Is Sloane a terrible name?

I really like the name [name]Sloane[/name] for a girl. I think it’s fun and different, but not made up. I haven’t gotten a lot of good reactions to it, so I’m wondering if it really is a terrible name? I’m wondering if people were to maybe meet a [name]Sloane[/name] their opinion would change?

Also, do you have any middle name suggestions for it? I want something girly, yet not common. It’s a really hard name to find middle names for!

I have always liked [name]Sloane[/name] but I don’t think it is girly or feminine in any way. I find that it needs a three syllable middle name to make it flow. [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Natalie[/name]

I love [name]Sloane[/name]. I think it sounds classy.

I agree with the poster above me that you probably need a three syllable middle name. Unless you have an obscenely long last name that it.

I always liked [name]Sloane[/name]! It has a definite 80’s preppy vibe to me, but not in a bad way. I loved the 80’s. :wink: I agree that a really feminine middle name would be a good pairing.

[name]Sloane[/name] isn’t my style but there’s nothing wrong with the name. I also get an 80s preppy vibe from it- I think of [name]Ferris[/name] [name]Bueller[/name]'s girlfriend. I would choose a very feminine middle name to go with [name]Sloane[/name].

I love [name]Sloane[/name]! It makes me think of [name]Ferris[/name] [name]Bueller[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] Off ([name]Ferris[/name]'s gf was named [name]Sloane[/name]). The first thing that popped into my head was [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Mackenzie[/name].

[name]Ranger[/name]?

Sorry :oops: It’s not at all feminine and I wouldn’t be sure of the sex of it’s owner. I agree you need a feminine middle name, although I suppose it doesn’t really matter as not many people will be saying her full name. I haven’t got any ideas, can’t get [name]Ranger[/name] out of my head. If you’re going to go for it I think pretty much anything goes.

1 Like

[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Ranger[/name] is actually a phrase coined in the 1980’s and used to describe a young, aristocratic or upper class set. It comes from the posh [name]Sloane[/name] Square in [name]London[/name]. The most notable member was Lady [name]Diana[/name] [name]Spencer[/name] who later married and divorced [name]Prince[/name] [name]Charles[/name]. I know two sisters named [name]Bryce[/name] and [name]Sloane[/name]. I’m not a fan of unisex names but [name]Sloane[/name] is ok. It just feels a little pretentious to me. I’ve certainly heard worse masculine sounding names for girls. If you love it, go for it!

I’m afraid I can’t bring myself to like [name]Sloane[/name]. It sounds preppy and just not my style. In my opinion, it doesn’t really fit your criteria of ‘girly.’ While I would assume [name]Sloane[/name] was a girl, I don’t think it sounds pretty or feminine. However, I’m surprised you’ve gotten mostly negative reactions because it seems that a lot of people like it… but not I, sorry!

I’m really sorry, but [name]Sloane[/name] just doesn’t do anything for me.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Love[/name] [name]Love[/name]! I so would use this for a future daughter! Too bad you’ve gotten negative reactions :confused:

I can understand why some people really like this name, but I’m not a big fan. It does remind me of [name]Ferris[/name] [name]Bueller[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] Off (actually that’s a really big assocation I have – It’s the only place I’ve ever encountered the name being used).

I also, as a previous poster mentioned, don’t think of it as a ‘girly’ name. While I would assume a child named “[name]Sloane[/name]” (spelled with an ‘e’ on the end) would be a girl, it doesn’t sound very feminine to me at all.

So, to answer your question, I don’t think it is a terrible name. It definitely isn’t my style and I don’t see it as ‘girly’.

[name]Sloane[/name] is strictly masculine for me, sorry.

I can definitely see why people wouldn’t like [name]Sloane[/name] for a girl, it can seem a bit like [name]Ashton[/name] or [name]Carson[/name] etc. which seem to me like trying to put a boys name on a girl. However, I see [name]Sloane[/name] more in the category of classy, chic, and unusual… similar to names like [name]Reese[/name] and [name]Piper[/name]. I named my daughter [name]Sloane[/name] 5 years ago, and I get compliments on it constantly. I’d definitely give her a girly middle name (my daughter’s middle name is [name]Catherine[/name]). [name]Sloane[/name]'s a great name, I absolutely love it - though I’m a tad partial :slight_smile:

Sorry to put you off, but I’m not a fan. I feel like I should like it, but I just can’t. It sounds like slow-anne to me, as if [name]Anne[/name] wasn’t dull enough.

I do, however, like it’s interesting, 80s vibes. I don’t think looks overly-feminine, but it certainly isn’t masculine to me, and I would definitely love to meet a little [name]Sloane[/name]!

I don’t think [name]Sloane[/name] is a terrible name at all. It is quite nice, and certainly not obscure or anything.
It gives me an 80’s vibe, but not in a bad way. I knew one female [name]Sloane[/name] so I tend to think of it as a girl’s name. I think if you love it you should definitely use it.

[name]Sloane[/name] popped in the rankings this year. She’s still outside the Top 500, but I definitely think she’s on her way up.

If girls can answer to [name]Brooke[/name] and [name]Blair[/name] and [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Joan[/name], why not [name]Sloane[/name]? I really like [name]Sloane[/name], especially paired with a longer, clearly feminine middle name like:

[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Verity[/name]

My grandfather’s name was [name]Roy[/name] [name]Sloan[/name]. I have no idea where they pulled the [name]Sloan[/name] from, but it has grown on me over the years. I think it would be a fine name for a girl or boy, but it would be easier to place as a middle name (even if that is what you choose to call her).

[name]Don[/name]'t know what your style is, but here are some options I like:

[name]Sloan[/name] Lysandra
[name]Sloan[/name] Loisandra
[name]Sloan[/name] Lorrain
[name]Sloan[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Sloan[/name] Oleah / Oleah [name]Sloan[/name]
[name]Sloan[/name] [name]Cameo[/name] / [name]Cameo[/name] [name]Sloan[/name]
[name]Sloan[/name] [name]Viola[/name] / [name]Viola[/name] [name]Sloan[/name]
Elsah [name]Sloan[/name]
[name]Shoshana[/name] [name]Sloan[/name]

I’m going to be honest, I’m really not a fan of [name]Sloane[/name]. If someone were to mention a someone named [name]Sloane[/name], I would think they were talking about a breed or horse or other domestic animal.

I really really love [name]Sloane[/name]!!