Is Saoirse A Good Name?

I am currently in love with the name [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] and I would love to use it on future children. But I am not Irish so I was wondering would it be fine for me to use it as I have no Irish blood in me. And is it a good name :confused:

I like it, I’d definitely consider it a ‘‘good’’ name. It reminds me of sea shells for some reason, it’s very beachy to me :slight_smile:

But I think the spelling is maybe too obscure to use without having Irish heritage to ‘‘justify’’ it, I guess - especially if you’re in the US, or even parts of the UK where Gaelic names are rare and your daughter would have to spell it, correct people, explain it’s Irish etc. on a daily basis.

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad is Irish but I probably wouldn’t use a very Gaelic name unless I planned on living in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. I do have lots on my list though.

A friend of mine loves the name [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] but she’s reconsidering because of people pronouncing it incorrectly. I think that the people around her would learn how to pronounce her name, including teachers, friends, family and so I don’t necessarily think it’s a massive issue. I love the names [name_f]Roisin[/name_f] ([name_f]Ro[/name_f]-sheen) and [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] but my partner isn’t keen because of pronunciation issues so I understand where you are coming from…

I think if you love the name and it’s your favourite then use it and you’ll get over the pronunciation difficulties!

I love [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f], and luckily enough for me, there’s a neighbourhood in my city called [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] Heights (or at least, the big apartment building and park across from it are named that ;P), but I don’t think you HAVE to be Irish to use an Irish or Gaelic spelling. I’ve got very small trace amounts of Irish heritage, but I would still use the name in a heartbeat, because I love the sound, the look, and the meaning. I’m the same way with [name_f]Soraya[/name_f], [name_f]Orlaith[/name_f]/[name_f]Orla[/name_f], [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] etc.

I quite like [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] but I wouldn’t use it myself. I think it would be fine to use it even if you didn’t live it [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] because people will learn how to pronounce the name and the actress [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] has made the name more widely heard.

I love [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]. When I first mentioned it to my husband when I was pregnant, he said yes. Then I explained to him the spelling and he said no. I couldn’t really argue because despite loving the name, the spelling was a HUGE concern. We toyed around with phonetic spellings (i.e. Seirsha, Siersha), but they totally ruined the name, in my opinion. So unfortunately, we had to give it up. We both have Irish roots, but neither of us have any strong, current connections that would make us feel okay to use such unique, Gaelic spelling. We also liked [name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f], but again, spelling. Although, I recently found out that [name_f]Alyson[/name_f] Hannigan (from [name_m]How[/name_m] I Met Your Mother) has a daughter named [name_u]Keeva[/name_u], which would be the phonetic spelling.

Sorry I’m not any help; I just wanted you to know that it IS a beautiful name and you’re not alone!

Hopefully, if [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] becomes more well-known, [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] will become more usable outside of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. As it is, because of the pronunciation hassle I think [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] is best left in the middle spot for now.

I really like [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f], but would be concerned about pronunciation issues. However, as other posters have said, if [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] continues to grow in popularity, the name may become more well-known outside of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f].

If you’re interested in exploring other Gaelic names, http://www.babynamesofireland.com is a great source.