Is Seal a good name for a boy?

I was wondering about this name. It sounds cool

1 Like

It does sound cool, but I’d be super worried about kids being mean. Would you be better off with [name_f]Ciel[/name_f]?

1 Like

How would kids be mean? I’m curious on this idea

I’m sorry, I’m not a fan! I agree that someone with the name might encounter some bullying because of it. Maybe you’d like the name [name_u]Seeley[/name_u]? [name_m]Seal[/name_m] could be a cute family nickname too!

(Also, I think the name might be too heavily associated with the singer!)

3 Likes

I reckon it’d be a very difficult name to pull off unless you’re 100% sure your child would be some sort of celebrity. Sorry

2 Likes

Nope. No. Never.

1 Like

What’s wrong with this name really? [name_m]How[/name_m] is it bad?

1 Like

It’s either sealing something or it’s an animal that can be made fun of in so many ways; honestly, just imagine kids making seal noises at this kid every time they do something like breath. And the fat jokes, stupid jokes, etc. There’s also a singer whose stage name is seal so there’s that.

6 Likes

It’s not a name I would personally use. I think kids can be cruel and mimic seal sounds . I do like [name_u]Seeley[/name_u] and think [name_m]Seal[/name_m] would be a cute nickname

3 Likes

I agree with @PRSing, my first thought was fat jokes and seal noises! Also just jokes about appearances in general, as most people would probably think about the animal, and while they’re cute I don’t think a kid would want to be compared to one!

1 Like

I like @regionlatbest’s suggestion of [name_u]Seeley[/name_u]!

Seal does have a very cool sound, but I’d use it as a middle because of the verb and the animal. For another out-there name with a similar sound, how about [name_f]Selkie[/name_f]? (Agh I can’t remember which [name_u]Berry[/name_u] it was that introduced it to me as a name, sorry!)

2 Likes

Ronan means seal and would be much more wearable.

4 Likes

even though I prefer [name_f]Ciel[/name_f] and [name_u]Zeal[/name_u], I think this name is usable. I was actually thinking about it the other day too and decided I quite like it. I never really heard about the musician getting grief for his name. I don’t know, I really like the sound of it & I think if you can name boys [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] and [name_m]Hawk[/name_m] and [name_m]Bear[/name_m], why not [name_m]Seal[/name_m]?

3 Likes

I would say it’s better suited as a middle or not at all. People would wonder if you named him after the singer [name_m]Seal[/name_m]. I could also see some teasing (kids are mean and can be kind of creative when it comes to bullying). I like the pp suggest of [name_f]Ciel[/name_f] which means sky in [name_u]French[/name_u]. I also really like [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_m]Seal[/name_m] could be his family nickname.

2 Likes

No

1 Like

No. It’s too closely associated with the animal. Kids are mean, and naming your child [name_m]Seal[/name_m] is like asking him to be bullied.

2 Likes

I think it sounds cool but i can imagine it working best as a middle name

Kids may make fun of it. I think it’s best to use as a middle name.

1 Like

It does sound super cool and fits in with the trend of names like [name_m]Bear[/name_m] and [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] but I like it best as a middle name or nickname :blush:

First, we need to convince a celebrity to name their kid this. Then it’ll be perfectly normal. Until then, it’s best to allow your child to be a trailblazer in other ways.

1 Like