Is this name too unusual?

I recently discovered the name [name]Hannelore[/name] and I actually really like it. It is a classic [name]German[/name] name and it is pronounced Han-eh-lore or Han-eh-lor-ay. Which do you like better?

It sort of reminds me of one of my favorite names [name]Hermione[/name] but without the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] association. What do you guys think? Pretty or just too weird sounding?

Some nicknames I like are [name]Nell[/name], [name]Nelly[/name], and [name]Lorie[/name] :slight_smile:

My first instinct is that it reminds me of the word “folklore” too much for me to actually use, but I think it’s actually really pretty sounding and has the nice nn option of [name]Hannah[/name] (or however you’d spell it). So even though it’d be unusual, it’s not outrageous or anything. I think I like Han-eh-lore best as the pronunciation because it sounds kind of like [name]Eleanor[/name].

I have a friend with a daughter named [name]Hannelore[/name]. She pronounces it Ha (as in a-ha!)-nuh-laura. Her nickname is [name]Hanne[/name] (Ha-nuh). She lived in Germany for years and is fluent so I think she’s getting the pronunciation right, but I don’t know. I love this name and give it a big thumbs up!

No, not too unusual at all! You may not meet anyone else with the name, and probably lots will never have heard of it, but it is made up of very familiar sounds. My concern is that it would get shortened to [name]Hannah[/name], which is far too common. [name]Nellie[/name] and [name]Lorie[/name] are cute though, and may solve that problem.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys :slight_smile:

I am hoping that whether you pronounce the first Han as han like in [name]Hanna[/name] or ha as in haha has more to do with your language and where you live than an actual correct pronounciation, as I hate butchering names just to make them sound more “trendy”.

I think the pronunciation Han-uh-laura sounds too much like Hanukkah and menorah mixed together to my ear. Since I am not Jewish I don’t think that association is fitting.

I read somewhere than the original name [name]Anneliese[/name] is actually pronounced more like [name]Annalisa[/name], and it is just the Americanized form that is pronounced [name]Anneliese[/name]. I’m not sure on that one though.

Bah- sorry for all the rambling! I guess I just want to ask if you think “americanizing” the name to sound like a mixture of [name]Hannah[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] is butchering the name and ruining the charm. I do think I like the Han-eh-lore pronunciation the best now that I think about it.

I am [name]German[/name] and here in Germany [name]Hannelore[/name] is really, really old-fashioned. It was popular when my grandma was small. That’s because I don’t like this name at all.

For everyone who wants to know the correct pronunciation:
Here you can listen to it:

and [name]Anneliese[/name]:

This pronunciation is correct. When [name]German[/name] words end in a consonant followed by an E, it is pronounced as an A, e.g. [name]Anne[/name] sounds like [name]Anna[/name].

And I think [name]Hannelore[/name] is a lovely, unusual choice, made accessible by lots of familiar nickname options - [name]Hanne[/name] ([name]Hannah[/name]), [name]Lore[/name] ([name]Laura[/name]) and even [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Nellie[/name].

[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Just[/name] thought to add that this is also correct.

Good luck! [name]Auburn[/name]

I love this name, I want to use it as a mn!

Thanks for clearing that up for me, [name]Auburn[/name]!

It did clear up some of my fears as I don’t think most people would consider pronouncing the name [name]Anneliese[/name] (without the a at the end) is butchering the name, rather just making it sound more appropriate in this culture with the giving spelling.

I also loved the other poster’s idea of using it as a middle name- that is a great option!

I have to wonder where the pronunciation with an -ay came from. Is that a real French form (which would have to be spelled Hannelor”) or a form made by an English speaker trying to sound French?

Unusual? Yes. The pronunciation requires explaining, but is easy (and pretty!) enough. I would never have thought of it as an alternative to [name]Hermione[/name], but I suppose I favor it for one of the same reasons. If you like non-silent E endings, your main options are French* (long A), [name]German[/name] (schwa/short A) and Greek (long E).

I feel that, if I like [name]Anneliese[/name] and [name]Hannelore[/name], I should be able to come around to [name]Lieselotte[/name] and Cl”renore, but those remind me of English names I don’t like.

*And, I suppose, Japanese…

Um I so love the name [name]Hannelore[/name]!! I’m so excited that you do too!!
I would use the ‘lore’ ending myself. I think its gorgeous! It is actually the name of a fairly well known model (in the fashion world) [name]Hannelore[/name] Knuts (I think she is Belgian, not sure). There is another model named [name]Hanne[/name] [name]Gaby[/name] Odiele, and I just love this name. I say absolutley go for it!! :slight_smile:

[name]Hannelore[/name] is pretty. I don’t care if it’s old-fashioned in Germany. At least it’s traditional and not a foreign name like [name]Kevin[/name] that Europeans seem to use a lot.

I really like [name]Hannelore[/name], and I think you could get lots of cute nns out of it as well. I would prn it Ha-na-lor-uh. In [name]German[/name] ending Es are prn with an a sound, kinda like “uh” or “ah” but not really like “ay.” My mn for example is [name]Liane[/name] prn [name]Lee[/name]-an-uh (and no my real name isnt [name]Leah[/name] [name]Liane[/name], that would terrible lol).

Here is a link that allows you to listen to the prn of various [name]German[/name] names:

http://www.nordicnames.de/Aussprache.html