Is the name Willow too popular?

Our backup name we’re considering (in case we opt not to go with our initial pick) is [name_u]Willow[/name_u] (nickname Wills). Middle name would be [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. I really like unique names so I’m having a hard time with this one and hate the thought of my kid having to go by [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and her last name initial because there’s more Willow’s than just her. What do you think, is [name_u]Willow[/name_u] too popular?

1 Like

I love [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]! How pretty! I’m not sure it’s popular at all, at least in my area (Midwest, USA). I have never met someone named [name_u]Willow[/name_u]. :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve never met a [name_u]Willow[/name_u] (northwest USA but I’ve also lived on the [name_u]East[/name_u] [name_u]Coast[/name_u] USA). I’m also not sure it’s very popular, though it is a lovely name.

1 Like

Where I am (aus/nz) I would say yes. But doesn’t look too bad on US charts!

1 Like

[name_f]Remember[/name_f] that popular now isn’t the same as popular 30-50 years ago, we use a much wider range of names, so even the most popular names get given to fewer babies!

And no, I don’t think it’s too popular at all!

3 Likes

[name_m]Ive[/name_m] only ever met one [name_u]Willow[/name_u] :slight_smile:

1 Like

At #48, it’s too popular for me. BUT. I think it’s important to go with the name you really love no matter the popularity. No room for name regret here lol.

1 Like

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] is lovely! Are you in the U.S.? It might be helpful to look at your state-specific data to get a better sense of the usage in your area. Based on the national data, I think it’s likely that your [name_u]Willow[/name_u] would occasionally encounter another, but much less likely that she’d be one of multiple in her class. All that being said, [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] sounds a little bit like the name of a stream to me. It’s still lovely and usable, but between that and your concerns about popularity, I wonder if you might like the less-common [name_f]Willa[/name_f] as an alternative? I think [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] would be so sweet!

Tl;dr: I don’t think [name_u]Willow[/name_u] is “too popular”–I don’t really think any name is if you love it! But if you’re looking for an alternative, I’m drawn to [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] to avoid the descriptiveness of [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] as a combo.

1 Like

I’ve only ever met 1 [name_u]Willow[/name_u], so not too popular for me

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Willow[/name_u]! It is one that I would use despite the popularity. It is just outside of the top 20 in my state (tree names are big around here) however even with that popularity I’ve only met 1 and no one I know has used [name_u]Willow[/name_u].

1 Like

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] is so elegant, it is slightly popular but I think it’s too beautiful to be passed up for that reason. And [name_m]Wills[/name_m] is the most unique nickname I’ve heard for it thus far! I’m really into it.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] is sweet! I live in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and only met one. A clever and sensible little girl - ever since, I have loved the name.

1 Like

The popularity thing is hard to figure out, even with all the data at our disposal. For instance, I have never met anyone named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. Its ranked #14, but through all our playgroups, church, library, sports, parks, neighborhood, etc… I haven’t heard of a single [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. However, we know FOUR little boys named [name_m]Truman[/name_m], which is ranked #981. Haha it’s so hard to know which names will be trendy in which areas. To answer your question, I have personally never met anyone named [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and I think its a BEAUTIFUL name! But if popularity is an important factor to you, then I do think it’s ranked high enough that you could potentially have other Willows in your daughter’s school or extracurriculars. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any other tree names? [name_f]Maple[/name_f] is gorgeous too!

1 Like

I wouldn’t focus too much on the popularity. If you like the name, go for it. It’s popular for a reason, because it’s beautiful! Willow Brooke is such a stunning combination. Also, I have never met one Olivia and its ranked first in popularity. Who knows, Willow might go down several ranks in the upcoming years anyway.

1 Like