Is Timothy doomed to be shortened?

This is a very good point. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother is [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] family and I always call him [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather goes by [name_u]Tony[/name_u] so that’s probably why my brother was never called [name_u]Tony[/name_u]. Then in 8th grade he joined the wrestling team and his teammates started calling him [name_u]Tony[/name_u] and it stuck all through high school and college. Now he goes by [name_u]Tony[/name_u]. The family still calls him [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]. I think. I know I do.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I know a [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], he is [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] by his family, and he is [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] with his friends. Although he always introduces himself as [name_u]Timothy[/name_u].

1 Like

I dated a guy in college whose name was [name_u]David[/name_u]. Whenever his mom overheard someone call him [name_m]Dave[/name_m], she’d yell “ID, DAVE-ID!” She did it enough times that it stuck and [name_u]David[/name_u] felt strongly about going by…David haha. If you push it enough and he prefers the name [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], then people will get on board. I know people named [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] that are called nothing but those names. So if it’s on the school roster, and that’s what they tell friends their name is, then it’s a pretty sure thing that’s what they’ll be called the majority of the time.

1 Like