Isabella but Masculine?

Hey all!

I came across this name: Iserald

I really love it and was curious if anyone knows anything about it? Casual googling did not reveal much. I’d also love thoughts/opinions! :slight_smile: I’m falling hard and fast over here so SOS to tell me it means “demonic ritual” or something before I add it to my list!

Thanks!

2 Likes

I would guess it means [name_u]Ice[/name_u] ruler/ power :blush: [name_u]Super[/name_u] cool!

1 Like

How gorgeous! I love Is- names, especially on boys. I might have to add Iserald to my list too.

I couldn’t find any entries on baby name sites, but I found a few Iseralds on Ancestry and in marriage/birth certificates or military records, most of which are dated to 1850-1930. I imagine it’s a legit name and has just died out over time.

3 Likes

I adore this name! I may use it for Elias’ little brother. But as a middle over a first because I came across the name Erel and I sort of want to give his brother Erel as a name.

1 Like

It’s possible that it comes from Iseriel, which is (reportedly) the ancient Greek form of Jesharelah. Iseriel (reportedly) first appears written as such in the Septuagint, which is basically the first/earliest known Hebrew-to-Greek translation of the Old Testament. Jesharelah, which appears to be the original Hebrew, is said to mean “doubtful, upright towards God”. (source, source)

It also could be some kind of variant of [name_u]Israel[/name], too. No big explanation for that, it’s just that [name_m]Iser[/name] (the prefix-thing) always seems to come back around to root name [name_u]Israel[/name].
(Fun fact! [name_m]Iser[/name] can also mean “iron” or “ironworker”, thanks to its roots in German (spelling variation or nickname of occupational surname Eiser.) (source))

At the very least, I can say from the 30+ minutes I spent falling down a Google rabbit hole, it does not mean anything like “demonic ritual”, so I believe you are safe! :sparkles:

1 Like

I believe the closest you can get to [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] in a male name is [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]. I know the name [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] because I had a great uncle (1925-2002) with that name. However, he thought for most of his life that his name was [name_m]Irving[/name_m]. [name_m]Irving[/name_m] is also fairly close to [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], but not as close as [name_m]Isidore[/name_m].

The etymology of [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is that it is a form of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Basically it went [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] > [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] > [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] > [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] > [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. So meaning wise it is the same as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] meaning “God is an oath” as in Hebrew el means [name_m]God[/name_m], and sheva means oath.

it likely means israel, or relates to israel!

Ibbeson is derived from [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. [name_m]Son[/name_m] of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].