Is this a weird idea? (Titanic Names)

With the 100th anniversary of the Titanic shipwreck coming up on [name]April[/name] 10th, I decided to look up the victims list and had the idea that using names from the victims list would be a cool way to honor the dead, especially the children who didn’t have a chance for life. Like one little 2yr old girl named [name]Helen[/name] [name]Loraine[/name]. Or naming after people in the heroic engine room workers who kept the ships electricity running until 2 min before sinking even when they were allowed to leave. Or other useable names from the victims list like, [name]Elin[/name] [name]Ester[/name] [name]Maria[/name], [name]Ida[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Margareta[/name], [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Anna[/name] [name]Maria[/name], [name]Ebba[/name] [name]Iris[/name] [name]Alfrida[/name], [name]Sigrid[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] or [name]Filip[/name] [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Adrien[/name] [name]Finnin[/name], [name]Edward[/name] [name]Gifford[/name], [name]Pierre[/name] [name]Giuseppe[/name], [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Flemming[/name], etc.
My husband thought it was a bizzare and strange idea.
What do ya’ll think. Cool way to honor the dead, or just morbid?

Here was the website incase anyone was interested:

I think you’re crazy. Sounds way to creepy to me.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea. There are probably some cool names on the list.

I think it’s beautiful, in a ever-so-slightly morbid way. You could probably find some beautiful and classic names on that list, and what a cool thing for someone to be able to explain their name from. I might reserve it for a child born on that exact day though, unless you’re really into the Titanic yourself.

I see nothing morbid about wanting to honour the dead… when it’s someone you know.

But picking names off the Titanic because of the hundred year anniversary, I find that a little odd.

My point wasn’t picking the name because it was the anniversary, the anniversary just reminded me of it and gave me the idea. Perusing the list you will find many beautiful names and of course with the baby name 100 year rule, it’s plain to see that many on the list are back in fashion.
Also, many people honor dead people they don’t know (like famous role models, princess [name]Diana[/name], Mother [name]Teresa[/name], etc) and I think its better to use a name that has some noble meaning rather than simply using a name because it sounds pretty but doesn’t have any particular personal meaning.

But anyhow, if anything, I think this list will give some people really great ideas with all the interesting names and combinations, and if someone perusing the list sees a favorite comes up, then it can just be an interesting bit of info to know that someone on the Titanic was named the same.

It would be nice to honor the victims this way but yes, it is a bit morbid seeming at first. Though I suppose it’s really not any different than me naming a baby after my aunt’s baby who died in infancy long before I was born.

Yes but Mother [name]Teresa[/name], [name]Princess[/name] [name]Diana[/name], actors, musicians, etc are all people we know in a sense, sure we dont know what they were like behind closed doors but we choose these names to honor their charitable acts, musical talent, and so on.

The only thing you know about these people (aside from people like the Astors) is that they were on the Titanic and I think more than anything it seems like you’re just finding cool names off a list of people who died instead of “honoring” them which is probably why it seems so strange.

^ This. I don’t think your idea deserves the bashing it’s getting and I know you don’t mean any offence by it but some people might perceive it as strange or even disrespectful.

For me it is a bit creepy if you would call you daughter for example [name]Helen[/name] [name]Loraine[/name] just to honor a 2 year old on Titanic. I would like the idea if it would be a family member. But the whole idea just gives me a creepy feeling, also when your daughter or son finds out his or her name is found on the dead list of the Titanic is a bit odd to me. My honest opinion? Yes, I think it is weird.

Its a little morbid…BUT I also think that if you’re looking for names you should browse every list available to you! If you find a cool name or cool name combo then awesome…but maybe look in other places too and just use the Titanic list to look for ideas, rather than names in an ‘honoring the dead’ kind of way. [name]Just[/name] remember the power of google…if your child wanted to look themselves up, it might be disconcerting to see their name in a list of people killed in the Titanic disaster.

I think it would be creepy and the kid probably, if she finds out, would wish you hadn’t named her something so… morbid. Maybe just take the first name and add your own middle name? Better yet, create your own first name, and use the other as a middle name? It would still seem creepy to me since that is where you are getting it from, but at least your not totally naming her after a dead person you don’t know!

