Is this in poor taste?

So I found a really pretty name Avielle (A-v-elle). One problem via my research on the name I found out that this is the name of one of the victims of the [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] Hook shooting victims. Does it put this name out of bounds and thus in poor taste if used or is it fine?

I don’t think so. If we ruled out every name that’s associated with a tragedy we’d have very few names left to use.

I don’t see why it would be in poor taste.

I don’t think that makes it unusable. If it doesn’t bother you then you should use it.

Agree with lumen. There are millions of names associated with tragedies. It’s not possible to just stop using all of them, and honestly you will probably never come across someone who knows the name of the [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] Hook victim and associates it with your baby. I think you’re 100% in the clear. It’s definitely not disrespectful or in poor taste.

Of course not

Not in poor taste at all, unless you live in that town or something of that nature.

Second this.

Unless you’re close friends with her family or live in her community and it’s all close knit/small town, then no, I think it’s fine.

As others have said, millions of names have been linked to tragedy, we can’t rule them all out, and it’s not a single victim crime - if this had been a national news story that was etched in everyone’s minds where a single victim had been made known to everyone (kind of like in my community with [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] [name_m]French[/name_m]), then I would be a little cautious.

As long as you’re not actually naming your kid [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] Hook, I think you’re good.

Honestly, I don’t think anybody would even notice. Like other people said, if we stopped using all names of people involved with tragedy, we’d have like 10 names left. I mean, people still use [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_m]Richard[/name_m] and those were names of serial killers.