Isla & Fiona?

Still working on that sister name for [name]Isla[/name]. DH and I can’t agree on anything and any name we do like only lasts a few hours then we think of some reason to stop liking it.
He has vetoed [name]Fiona[/name] several times but I’m really kind of liking it and think its one of the better, solid names we have talked about. He thinks it sounds like Shrek.
WDYT of [name]Fiona[/name] with [name]Isla[/name]?
Can you come up with some good arguments to give dh about why [name]Fiona[/name] is not just a big green ogre princess name?
And while you are at it, what’s a good mn for [name]Fiona[/name]? We thought of using another virtue name but [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Faith[/name] doesn’t work, dh doesn’t like [name]Grace[/name]. . .wdyt?

thanks a lot!

I just saw your response to my [name]Fiona[/name] questions - how funny! I do think [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] go well. The only potential problem is that they share the -a ending but that may not bother you and it helps that they aren’t the same number of syllables.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] (means happy, even though I guess that’s not exactly a virtue!)
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]True[/name] (a little too literal?)
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (too long I think)
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Honor[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Peace[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Belle[/name]

isla and fiona are both on our long list of girl names. DH keeps refusing to put fiona on our short list because of shrek. but i think shrek’s fiona should be a reason TO use it, not to stay away from it! what a great thing to teach our girls, that it should be their inner beauty they allow to shine through, and not be so concerned with their outer appearances (even if they are a green ogre!). but my argument isn’t working on DH =(

either way, we had fiona belle on our list. so pretty. especially with a sister named isla!

oh, i also used the fiona apple argument since DH is a big fan of hers and still nothing…

It’s a very nice name.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Constance[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Honor[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Verity[/name]

[name]Love[/name], love [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] - its a perfect sib-set.

[name]Just[/name] ask your husband what he would think of the name without knowing about Shrek - get him to separate the two. But, I don’t understand why Shrek is a bad thing? Its a great movie with a great message!

I like the suggestion of [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Honor[/name] for a virtue middle name.

Or, you could choose a name with a meaningful meaning to you.

Aside from virtues and meanings, I like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Neve[/name].

To me, [name]Fiona[/name] is like a little delicate princess, little and shy, yet daring and bright at the same time. I personally see [name]Fiona[/name] with straight, dark brunette hair and sparkling green or blue eyes. (On the contrary, I see [name]Isla[/name] with either red hair - a la [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name] - or medium brown hair. What does Miss [name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name] look like?) I certainly don’t think or see “SHREK! OGRE!” when I think of [name]Fiona[/name], and I think it is a fun, playful, yet charmingly feminine name for a little girl. Also, it goes with the Scottish feel of [name]Isla[/name], which is a plus!

I personally think [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Skye[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Greer[/name] are really pretty, but if you want another virtue name, I loved the suggestion of [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]!

I really like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Skye[/name], that’s very pretty!

I thinnk [name]Fiona[/name] is a gorgeous name, and I love it with [name]Isla[/name]! (Subliminal message to your husband: You [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]…[name]LOVE[/name] it…It’s your new favorite name…)

Sorry for repeats:

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] (oops…That sounds like “own a pearl…”)
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Fiona[/name] is so perfect with [name]Isla[/name]! I love the name [name]Fiona[/name]; it’s one of my favorites. I don’t think of the ogre at all. In fact, the movie I associate with the name is the Irish movie [name]Secret[/name] of [name]Roan[/name] Inish. Here are some one-syllable middles-- I can’t think of any other virtue names.

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Niamh[/name]

Oh my God, [name]Isla[/name] is darling! And I love love love [name]Fiona[/name] with [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]Fiona[/name] is also the name of the hot and sassy female spy character in the U.S. TV show [name]Burn[/name] Notice. She goes by Fi sometimes. I would say she is a nicer character association with the name than Shrek.
Have your hubbie watch the show and he’ll be all for [name]Fiona[/name]!

Oh, goodness, [name]Isla[/name] is adorable! And, yes, I can certainly see her sister as [name]Fiona[/name], especially with those looks! [name]How[/name] is it going with your husband?

And, I’m glad you like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Skye[/name]. Not a virtue name, but still fun and fresh and cute…

Although [name]Fiona[/name] is a beautiful name, I’m with your husband on this one- I ALWAYS think Shrek.

[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] are lovely as a sibset!

One word : perfect!!! [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]!!
[name]Fiona[/name] faith is deffnatly a no no though. [name]How[/name] about [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Joy[/name]? As for dh I’ve known a girl named [name]Fiona[/name] for a long time and I’ve never even compared the names! So I doubt other pe

Sorry i didn’t finish my last post. I doubt that shrek is the thing people will think of in real life. So I wouldn’t worry about that and if someone does have the nerve to mention it just tell them you liked the name anyways!

Personally I prefer the name [name]Isla[/name], I think it has that girly feel that [name]Fiona[/name] has but it is also a little toned down. Maybe what you and your significant other should do is each write down your own list of names, then sit down and go through them. Vetoing the ones you don’t like, and providing an explanation as to why you don’t like it.

For me when I think of middle names, I think of a way to represent both sides of your family. Which is why I like two middle names. You get one middle name for your side of the family, and your significant other gets one for his/her side of the family. Like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Marie[/name] - or - [name]Isla[/name] [name]Roberta[/name] [name]Angeline[/name] for examples.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what anyone says or thinks. As long as you and your significant other both love the name that is all that matters.