Is this too similar?

I’m trans, and have recently come across the same [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], which I could see myself using. It sounds similar to a nickname that was based on my legal name, and I like how it means “little seal” because I love all things to do with the ocean. However, I have a younger cousin (8 years younger) whose name is [name_u]Rowen[/name_u]. The obvious solution would be to ask him and his parents how they feel about it, but the only family I’m out to is my older sister right now. We’re close to them, and I’m sure the similarity would be noticed if I ever did come out. I wouldn’t want to start going by it and have to change it later…

Does anyone have any opinions and/or suggestions? I’m open to other names, I think something that goes well with my sisters [name_u]Madison[/name_u] and [name_f]Melody[/name_f] would be nice (although I’ve looked through plenty of M names and don’t vibe with any, so definitely don’t stick to that connection). I was born on a day that has to do with space, and was also named after something in space, so I guess there’s something there… [name_u]Or[/name_u], maybe you think that using [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] would be fine? Let me know!

1 Like

hello!

I believe Ronan is a quite nice name, and if you feel comfortable with it, then go for it! Rowen and Ronan are similar, but there are obvious differences too. I think that it is a quite nice name too! So, I think that it would be completely appropriate to use Ronan as your name

I’ve known cousins with similiar names, so it’s not unusual. I think you should go with the name that feels right for you :slight_smile:

[name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_u]Murphy[/name_u], [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] came to mind

I think [name_u]Rowen[/name_u] and [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] will be a little bit confusing, but that ultimately it’s fine. :relaxed:

I would say it depends on how often you see said cousin. If you see him every week, then I would be more hesitant, but if you only see him at holidays or a couple times a year, then it’s fine. For siblings it would be far too similar, but for cousins 8 years apart, I think it’s fine.
Here are some suggestions, though:
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]

2 Likes

I’d say go with [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] if you absolutely love it, but perhaps think of a nn (Maybe just Ro?) for when you’re around [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. I do think they’re quite similar, so it may be confusing. But it depends on how often you see this part of your family. If it’s once or twice a year, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Not sure if you’re looking for non-binary names exactly, but I’ve pulled some from my own non-binary list of names and tried to find ones with ties to the sea.

Related to the Sea/Water:
Ciprien/Cyprien

Surnames-as-first-names, related to the Sea/Water:
Marlow/Marlowe
[name_u]Calloway[/name_u] (nn Cal)
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_u]Coast[/name_u]
[name_u]Banks[/name_u]

“R” Names
Rémy/Rémi (Rémi is used for boys in France)
[name_m]Rider[/name_m]
[name_u]Ramsey[/name_u]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]

Other Names:
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_u]Tiernan[/name_u]

Best of [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

They’re definitely close in sound.

I love the suggestion of [name_u]Robin[/name_u]! Not oceany but great nature connection and similar without the same sounds.
Good luck

I don’t think [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowen[/name_u] are too close.

[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] is a great name. Yes it’s very similar to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] so I agree with the Berries who have said that using [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] would be easier if you are not often in your cousin’s company. Like @Greyblue said, cousins do end up with similar names all the time.
I thought it might be worth suggesting [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. Is this one that you’ve considered? [name_u]An[/name_u] M- name with the ‘ro’ sound. Apologies if it leans fem for you, I’ve heard that on this site. I find it unisex leaning masc, myself.

Good luck with finding a name you are happy with, I hope you find the one very soon.

2 Likes

Other ideas:
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Brooks[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (born by the sea)
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
[name_u]Sailor[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Nolan[/name_u]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]