [name]Even[/name] if people aren’t familiar with the book they may have some across the lingerie, eh, genre. I don’t often say a name is entirely unusable but I see no hope for this one whatsoever.

I’m with a few of the others. I [name]Lolita[/name] is a sexually promiscuous or sexually attractive prepubescent or adolescent girl. That’s all I think of. Then I think of the clothing style/ lingerie where grown women try to dress like little children to appear sexually attractive. I think it’s a little sick and I would never use the name.

[name]Lottie[/name] would be a good compromise

It’s a famous book by [name]Vladimir[/name] Nabokov about a crazy man’s obsession and sexual relationship with his 12 year old stepdaughter. Personally I’ve always felt like [name]Lolita[/name] was a victim but the book created a cultural reference and now young girls who are thought to be promiscuous or “seduce” older men are called [name]Lolita[/name]'s.

Thank you all for your opinions. We are completely done with [name]Lolita[/name].