Is Percival ready to be used on a real life boy?

So DH decided he doesn’t like our chosen name, [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], after all. Second choice was [name_m]Henry[/name_m] nn [name_m]Hank[/name_m], but I feel like I hear [name_m]Henry[/name_m] all over the playground now. DH is pushing hard for [name_m]Percival[/name_m] nn [name_u]Percy[/name_u]. I like it, love that it has historical and mythological connection, and bonus it touches on my french heritage.

But I also feel like it has this prissy image to it and I’m worried I’m setting him up for teasing. I feel like sometimes us Berries fall in love with these names that just aren’t useable in the real world and that that’s what I’m doing right now.

So [name_m]Percival[/name_m] nn [name_u]Percy[/name_u]? Useable? Am I overthinking this? Is [name_u]Percy[/name_u]/[name_m]Percival[/name_m] totally adorable and vintage cool? Or will I be getting the side eye every time I introduce the poor little guy?

I do think it’s usable and I quite like it, however, it does have a slightly upper crust vibe to it that may come of as pretentious to some people. It’s also a lot more unusual than [name_m]Charles[/name_m] but I do think they sound nice together, very vintage British aristocrat, though.

Fwiw, if [name_m]Henry[/name_m] would be [name_m]Hank[/name_m] most of the time, I don’t think it matter that there are 3 others on the playground; [name_m]Hank[/name_m] is quite usual after all!

I think [name_m]Percival[/name_m] nn [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is perfectly usable. I wouldn’t bat an eye at meeting a [name_m]Percival[/name_m] in real life (in fact, I’d be delighted!).

I think it’s usable. [name_u]Percy[/name_u] would be my choice over [name_m]Percival[/name_m], but both are fine and not so “out there” that they couldn’t be used.

I think is usable and [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is lovely.

Totally adorable and vintage cool! I think [name_m]Percival[/name_m] and [name_u]Percy[/name_u] are amazing and usable, and they pair really nicely with [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u].

[name_m]Henrik[/name_m] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] come to mind as suggestions, too.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I think [name_m]Percival[/name_m] works well.

I think it is useable & not too out there — though it is unique. [name_u]Percy[/name_u] & [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] sound great together!

I don’t really like either [name_u]Percy[/name_u] or [name_m]Percival[/name_m] though they are usable.

I definitely think [name_m]Percival[/name_m] is ready for a revival! [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is our top choice for #1 due in [name_u]June[/name_u] if it’s a boy. Usually we would chose the long form over using a nickname on the birth certificate, but I personally just don’t love [name_m]Percival[/name_m] enough. I’d love to see it in a birth announcement however! [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_m]Percival[/name_m] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_u]Percy[/name_u] are gorgeous together as well!

I think its perfectly usable, and pretty cool.

I love [name_u]Percy[/name_u] and can easily see it on a little boy. [name_m]Percival[/name_m] feels a bit hard to wear, but I suppose it depends on where you are.

Nope, definitely not it’s a horse’s name imo and I actually don’t like the sound of it at all and have never been fond of the name [name_u]Percy[/name_u] either.

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but I do not love this name. :frowning:

I do think its wearable, and it isn’t atrocious. But, I just picture [name_u]Percy[/name_u] as a little snitching weasel. This is probably because the characters with this name from [name_u]Green[/name_u] Mile and [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] were jerks.

I like [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] as a suggestion, as an alternative to [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I adore [name_m]Henry[/name_m] as well, but like you said, its so darn popular that I could never use it.

I think [name_m]Percival[/name_m] is great, would love to meet one!

I think [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is fabulous!