Is this weird

so i’ve been loving the name dashiell with the nn dash. the problem is, growing up i had a dog named dash. we adopted him and just kept the name he had, we didn’t pick it out. so is it super weird to keep the name dashiell/dash on my list for a baby boy if it was the name of a dog i had? ty!

I don’t think it’s weird at all.

Personally I don’t think it matters. I doubt your son is going to feel upset about having the same nickname as your childhood dog.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t bother you, it’s fine!

If you don’t have a problem with it, it should be fine. Personally, I wouldn’t be able to do it. I love the name that my family named my childhood dog, but I don’t think I would ever be able to use that on a child. All I could think about is my dog.

It would feel weird for me, but if it doesn’t feel weird for you then it’s totally fine! :grin:

If I were a boy I would have been [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] “Sam” and my dad had a dog named [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] “Sam” growing up, so not weird!

So long as it doesn’t bother you!! I would probably consider using some of my guinea names as baby names

I think it’s fine as long as it doesn’t bother you! Actually I grew up with a guy whose mother purposely named him after her childhood dog :woman_shrugging: He was fine

Nah, that’s not weird!

[name_f]My[/name_f] mother and uncle growing up had a black poodle named [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], and later on a Yorkshire terrier named [name_u]Maxime[/name_u].

[name_f]My[/name_f] uncle’s firstborn is [name_m]Padraig[/name_m] and my mother’s is [name_u]Max[/name_u].

No one noticed until my cousin and brother were 30 and 17

2 Likes

Basically this is exactly how I feel. I love the names of both of my childhood dogs, and they’re commonly known “people” names. I have other reasons I can’t use either of them, but I wouldn’t be able to do it based on that alone.

In fact, when I decided to name my cat Daphne, I took it off my list for future children (which I probably won’t have, but I have a list just in case).

That said, this is an individual decision, if you can do it then I think it’s fine!