Is Timothy doomed to be shortened?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!

I’ve always struggled much more with finding boy than girl names, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I really like long, soft, old fashioned boys names. Recently, I’ve been crushing on [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] (Wouldn’t [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] just be the cutest set of brothers??), but unfortunately I don’t really like the nicknames [name_m]Tim[/name_m] or [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would be hard to just have him go by the full [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], especially since the nicknames are so common?

Also, if anyone can think of any unusual nicknames for [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], I’d love to hear! For example, I love the nn [name_m]Nash[/name_m] for [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] even though it is a little stretchy.

Thank you all! (As always, not expecting, just daydreaming :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

2 Likes

[name_f]Do[/name_f] I think it might be hard? To be honest, yes. I’ve never encountered a [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] who wasn’t [name_m]Tim[/name_m], [name_m]Timmy[/name_m], etc. And I’ve known quite a few of them.

But is it impossible? No. It would just require correction on the part of [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], and you would have to be okay with the possibility that he might choose to be [name_m]Tim[/name_m] or [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] later on.

2 Likes

that’s the reason why [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] will always remain on my middles only list, I unfortunately think it’d be hard to avoid [name_m]Tim[/name_m] & [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]. [name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] I’ve known has shortened it, or has had other people shorten it for them. I think it’s possible to be just [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], but I’m not sure the nicknames are avoidable forever!

some other (stretchy) nicknames:
Moth
[name_m]Ty[/name_m]
[name_m]Timo[/name_m]
[name_m]Teo[/name_m] / [name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_u]Mo[/name_u]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
[name_u]Monty[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and Nathaniel!!

I think most folks will default to [name_m]Tim[/name_m] or [name_m]Timmy[/name_m], unfortunately. But [name_m]Timothee[/name_m] Chalamet is known professionally by his full name. And in the movie The Odd Life of [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u], they always use the full name. Those are random examples but my point is that they both sound perfectly natural. [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] in full isn’t odd, probably just more unusual.

[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] would be darling brothers!! :heart:

I think it would be a bit hard to keep it [name_u]Timothy[/name_u]. You can introduce him as [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and correct it when others try to shorten it. However, I would keep in mind that he may want to be [name_m]Tim[/name_m] or [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]. When we give our children names, they become theirs to use, shorten, etc. That isn’t to say that you couldn’t still call him [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] while his friends call him [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] but he may have a preference as he grows…

4 Likes

I think it’d be fine! The only [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] I knew was just [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] never [name_m]Tim[/name_m] and he never had any problems. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if he gets the occasional [name_m]Tim[/name_m] it’d be a quick correction from you or him if he’s old enough to say he doesn’t like [name_m]Tim[/name_m] if he doesn’t. I think [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] are such cool bros! [name_f]My[/name_f] first though as a nn to go with [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] nn [name_m]Nash[/name_m] was [name_m]Thane[/name_m]! [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] nn [name_m]Thane[/name_m] is kinda stretchy but I think it goes really well with [name_m]Nash[/name_m]. [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_u]Thames[/name_u] are some others that I think go well

[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] stretchy nickname ideas:
Mitty
[name_m]Mitt[/name_m]
[name_u]Mo[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_u]Otter[/name_u]

All the Timothys I’ve met have gone by [name_m]Tim[/name_m] (or Timmy) and I do think it’s one of those that if people automatically shorten names, they will shorten this one. That said, you could always correct it and your kind might follow that example.

Some nn ideas for Timothy…

[name_m]Tom[/name_m]
[name_u]Tommy[/name_u]
Moth
[name_u]Mo[/name_u]
[name_m]Moss[/name_m]
Thyo/Thio/Theo/Tio
[name_m]Timmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ty[/name_m]

The only Timothy i know is always known as Othy. I prefer Timothy as a full but it will probably get shortened in some way sadly

Honestly, yeah! I think some names are so connected to their nicknames that people automatically switch between the two, probably without even noticing. Could you go around and tell everyone “no nickname please” sure, but that might be too much effort given that eventually he’ll be in daycare, etc. and you won’t have any control over it.

