Is Nora overused?

We are expecting our 3rd baby a girl, in December. We have an Owen Elliott and Emery Sue. I have always loved the name Nora since way before we ever had kids. It’s been my baby girl name forever and what I was planning on naming Emery before she was born. For some reason when Emery was born Nora didn’t seem right for her and we struggled to name her for 36 hours after she was born before my husband suggested Emery. However now that we are expecting another girl who will definitely be our last baby I’m drawn back to Nora again. However I now have a college friend who has a Nora and a close coworker who has a Nora and I’m feeling like it’s been over used since I originally loved it. Any thoughts on this?

A few others I’ve thought of but don’t necessarily love any of them are
Lydia
Clara
Cora
Reese
Lena
Wren
Nova

Her middle name will likely be either Kate, Kathryn or Jo or JoNell

1 Like

ah - that sounds like a tricky situation ! it seems like you really love the name though, and it fits well with your other kids’ names. personally i can’t really comment on how overused nora is as i have never met one, but it is popular worldwide and rising

however there are variations to nora in look and sound that you might like ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

flora
annora
lenora
noor
lora
eleanor
orla
norma
elora
noa
zora

other names that feel similar to your favorites

lola
avery
ruby
annabel
juliet
maeve
alana
laila
piper
lea
violet
rose
lucy
ivy
elise
stella
quinn
alma
cleo
riley
sage
marlow
ada
thea

1 Like

I only know one Nora, and she’s a dog! I don’t think this is an overused name at all!

1 Like

I feel for you, because I had the same thing happen to me. We ended up not using the name, and I’ve since gotten over it. It’s definitely hard to let go though. But it may not bother you to the point of not using it. In my case it was a close family member, so I just couldn’t.

I personally don’t know any Nora’s personally, so I don’t find it overused.

I love the pp suggestions of Elora and Lenora, or maybe Leonora? I have a soft spot for Elora.

From your list, I love Lydia and Clara, and find Cora very sweet.

HTH :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think if you feel you’d regret never using [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and that whenever somebody talks about a baby [name_f]Nora[/name_f] you’d feel a bit jealous of the name choice, then it doesn’t matter if you know two or ten, then it’s the name for you!

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I do hear [name_f]Nora[/name_f] a lot on little tykes to be honest, but it is a gorgeous name. It’s not like it’s trendy, since it feels more classic even though it’s currently popular. I’d say it’s just up to you how much popularity bothers you. So, to answer your question: yes, it’s a tad over used. But only because it’s such a lovely name!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Honora[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] sits in the same wheelhouse as [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_u]Emery[/name_u] as common but not overly overused.
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] is very cute but look at the baby and see what she seems like.

1 Like

I’ve never actually met a [name_f]Nora[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t personally know any Noras or of any Noras and think that you should definitely go for it. It sounds a bit like you’d regret not using it, and regrets are always the hardest to live with. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] sounds absolutely darling, and I wish you luck.

1 Like

Congratulations on your upcoming little girl ! [name_u]Emery[/name_u] [name_f]Sue[/name_f] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] are spectacular together and I think it goes so well.

I would say [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is not overly popular. I only know one [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. It is gaining in popularity but for good reason. I would say if your heart is set , use it ! It’s a perfect name that fits so well with your other kids.
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]

I also love some of the names suggested especially [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], [name_f]Honora[/name_f], [name_f]Annora[/name_f], [name_f]Lenora[/name_f]

Of your alternative choices these feel like they match your style
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]

For you I personally like [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] or [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] because you could get nicknames [name_f]Lena[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] from either one . Having some versatile nicknames

1 Like

Congratulations! I am due in [name_u]December[/name_u] as well!

[name_f]Nora[/name_f] is so gorgeous!

I have met one [name_f]Norah[/name_f], but never a [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. I think [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u], and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] go together really well. Personally I love [name_f]Kate[/name_f] for [name_f]Nora[/name_f] as a middle name! In case you thought [name_f]Nora[/name_f] would be too common, you could always hyphenate the name, ie. [name_f]Nora[/name_f]- [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. Both names are short and sweet! It also gives her opportunities to go by [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Kat[/name_f], or [name_f]Nora[/name_f]- [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. With the hyphenated name, you don’t need a middle name! [name_u]An[/name_u] alternative I loved is [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Katie[/name_f] sounds so cute and pleasant!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

Firstly love the name [name_f]Nora[/name_f]! I agree it works really nicely with [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_u]Emery[/name_u] too! Personally I have only ever known one [name_f]Nora[/name_f], and she’s around 6 or 7 now. I definitely think it is very familiar and growing in popularity but it isn’t as popular as [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (I know 8 Sophias between 6-13) or [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] (I know 10 Hannahs between 2-34). But I personally would still use [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] (if I didn’t have close people by these names) despite their popularity and that’s my position on [name_f]Nora[/name_f] too! Personally, I think go with [name_f]Nora[/name_f]! [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] sound so sweet together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I think all your middle options can work with [name_f]Nora[/name_f], but I personally love [name_f]Nora[/name_f] Kathryn!!

But with that said, I like several names on your longer list too. I really like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] in particular with your two older children. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] sound really nice!

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Elora[/name_f] too! [name_f]Elora[/name_f] gives similar vibes to both [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] imo - naturey / classic :relaxed:.

A few other ideas (and sorry if they have already been said):
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and Lyla/Lila
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps and good luck!!

1 Like

I’m afraid it is fast getting that way. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is beautiful but, for me, rising in popularity too much. Fortunately there are variants or ways to make it a nickname:

[name_f]Lenora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leanora[/name_f]
[name_f]Annelore[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f] (diff spelling, pretty much same name though)
[name_u]Norie[/name_u]
[name_u]Noor[/name_u]
[name_f]Noora[/name_f] (same situation as Norah)

1 Like

Nora here! I think the name is definitely rising fast; I expect to meet more and more babies and young children with the name. It’s quite a bit more popular now than when I was born! It also has significant international usage.

However, it’s also had a steady history of use for as long as the US has been keeping records, especially considering that it’s often a nickname! It’s been hanging out as a standalone name in the top 500 for 100 years. You may meet women and girls of all ages and nationalities with the name, and I think it can age very gracefully.

If you love the name, that’s more important than whether or not other people have used it. If it’s your forever name and you still love it when your baby girl is born, use it! You don’t want to regret not using the name you love just because other people love the name as well.

For what it’s worth, Nora has a similar feel to Owen in that it’s modern and popular but has a history of usage. Emery is a little more modern, but it fits well with the friendly feeling of your names. I think Nora could be a great choice for you (:wink: ) and sounds well with your middle name ideas.

TLDR; It’s popular, but that shouldn’t stop you!

2 Likes

I don’t find it overused. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is sweet, and I think it would fit in well with your older children’s names. :slight_smile:

I know toddler siblings named [name_f]Norah[/name_f] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u], so I think it’s a good fit! You don’t say whether the popularity of [name_u]Owen[/name_u] ever bothers you, but I feel similarly about [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and Nora–very fashionable now, but not too overused yet.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. I know only one, and even then it’s rather adjacently. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter has not had a [name_f]Nora[/name_f] in her daycare or now preschool classes yet. If you live in the US you can check your state’s specific data on usage, but even then I wouldn’t let that stop you. It’s a fantastic name.

1 Like