Is Lusia valid?

I love the name [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] but especially when pronounced like “Loo-see-a”.
Unfortunately, that pronunciation doesn’t come intuitively even for me when I see “[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]”.
I always see it as “Loo-sha”. I think it’s pretty but it’s not what I’d want.

So I thought of Lusia - If [name_f]Lusila[/name_f] is valid, then why not Lusia?

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever met a Lusia?

1 Like

Where I live, [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is pronunced “loo-SEE-ah” (more or less). But I’ve never heard the Lusia spelling. It could work, but it would be misspelling.

The pronunciation here in Spain pf [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is loo - THEE - ah
It’s a really popular name!!

I’m not sure. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] to me is Loo-see-uh, Loo-chee-uh, or Loo-sha, although I prefer the first, and I’m okay with the second (but not in my accent). I’d probably expect Lusia to have a completely different pronunciation to any of those like Loo-sigh-uh or Lush-uh or something. It doesn’t look right or pleasing to the eye in my opinion, just misspelled.

I keep misreading this as [name_f]Luisa[/name_f], Lusia just looks wrong to me. However, here in Germany we have the germanized version “[name_f]Luzia[/name_f]”, so I suppose Lusia could be valid as an anglicized version?!

Where I live (US), I have only heard [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] pronounced loo-SEE-ə. If I saw Lusia, I would not be 100% sure how it was pronounced. I would also question if it might be a typo.

I realize that [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] and Lusia are too hard to tell apart… I may just have to let go of Lusia! Oh well…

Thanks all for the advice!

Same case where I am.

Lusia looks a bit off to me, like a typo of [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]. I have a co-worker whose name is [name_f]Luzia[/name_f], she told me it’s an old form of St. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]'s name and very common from where she comes from.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there, I am a Lusia. It’s actually my middle name . I am [name_f]Lili[/name_f] Lusia. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom didn’t want to do the usual spelling for [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] . I love my name and one thing that I wanted to point out is that other people don’t decide how to pronounce your name. Sometimes I get asked if my middle name is [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] if it’s misspelled or how do I pronounce it. I just tell them. It’s pronounced lou-see-ya