Is this name too out there?

So I just read the post at Appellation Mountain on the name [name]Vesper[/name]. (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/12/24/name-of-the-day-vesper/)

Is this name too weird or too [name]James[/name] [name]Bond[/name]-associated to use? I mentioned it to my husband and for once he liked a name I suggested! I think it has a soft sound, but a sort of cool and hip look. Plus, we’re both Catholic, so I like the connotation with the prayers.

But is it too not-like-a-regular-name? Our first daughter is [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] and we’ve gotten so many compliments on her name, I would hate for her sister to have a name that makes people go, “huh?” On the other hand… I do think it’s pretty and interesting… What are your thoughts, Name-o-philes? :slight_smile:

We’d probably be using my husband’s mother’s name as a middle name: [name]Vesper[/name] [name]Rosalinda[/name].

Thanks!

I think [name]Vesper[/name] is a beautiful name. Yes, it is different and unique, but I think it has a gorgeous sound and I also like the connection to prayer. My husband went to school with a girl who had the nickname Espie (Es-pee, short for [name]Esperanza[/name]), and I always thought that was a cute nickname and one that would work with [name]Vesper[/name]!

I say that if both you and your husband love it, go for it!

Next to [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Vesper[/name] sounds almost boyish to me whereas [name]Juliette[/name] is very feminine.
It also makes me think of [name]Vespa[/name] scooters.

You might like the name [name]Ora[/name], which means ‘prayer’.
[name]Ora[/name] [name]Rosalinda[/name] would be pretty.

I’m sorry, but my opinion is that this name is just absolutely awful!

And [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] is so beautiful! [name]Juliette[/name] and [name]Vesper[/name] as sisters sounds insane to me.

[name]Rosalinda[/name], on the other hand is very pretty, and would work well with [name]Juliette[/name] (as would [name]Rosalind[/name]). If i were you, I would put this name in first place. Ordinarily if someone loves a name that just doesn’t seem right for the first spot, I would suggest putting it in the middle. But I can’t even bring myself to suggest [name]Rosalinda[/name] [name]Vesper[/name].

I hate to be harsh and I wish I had something more constructive to say than just that I don’t like it (especially since I don’t know you and my opinion is truly insignificant). I guess what I’m trying to say, in the interest of honest discourse about the name, is [name]Vesper[/name] is very harsh and abrasive, the kind of name that invites strong negative reactions. Of course, any name will meet people who don’t love it or who feel it is not their style; this is more a matter of degree in terms of how most people will react to the name as well as how their reaction will likely venture beyond a mere “not my style” and into the territory of “oh no.” The foremr you can quickly move past and get to associate the name with the person, while the latter seems to haunt a person’s identity and be a source of irritation every time you have to say their name. Ultimately, [name]Vesper[/name] is a name that seems to have the potential to rub most people the wrong way (including, possibly, your daughter who might end up less than pleased to have this name especially in the shadow of big sister [name]Juliette[/name]).

I actually really like the name [name]Vesper[/name], even though I can see how some people think it sounds a little harsher than [name]Juliette[/name].

Personally I think they go well together, but obviously the reactions you get here at Nameberry are very indicative of what reactions you are likely to get in the real world; in other words, people will be either love it or hate it.

Can you try running the name by some trusted family members to see how they react?

Ultimately it’s your choice, and people will grow to associate any name you choose with a beautiful baby girl. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

hmmm… I have decided if I like the name [name]Vesper[/name]…
I dont think I like it with [name]Juliette[/name] though…
She should have a pretty, feminine name to match her sister…

Sorry to be so upfront but people will say, " What were you thinking of when you named her [name]Vesper[/name]!" They will think you have gone mad after choosing the always delightful and charming [name]Juliet[/name] for you first child.

[name]Vesper[/name] the viper! Ugh!

[name]Hi[/name],

I really love the name [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name], but I personally can’t see [name]Vesper[/name] and [name]Juliette[/name] as sisters. Compared to [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Vesper[/name] sounds quite masculine to me, and I think of [name]Vespa[/name] scooters. I can better see [name]Rosalinda[/name] (or [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Rosaline[/name], [name]Rose[/name], Rosabel, etc.) and [name]Juliette[/name] as sisters than I can [name]Juliette[/name] and [name]Vesper[/name].

Good luck!

[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] is so very beautiful! I really do not like [name]Vesper[/name], it has such a different feel…

I love [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]!

To me, [name]Vesper[/name] doesn’t match [name]Juliette[/name] in style, I am afraid. The -ER ending makes it much less feminine, and it seems modern in comparison. The first thing I think of upon hearing it are Vespas, too (the motorbikes).

I love the suggestion of [name]Ora[/name], though.

Good luck!

I like the name [name]Vesper[/name], but agree that people would go “huh?”, especially paired with [name]Juliette[/name]- [name]Vesper[/name] and [name]Juliette[/name] doesnt flow for me.

Good [name]Luck[/name].

[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] is gorgeous! However i do not like [name]Vesper[/name]. It sounds very mean and violent to me, along of the lines of [name]Gunner[/name], [name]Talon[/name], [name]Striker[/name], so on and so forth. It sounds very masculine and they just dont go asa sib set to me

sorry:.(

I really do like [name]Vesper[/name], especially with [name]Rosalind[/name] (which femmes it up a little).

It is a little different to [name]Juliette[/name], but chances are they will be glad to have names seperate to each other.

I say go for it!

I really like it :slight_smile:

I agree that it doesn’t go too well with [name]Juliette[/name] but I don’t think that sibling names have to go really well together. Mine and my brothers names are completely diffrent, different syllables, different styles and different origins and no-one has ever been shocked or asked why we have such different names. I definitely say go for it if you really love it!

good luck :slight_smile:

I love it!!!

[name]Hi[/name] - I think [name]Vesper[/name] sounds very masculine, unfortunately. Especially when paired with [name]Juliette[/name], which is a very feminine girl’s name. [name]How[/name] about [name]Veronica[/name] [name]Rosalinda[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name] - I think [name]Vesper[/name] sounds very masculine, unfortunately. Especially when paired with [name]Juliette[/name], which is a very feminine girl’s name. [name]How[/name] about [name]Veronica[/name] [name]Rosalinda[/name]?[/quote]

Thanks for all the replies. I really like the sound and feel of [name]Vesper[/name], but I definitely recognize what many of you are saying about it not “going with” [name]Juliette[/name]. Part of me, however, kind of likes that the two names are so different – it kind of seems to reflect who we are as a family, a big mix of different individuals.

I like the suggestion of [name]Ora[/name] – I’ll have to see what my DH thinks about that.

Not so fond of [name]Veronica[/name] – it always sounded like a villain (villainess) name to me when I was growing up.

Funny how names sound so different to different people. There have been a lot of comments on how [name]Vesper[/name] sounds harsh or masculine, but I think it comes out of the mouth really softly and almost whisper-like.

I don’t know that I’m totally sold on it, so it was good to hear all of these comments. We’ll see… any other suggestions out there?