Is Seal a good name for a boy?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I don’t think it’s that bad. It’s not my personal cup of tea, but it’s no weirder than [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] or [name_u]Fox[/name_u]. Those two names are getting used here & there these days. [name_u]Seeley[/name_u] is a cute nn.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No.

Yeah. Doesn’t matter. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t use that name.

Sorry, but [name_m]Seal[/name_m] is too tied to the word and it’s various meanings. The first thing I think of is the animal, followed by the verb (like to seal something up.) It just doesn’t seem like a name to me.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I absolutely think most people would think of the animal (a seal or sea lion), which would lead to weight jokes. I do love animal names though, and there are plenty of other wonderful options to consider!!!

1 Like

Well they arent going to make fun of the animal. They will, however, make fun of a human. In today’s society where weight is a thing people struggle with and get made fun of for, I would not want to name my child something that could lead to even more bullying about it.
There are plenty of animal names that are also very cool, and wouldn’t do that to a child. Or using a different name and [name_m]Seal[/name_m] as a family nickname could work! That way the child could choose to not go by [name_m]Seal[/name_m] whenever they felt uncomfortable using it.

2 Likes

Seals are not small creatures. They are known to be round and chubby, and sometimes weigh a very large amount.

2 Likes

I would only use it as a nickname… [name_u]Seeley[/name_u]/Sealey was a good option.

Seal:
Seewald
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Selwynn[/name_m]
[name_m]Cecil[/name_m]
…[name_u]Navy[/name_u]

2 Likes

Seals make barking noises that are easy to imitate in a jesting manner. I wouldn’t name a child this.

2 Likes

I immediately though of the singer. Did no one else?

Seal isn’t my cup of tea and I quite like animal names. [name_f]May[/name_f] I ask why you feel drawn to it? Maybe we can help you come up with a way to get to the nickname seal or a way to incorporate its meaning into another name?

1 Like

I think it would be best used an a nn if it is something you like but not as a official first name :slight_smile:

Okay, I’m done with the conversation because you asked and then didn’t listen to a word I said. Have a nice day.

(edited to add, in case anyone decides to read my comments: they kept asking me questions and I was replying. for some reason they deleted their comments, so now it seems like I spammed them with comments randomly. That’s not the case!!)

6 Likes

I agree with @regionlatbest

1 Like

My first association was with the singer, which may be good or bad depending on your feelings towards him. I know there was some debacle about him a few years ago - so it would be worth looking into whether you want your child possibly associated with that.

As for the animals, I love them and think they’re gorgeous creatures, however I do see everyone’s points about it possibly leading to body-shaming based teasing.

Overall, I think [name_m]Seal[/name_m] could be a sweet nickname, but I wouldn’t use it as a legal name. I love the suggestion of [name_u]Seeley[/name_u] though - handsome, charming, and uncommon!

I don’t know if I am honest. I would not personally name a boy [name_m]Seal[/name_m], but it is funny how we find some animal names acceptable like [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_m]Colt[/name_m], [name_m]Buck[/name_m], [name_f]Fawn[/name_f] and so on, but others get a strong negative reaction. I did think about the singer too, but he has more like a one word name and not like [name_m]Seal[/name_m] Lastname.

What about [name_f]Ciel[/name_f]? It would be similar in pronunciation if you like the sound of it, but maybe not tied so closely to the animal.