ISO Ways to honour David. Please help!

Hi all,

I’m looking for names that honour [name_m]David[/name_m] in some way, this could be by similar sounding names or through the meaning itself and would be used as a middle name. I’m not keen on super common names and the name [name_m]David[/name_m] itself is definitely too popular for me - I’m in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand if that helps at all.

This is a family name that has already been used for the last three generations on my Husband’s side. [name_m]David[/name_m] is also on my family’s side too as it’s my Dad’s name and my brother’s middle name so I’m looking for something a little more fun, fresh or creative.

I personally quite like [name_u]Davis[/name_u] but I’m yet to convince my Husband so wondered if anyone else had other suggestions I could float by him.

All suggestions are appreciated - even if they’re only vaguely connected.

Davey
[name_m]Davies[/name_m]
Davit (Dato)
[name_u]Dai[/name_u]

1 Like

Davidson ( son of [name_m]David[/name_m])
[name_u]Davis[/name_u]
[name_m]Dave[/name_m]
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_m]Davie[/name_m]
[name_u]Denver[/name_u]
[name_u]Devon[/name_u]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u]
[name_u]Dale[/name_u]

All I got.

1 Like

Thank you! I like [name_m]Davie[/name_m], [name_m]Davies[/name_m] and [name_u]Devon[/name_u].

I didn’t mention it in my initial post but, my husband doesn’t mind [name_u]Darrell[/name_u] which has the same meaning as [name_m]David[/name_m]

My favorite options for honoring a [name_m]David[/name_m], besides [name_u]Davis[/name_u], are for girls. [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Amabel[/name_f], and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] all share the sweet “beloved” meaning, and they seem fresh in 2020.

Jebediah and [name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m] are other “beloved” options for boys, but they’re not exactly modern. [name_m]Jed[/name_m] is kind of cowboy-cool, though.

1 Like

Jeb - ‘beloved friend’
[name_m]Amatus[/name_m] - ‘beloved’
[name_m]Amias[/name_m] - ‘loved’
[name_m]Dilan[/name_m] - ‘love’
[name_u]Lemmitty[/name_u] - ‘beloved’
[name_m]Leobin[/name_m] - ‘beloved’
Daviel
[name_u]Daven[/name_u]
Davyn
[name_m]Davies[/name_m]

1 Like

If you have a girl, you could name her [name_f]Davida[/name_f] (dah-vee-dah). A girl at my high school had this name and I thought it was interesting and nice :blush:

And I prefer the spelling [name_u]Daryl[/name_u] over [name_u]Darrell[/name_u], if you two go in that direction!

1 Like

Davian is the new [name_m]David[/name_m]!

1 Like

I personally love the name [name_u]Day[/name_u].

Other ideas:

Amadeus (similar meaning, and has that ‘[name_u]Day[/name_u]’ sound as well)
Dalin/Daylin
[name_u]Davi[/name_u]/Devi
[name_u]Raven[/name_u]/Draven
[name_m]Davion[/name_m]/Davian

More of a stretch:

Deacon
[name_u]Darren[/name_u]
Dragan

1 Like

Davin could be one! Or [name_u]Dallas[/name_u].

You could also do [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] because of the “vid” sound at the end.

1 Like

I don’t think [name_m]Dawson[/name_m], [name_m]Dawsey[/name_m] or [name_m]Tavish[/name_m] have been mentioned yet? They all derive from [name_m]David[/name_m] and I really like all of them, especially [name_m]Tavish[/name_m].

1 Like

I thought [name_m]Tavish[/name_m] came from [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]? I really like [name_m]Tavish[/name_m] and I’d be happy to learn the etymology is from [name_m]David[/name_m] rather than [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] as “beloved” is much nicer than “twin.”

1 Like

So [name_m]David[/name_m] means “beloved” so I looked for names with a similar meaning.

Caradoc- “amiable, beloved”
[name_m]Dewey[/name_m]/Dewi- “beloved”
[name_m]Erasmus[/name_m]- “beloved, desired”
[name_m]Jedediah[/name_m]- “beloved of the lord”
[name_m]Leobin[/name_m]- “beloved”
[name_m]Rasmus[/name_m]- “beloved, desired”
[name_m]Philbert[/name_m]- “dear, beloved”
[name_m]Davies[/name_m]- “son of [name_m]David[/name_m]”
[name_u]Dai[/name_u]- “great” (sounds similar)

1 Like

Right you are! :flushed: Oops, sorry.

Well, in that case I suggest [name_m]Tavish[/name_m] because it kind of sounds like [name_m]David[/name_m] :wink:

1 Like

Dashiell
[name_u]Devin[/name_u]
[name_m]Damien[/name_m]

1 Like

Perhaps [name_u]Davin[/name_u]/Daven???

1 Like

I like [name_u]Davis[/name_u] or [name_m]Davies[/name_m].
I have a friend named Davidae (DAH-vih-day)

1 Like

Thank you so much for all these suggestions, as I was seriously struggling with alternatives I liked. [name_m]David[/name_m] is my Husband’s first middle name and he has been set on using this since before I met him but I’ve never really been that keen given how common it is. We also have several close friends who all have it as their middle name too which has certainly contributed to my thoughts surrounding its popularity.

I’ll be definitely adding a number of these name suggestions to my [name_m]David[/name_m] alternatives. Thank you all for your ideas!

Oh I like the suggestion of [name_m]Dawson[/name_m]!

A little more unusual are two cool Finnish names, [name_m]Taavi[/name_m] (variant of [name_m]David[/name_m]) and Armas (“beloved”).

I was also thinking of the association with the original [name_m]David[/name_m] - whether Bible or Torah - and I think that [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] would be a wonderful, whimsical namesake. :sheep:

You could even go with [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] - referencing [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]. :wink:

1 Like

When I read the title, I immediately thought [name_u]Vida[/name_u] (ETA) based off the name Davida.

Then I clicked on the thread and saw it was for Boy [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names. With that in mind, how about [name_m]Vito[/name_m] or [name_m]Vidal[/name_m]?

2 Likes