Is Rosalie too similar to Amelie?

I really loved the name [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ([name_f]Rose[/name_f]-uh-lee) for my first, but dad didn’t. He is not in the picture for this pregnancy, though it is the same dad. We ended up naming her [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]. I wrote off [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] awhile ago because I thought they were too similar, but the few people I’ve discussed names with says it isn’t. The same last two syllables did bother me, but now I’m wondering if I’m being ridiculous. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom loves the name and encourages me to use it, but she also thinks it’s cute for two cousins who see each other frequently to be named [name_u]Ayden[/name_u] and [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], so I don’t really trust her judgement. Though her approval is (kinda unfortunately) important to me because I don’t really have anyone else to discuss names with and I’m close with her.

Having a perfect sibling set is not important to me. They are separate people who are going to grow up and have separate lives. I do admire sibling names that go well together, and I definitely don’t want anything that clashes or is too matchy, but other than that it’s more important for me to love the name.

I’m still open to other names, if someone has suggestions. Nothing feels right. I also like [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. I didn’t get positive reactions to [name_f]Elise[/name_f] which really shut me down about it, and now I’m too nervous to even discuss [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. I loved [name_f]Viola[/name_f] but the pronunciation seems to be 50/50 and that already annoys me.

Oh, and I don’t even know where to start with a middle. I’m hoping that just falls into my lap. All I know is the first name can’t start with M, and preferably not A either.

sorry, but I do think the names are too similar with the same syllables stressed, and the same elie ending. the only things different are the ros and am. Maybe keep the beautiful [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] as a middle? or try [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], or [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is adorable!!! [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] is my sister’s name and we have never had a negative comment, everyone loves it.

1 Like

If [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] feels like the perfect name for you, use it. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] are different enough at the beginning. It would maybe be a bit confusing, but not unusable. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] would also be very nice with [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]. I really can’t think of anything negative about [name_f]Elise[/name_f] (I know 2 or 3 [name_f]Elise[/name_f]'s).

1 Like

They’re similar, but I don’t think too similar if you really love it. I also think [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] are beautiful and would be good sisters for an [name_f]Amelie[/name_f].

2 Likes

I do think with the ending they are a bit too similar for my liking. I do like the suggestion of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]. Could [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] be used in the middle?

But in the end I also agree with those who say if you love it use it. So either way I think you win.

They’re similar, but it seems like you really love [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] so I think you should use it! Like you said, they’re separate people, and wont be referred to as a sibset their whole lives. If you don’t mind the similarities, I don’t think it’s an issue. If anything, [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] could go by [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] when with her sister!
I’ve known soo many sibsets with even more similar sounding names ([name_u]Julian[/name_u] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Kiana[/name_f] & [name_f]Kiara[/name_f], [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] & [name_f]Kyla[/name_f] for some examples), and they seemed to be fine with it!

You seem to be so in love [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], you may regret it if you don’t use it.

I do also love the suggestion of [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], which is beautiful!

(Primrose is another ‘Rose’ option that I haven’t seen mentioned!)

3 Likes

Rosalie and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] are quite matchy for siblings but I don’t think they’re necessarily too similar because the beginnings are very different. You seem to really love [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] so I think you could still use it!

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I really do think they are too similar for sisters (even for cousins). I like the previous suggestion of using it as a middle name. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is beautiful!

Rosalind, [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]/Rosemarie are all great alternatives to [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], too.

I think it’s a bit too similar. But if you like it go for it! But if you’re bothered by it, how [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]? It’s still similar to [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f].

Rosalia [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

I don’t think they’re too similar at all! [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is a great sister name to [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]. They have similar endings but the first syllables are super distinct.

1 Like

I think they’re distinct enough

Rosalie [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]

It’s tough because they’re both such beautiful names! I think they’re a bit similar but ultimately I really like what you said about them each being individual people. If they aren’t too similar to you, that’s really the only opinion that matters! Especially if you end up using nicknames, I agree with previous posters that the “ro” and am" sounds at the beginning are different enough to work.
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] is also gorgeous.

1 Like

I think they are great together. You may end up calling them [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] and [name_f]Millie[/name_f]/Mellie.

I think they’re too similar. But both are good names. We used Rosalie as a middle.

Too similar for me but not unusable if you aren’t as bothered by the matchiness.