I get naming kids after family members, even though I don’t really like it since I want my kids to feel unique, but that is more understandable then naming it after someone you don’t know.

I think if you happen to come across a name you like so what

My sisters name ([name]Amy[/name]) is what my mum saw on a gravestone years before and liked the name, it was going to be my name but my dad got his way and i was named [name]Lauren[/name], next came my brother, then my sister came along and my mum got a chance to use the name. My sister doesnt think its werid.

It is the 100th Anniversary of the sinking and (i dont know where you are all based, im in [name]London[/name] [name]England[/name]) and there is so many programmes around the tragedy that it raises more curiosity.

If it helps you pick a name you love and it may be one you may not have come across anywhere else, maybe not use the full name but if there is a name you like why not.

Well, people get inspiration from a number of sources so I don’t think names taken from the Titanic are any different. That being said, I would advise you to look over the list and if one name jumps out at you, then choose it because you love it. I wouldn’t use a person’s full name though because that would be too much.

I’m with your husband here. It seems odd and morbid to me.

Two of my favorite stock combos can be found on the 1st class passenger list: [name]Julia[/name] [name]Florence[/name] and [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]. [name]Both[/name] women survived, but even if they hadn’t, I wouldn’t consider myself to be honoring them if I used their names. I picked the names because I love them, before I knew they were borne by Titanic passengers, not because I have any connection to those women or to the Titanic.

I have nothing against using the Titanic lists as a source. I look for names everywhere. I love to walk through graveyards taking note of the names, for example; trolling a list of passengers looking for great names is no different. But calling it honoring, and especially seeking out the names of the dead children…that’s where the ick factor kicks in, at least for me.

[name]Inspiration[/name] can come from anywhere, and I think that list will probably garner some fantastic authentically vintage names for inspiration. People find names all over the place and honestly, most namesakes for children, whether family, famous or otherwise are usually dead. So, I don’t see how this is all that creepy or morbid unless you are a person who is creeped out by death in general. If you are at all concerned though, you could always draw inspiration and mix and match names rather than copy an exact name. I am a lover of history, and think I would have fun researching my namesake if it were the case with my own name. :slight_smile:

I’m very much not in favour of “honoring the dead” with naming. Unless it’s someone of immense personal importance to you, or something, and even then I’m not 100% gunghoe for it.

A child is their own individual, they should get their own name, not a recycled version of someone elses with no real original intentions, especially with such a tragedy hanging over the name.
It’s very morbid, and a bit unnecessary imo. I’m sure the people who died had their names honored in their own families. It’s kind of weird to go take another family’s tragedy name and use it to honor them.
I personally wouldn’t appreciate it, but that’s just me.

I don’t think it’s too weird. I kind of like the idea of using one of the childrens name, because they never had the chance to live. The engineer’s names make sense too. The others don’t to me. I mean it could be that the one you chose was a horrible man, a really mean woman. You don’t even know these people. [name]Just[/name] because they died on the Titanic doesn’t mean they were heroes or great people or whatever.

If you just chose a name you like that’s fine. But naming a child after a person you never met, I wouldn’t do that.

I don’t think it’s bad to find inspiration from the lists. There’s some lovely old names on there. The idea of using one of the children’s names to honor the spirit that didn’t get a chance at life is a lovely and sweet idea, but I wouldn’t try to honor anyone else. I agree with taylorblueskye that the grown man or woman you pick could have been a horrible person.

I actually think I’ll do a blog post inspired by this idea. I was thinking of doing on anyway, but I think I might mention you and this idea if that’s fine with you.

I agree with this completely!

It’s also rumored that my grandmother’s ancestors came over on the Mayflower, so I’ve considered using a name (like [name]Peregrine[/name], [name]Love[/name], or Humility) to honor them. If you have a familial connection to the Titanic (and you’re having a baby in 2012!) I would think it would be a sweet, memorable gesture. I actually really love the idea. And I’m sure there are a lot of gems.