I think it’s completely avoidable. I know a large family and all of them have names that have very intuitive and popular nicknames and none of them go by those nicknames. Some people might try and nickname [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] but a simple correction (or introduction if a different nickname) will easily solve the problem.

I love [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], and [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] & [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] would be a beautiful set! I do think [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] can be just [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] in this day and age. But I think Thio could be a fun, stretchy nickname!

[name_f]My[/name_f] sons name is [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], I’m in love with it. We call him [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], [name_m]Tim[/name_m], and [name_m]Timmy[/name_m]. I always introduce him as [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and I hope he does the same when he’s older but I don’t mind the cute nicknames at all. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@itsjustjack @namergirl3 Very true, I don’t think I know any just Timothys either! And yes, that’s something I would have to come to terms with before picking it haha

@regionlatbest @snowmaiden @Greyblue @somemelodioussonnet I LOVE the nickname [name_u]Theo[/name_u]! I’ve always liked it but never liked [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], so this is actually a really exciting idea for me haha

@QuirkFlower That’s true, I forgot about [name_m]Timothee[/name_m] Chalamet! I think you’re right about it being more uncommon haha

@leafygreens [name_m]Thane[/name_m] is super awesome! I love [name_u]Theo[/name_u], and I actually like [name_u]Thames[/name_u] a lot, as I have done a water sport competitively for the last 5 ish years!

1 Like

@october.sunflower Othy is so interesting! Is it said like Uh-thee or OTH-ee?

@OpheliaFlora I fear you’re right :grimacing: I have a cousin [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] whose mom didn’t want anyone to call him [name_m]Matt[/name_m], but lo and behold it happened haha

@PRSing Thank you! That gives me some confidence :slight_smile:

@oceanmama97 Awww that’s so sweet! So glad you could fall in love with it too :slight_smile: [name_u]An[/name_u] idea of a little [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] is just so precious haha

1 Like

Oh-thee, like rhyming with frothy !!

1 Like

it’ll likely be hard, but totally doable! thinking of it without experiencing it, sounds harder than in reality!
i know a little guy named michael - just michael, not a single nickname. he’s always introduced and talked about as michael, so no one questions or tries anything other than that.

just yesterday i saw another one with an uncommon double barrel combo of usually standalone names, 4 syllables total, and it works just fine!

1 Like

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] is lovely! I especially [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] & [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] very handsome pair :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] could be just [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] if you persist and correct every time his name is shortened to Tim/Timmy. However I think when he gets older it’ll be trickier to control the nickname that he chooses or his friends choose for him. For example I was [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (V by the majority of my immediate family) but purely [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] until I got to secondary school and was immediately called [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] a nickname I accepted for myself despite not liking. It’s very hard to control nicknames when you get older if your child isn’t introduced by his parents and he doesn’t have to confidence to say actually I’m known as x my name isn’t shortened. However my cousin K@therine did do that she never gets her name shortened so I think it depends on the individual. Personally I wouldn’t let Tim/Timmy deter you as [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] is gorgeous fits your brief feels like a fresh alternative to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & works wonderfully with [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]. You could go with [name_m]Timo[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner name is J0seph 0tim (0tim is a Ugandan name) he was affectionately called [name_m]Timo[/name_m] by his family and I think that nickname would work for [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] just like it works for 0tim.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

I think the bigger issue than you avoiding the nickname when he’s young is whether it would bother you if he decided he wants to be [name_m]Tim[/name_m] or [name_m]Timmy[/name_m] when he’s older. If he came to you at 13 and said he wants to be called [name_m]Tim[/name_m] now, would you cringe every time you had to say it? If yes, then I’m afraid I’d drop the name. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if the nicknames are avoidable, they’re also very connected to the name and are reasonable options for a person to pick to go by as they get older.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s coworker has a teenage son who goes by [name_u]Timothy[/name_u]. You just use the full version and most people will follow your lead. [name_m]Just[/name_m] as I dated a [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] who refused to go by any nicknames.

It’s very doable.

1 Like