is this too out there?

My Grandfather’s name is [name]Clayton[/name] and he is one of our favorite people in the whole word. We would love to honor him by naming out child after him. I have a couple of 2nd/3rd cousins that are named after him with [name]Clay[/name] as a first or middle name. With a little girl I kind of like the idea of naming her
Cleighton [name]Anna[/name]
or
[name]Leighton[/name] [name]Anna[/name]

kind of like [name]Leighton[/name] Meester from gossip girl. I don’t really like names after famous people so I would rather go with Cleighton but is that too out there. Would people always think she was a boy named [name]Clayton[/name]?

I have to admit that it doesn’t sound very feminine to me, but unisex names are in style, so …
But for something more feminine, how about
[name]Clea[/name] (alt. spelling Claya)
[name]Cleta[/name] (alt. spelling Clayta)

Or think about what you associate with [name]Clay[/name]/[name]Clayton[/name]. Perhaps the colore [name]Sienna[/name] brown to get the name [name]Sienna[/name]? Or [name]Coco[/name]?

I would have to admit that most people would think your girl is in fact a boy. And it is never a good situation when your child goes to their first day of kindergarter and an illinformered teacher gives her a blue name tag, ya know? i think leighton is beautiful. and with the gossip girl assosication. That show has been doing very badly and will likely not be around much longer. She is not the kind of actress/musician to be remembered forever. [name]Hope[/name] it helps:)

I think [name]Leighton[/name] is very pretty. I do like unisex names for girls. Actually “[name]Leigh[/name]” is very feminine so the name visually looks more feminine to me than other unisex names. I think this would be a great way to honor your grandfather. Personally I wouldn’t use Cleighton or [name]Clayton[/name] for girl as this name does seem too masculine . As for school, when you fill out the paper work for your child you check whether they are a male or female.

Wouldn’t your grandfather find it a little strange that you are naming a daughter after him? I can just see my grandfather saying ‘but that is a boy’s name’ and being totally confused as to why you would be thinking of giving your daughter a boy’s name.

Of course in the middle name spot it is perfectly acceptable, so why not put it in the mn spot? [name]Anna[/name] is a pretty name I am sure that grandfather would prefer his great grandchild, a girl to have a tried and true classic girl’s name in the first name spot.

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Clayton[/name]

I saw this old-fashioned name in a book I have been reading. It is a little more feminine than your choice, although I I like Cleighton. The name I saw was [name]Clella[/name]. [name]Clella[/name] [name]Anna[/name] (it has the same beginning sound as [name]Clayton[/name]). I think your grandfather would be proud to have a little girl named after him.