Is Salem usable as a name?

Hello! I’m not anywhere near trying to name an actual human baby, just exploring/collecting names.

I’ve always like the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u] and loved its meaning, ‘peace,’ but can’t help feeling like it would always be associated with the witch trials. Well, that or the cat from [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] the Teenage Witch, but that association I don’t mind as much.

In your opinion, is the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u] usable as a name for someone, or would its negative associations make it uncomfortable?

Yes. I know a girl and a dog named [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! Have you also considered

[name_u]Shalom[/name_u]
[name_f]Shula[/name_f]
[name_f]Shulamit[/name_f]
Shlomit
[name_f]Sula[/name_f]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Salome[/name_f]

Absolutely! [name_u]Salem[/name_u] is a really awesome name! The associations do not make it any less fantastic!

1 Like

I like it a lot, but the witch trials is a pretty heavy association. Still, I do think it’s usable.

1 Like

I like it a lot but am not sure if it would be a good idea to use it. On one hand, the right person could pull it off. On the other, what are the odds a child/future adult would be able to? While we think it would be cool, we aren’t the ones that will have to wear the name. That alone gives me hesitation.

I asked my husband and he said it sounds nice but thinks the negative associations are too great for it to be a good name. Granted, we are [name_m]Christian[/name_m] so no doubt some people in our social circles (as much as we try to avoid them) would be horrified if we were to name a child that. So…I don’t know. Maybe it could be a good middle name…

I like it a lot, and don’t think the witch trials association is something to be put off by. It’s a cool name!

[name_u]Salem[/name_u] is a Biblical place name but I think most people would associate it with the 17th century witch trials. I don’t think it’s unusable but the association with witch hunts and mass hysteria is strong.

I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u], but it’s just too witch trials for me. They were a pretty horrible part of history, the more you learn about them the worse they get. I wish it wasn’t, I love the meaning and the sound!

Since I’m from near [name_u]Salem[/name_u], MA (and the NH city by the same name), I do not think of the witch trials. They are just [name_m]Boston[/name_m] area places.

Personally I love this name. Going by responses here, I suppose it might not be the easiest to pull off if it immediately springs the witch trial association. But I also don’t see it as much worse than [name_m]Damien[/name_m] which is a popular enough name. People might just assume [name_u]Salem[/name_u] has goth parents.

Other than that, I like how it’s known but unique. I love evocative names and I see old [name_m]New[/name_m] Englanders on an overcast day; a home-y feel few names give me. It’s on my list, at least for a middle.

I think it’s usable.

I vote no to [name_u]Salem[/name_u].
It sounds cool, but to me it screams goth, witchery and spookiness. I just can’t imagine a sprightly, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, giggly kid named [name_u]Salem[/name_u]. Your kid would also have to wear the name as an adult, which could either compliment his/her personality, or terribly conflict with it.

If you must, make it a middle.

My first associations were the street, school, library, and church in my town with ‘[name_u]Salem[/name_u]’ in their names. Then the witch trials. Then the [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] book [name_u]Salem[/name_u]'s Lot. Because of the last two it has a sort of dark eerie vibe for me. I don’t think it’s unusable but there would definitely be some associations with it.

If you are ok with the kids name being shortened to [name_u]Sal[/name_u], or [name_m]Lem[/name_m], its fine. I think its a beautiful name, but like everyone else said, it has its associations.

I [name_f]DO[/name_f] think that a little blond haired kid named [name_u]Salem[/name_u] would be a little odd. Its like a dark haired [name_u]Rudy[/name_u], it just doesn’t really work. But that could just be me.

I absolutely LOVE the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u]. It is such a cool name! I am going to name my baby [name_u]Salem[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f].
The name [name_u]Salem[/name_u] means peace. Such a beautiful meaning and it goes well with [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

I like it! I think it’s as usable as any other location name (eg: [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], [name_u]Denver[/name_u], [name_u]Austin[/name_u])

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Salem[/name_u] and I love the name. But it’s up to you guys. When you are ready to have children you can always choose a name you both like that sounds like [name_u]Salem[/name_u] if you don’t like the name as a human name.