Is the connotation too bad?

saw the name nixon on here and thought it could be cool on a boy. the only problem I’ve had so far is the connection to the past president, richard nixon. it obviously does not honor him or anything but would other people think it does? or does it seem to connected with him?

I think that’s pretty connected to him. I live in the US, so that’s all I’d think of.

2 Likes

I would associate it with the president

There is a boy in my son’s class named [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]. I live in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] so I think people are aware of the connection but it doesn’t seem to bother his parents.

His dad’s name is [name_u]Nick[/name_u], which is why they picked it -which for me is a bit cheesy but to each their own!

1 Like

I think in many places familiar with US presidents, it would be an extremely prevalent connection. If I met a child with the name my first thought would be that the parents made the purposeful association. It would be a definite no for me on usage.

1 Like

Yeah, wouldn’t use and wouldn’t recommend using. It’s extremely connected- not like other presidential names. I would compare it to Reagan reputation wise but Reagan is used quite a bit and doesn’t automatically bring up the president to mind the way Nixon does.

I feel like Lennox has similar sounds, if that might interest you

I definitely think of the president but I wouldn’t assume the parents of a [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] were Republicans or that they supported [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]. I would view it just like [name_u]Reagan[/name_u], [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], [name_m]Pierce[/name_m], or any other president name.

1 Like

I think it’s different from the other presidential names because the sound is more unusual and [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] was disgraced. I would definitely avoid it. You could try [name_m]Knox[/name_m], [name_u]Nyx[/name_u] or [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] instead.

2 Likes

It’s a cool name, but wayyyy too connected to [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] and too bad a connotation there.

I know a girl who chose [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] for her son who is due soon. The first thing I thought was [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]. I asked a few other people to get their impression and it was the same, they could only associate it with [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m].

unfortunately, it just reads as really connected to me, and i’m not even american. because richard nixon has such a bad connotation, i don’t think it’s usable as a name.

I immediately think of [name_m]Nixon[/name_m]. It does seem notorious or infamously iconic, at least here in the US.

I think of the boarding / clothing brand.

I think it’s too strongly associated, sorry

I guess I am in minority. I should note though, that I am not in the USA, but am in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u]. I know a [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] and the presidential connection crossed my mind briefly, but that’s it. I wouldn’t know much about [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] in particular. I have never heard anyone comment on it irl either, but it’s possible that people have privately that I am not aware of. But it’s definitely not something he is teased or bullied over.

I’m in the US and I do think it’s pretty connected to the president. However, I actually know a young [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] and when I first met him I didn’t make that association. It’s got a cool, cowboy-esque sound to me but I do think people will make the presidential association.

I would say no to the name only because [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] was a real person (not fictional) and the history won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. Another thing I noticed when typing this out is most people refer to him as just [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] (I myself did this too just now when typing my response)— he’s almost like a [name_f]Beyoncé[/name_f] just needs the one name to know exactly who you are talking about.

Someone i grew up with just had a little boy and used this name, and honestly my first thought was the president. I grew up in a super conservative small town though so that doesn’t help the whole connection for me :sweat_smile:

I love love love [name_m]Nixon[/name_m] but I do think it’s too connected. Another one of my favorites is Ixion (pronounced the same minus the N) which you might like!

I think the connotation is probably too strong for my taste, and I would imagine most people would assume that it was to honor him. Probably not a good choice to be honest.