Is the name Susan too old fashioned?

My mothers name is Susan and if we have a girl we have been thinking about using the name susan. We would be calling her susie but I just wonder if it is too old fashion. I know it is not a popular name at all anymore. Also what is a good middle name for Susan?

4 Likes

I would say it’s dated, but it’s probably just about to come around the bend since we seem to be reaching back in the decades for name inspiration nowadays. You’d be ahead of the trend if you chose it. Personally, I prefer Susannah (nns “Suki” or “Zuzu” are just so darling), but Susan nn Susie is so sweet and has a special meaning to you, so I can see why you would choose it.

Susan Willow
Susan Eve (or if you’re into Susannah, Susannah Eve would be gorgeous)
Susan Magdalena

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] is not currently in style but it is sweet! I second [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] as a more fresh and current alternative!

1 Like

I do think [name_f]Susan[/name_f] is rather dated and dusty. Not ready for a comeback yet in my opinion. [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is definitely a fresher alternative, [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] nn [name_f]Susie[/name_f] is adorable and definitely usable.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Susan[/name_f], but you could always go for a variation of it, like [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] :two_hearts:

I disagree with the others so far! I think Susan is quite sweet, and I like it more than I like Susannah. Susan reminds me of Susan Pevensie of the Narnia books. She was my favorite character as a child, and I loved her name! It’s definitely an older, stuffier name compared to what’s trendy today (like Luna, Nova, and the like), but I think Susan is a warm, traditional, classic, and sweet name! Go for it!!

3 Likes

I think honouring your mother is so lovely and honour names are definitely the way to go they are meaningful, special and sacred. I would always choose an honour name and dismiss any possibility of not using that name because of worries regarding the name being dated or whatever you’ll never regret choosing such a meaningful name. That said [name_f]Susan[/name_f] does feel a little dusty the name doesn’t feel completely ready for a revival as of yet and I do prefer [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. I actually really love the femininity and elegance of [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. Anyways back to [name_f]Susan[/name_f] personally I would team the name with something a bit more modern maybe a cool nature name or word name.

You’ve had some suggestions so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Evadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Emerald[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Trinity[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Poetry[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Indigo[/name_u]

1 Like

I completely disagree with everyone so far except for @snowmaiden :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I 100% think that [name_f]Susan[/name_f] is ready for a revival and [name_f]Susie[/name_f] is adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: For me, she is up there with names like [name_f]Judith[/name_f] ‘Judy’ & [name_f]Irene[/name_f] ‘Reenie,’ getting ready to be heard again. Solid and traditional, you genuinely can’t go wrong with a name like [name_f]Susan[/name_f] :nerd_face:!

3 Likes

I also prefer [name_f]Susan[/name_f] over [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. Narnia’s [name_f]Susan[/name_f] definitely gives it a fresher face.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Susan[/name_f], and think it would be a nice choice for your daughter since it honors your mother. It may be unstylish right now, but on the plus side it’d be a recognizable yet uncommon name for your daughter’s generation.

For middle names you could go “traditional” like [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], or use a more “current” yet classic middle like [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] to help offset the dated feel.

I knew a young [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and it worked on her. Susanna/Susannah might feel fresher if you’re worried.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Ilaria[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

It’s definitely dated, but I still think it would be cute on a little girl.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Margalo[/name_f]

it’s dated, but it would work just fine on a little girl. if you’re still unsure, you might like susannah, just susie, suki, or lily, which susan means.

It does feel like it would fit better in the 50s, 60s or 70s but that doesn’t make it unusable. If it was something like [name_f]Hortensia[/name_f] i think it would be a different story. [name_f]Susan[/name_f] feels classic and ready for comeback and just ahead of the curve, plus I think [name_f]Susie[/name_f] is adorable. I do prefer [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] but [name_f]Susan[/name_f] is sweet and simple

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]

I think the honor name trumps all else and let’s be honest, [name_f]Susan[/name_f] is a great name. :slight_smile: A more modern/creative nickname could balance any reservations. Years and years ago, I saw [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] on here and always thought was a striking balance.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] or [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] or [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Wildflower[/name_f] or [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I think [name_f]Susan[/name_f] is totally usable but in case you want another option I thought I’d chime in. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom’s name is also [name_f]Susan[/name_f] and I’ve thought about using [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as an honor name for her, as [name_f]Susan[/name_f] means lily :slight_smile:

I personally don’t see it as dated, but then, I think I’m a younger generation than a lot of people here, so that could be why. I just associate it as a cute name and as the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] character. I also think [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] or [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] or a [name_f]Lily[/name_f] variant.

I personally do not think it’s too old fashioned! I think of [name_f]Susan[/name_f] as timeless, comparable to [name_u]Anne[/name_u] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

The fact that it’s not too popular also puts you in the position of being a trendsetter :sunglasses:

I do think it’s very old-fashioned and to be honest I can’t really see it on a child or a teen (I prefer [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] for that reason, it ages better imo) but maybe meeting a little [name_f]Susan[/name_f] could change my perspective.

I’d pair it with a more on-trend or fresh name:
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]