It ends here: Thalia vs Talia

See the results of this poll: Thalia vs Talia

Respondents: 89 (This poll is closed)

• Thalia : 54 (61%)
  • Talia: 35 (39%)

I voted Thalia. I just vastly prefer Thalia or Talya to Talia. It’s absolutely ridiculous but when I look at Talia I see genetalia, even though they aren’t pronounced the same at all - sorry if that’s off putting or annoying to hear. I do think Thalia is so pretty and people will likely pronounce them the same.

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]. It looks more like a complete independent name, whereas [name_f]Talia[/name_f] seems short for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]. I would pronounce both the same way, with a hard T.

Actually, this is wrong. It’s the [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] movies, not the books, that insist her name is pronounced like [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. [name_m]Rick[/name_m] [name_m]Riordan[/name_m] tweeted years ago that it’s pronounced Thah-lee-uh which I’d say is actually correct if you wanting the Greek version. The Greek pronunciation of the name is Thah-lee-uh. [Fun Fact: [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] was named for the [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] in Greek mythology]

The Spanish pronunciation is like [name_f]Talia[/name_f], so the [name_f]Talia[/name_f] pronunciation is still correct, though. That said, with the pronunciation [name_f]Talia[/name_f] I’d go with [name_f]Talia[/name_f], but that’s my biased opinion because I vastly prefer Thah-lee-uh for [name_f]Thalia[/name_f].
Source: https://twitter.com/camphalfblood/status/354723657681092608?lang=en
I’m sorry if I sounded like a jerk or anything. [name_m]Just[/name_m] giving clarification

I far prefer [name_f]Talia[/name_f].

I’m not normally a fan of extraneous letters, but I think [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] looks better. I would say them both the same (with a T sound). I can see why [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] might encounter some pronunciation issues, but I’ve never actually heard of anyone who pronounces it with a ‘th’ sound— at least not in the US.

I say [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] as [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-lee-uh (I’m thinking of spelling Thaylia, which I don’t like as much, but is much clearer pronunciation wise for what I want than [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]) and [name_f]Talia[/name_f] as [name_m]Tah[/name_m]-lee-uh, so I would stick with [name_f]Talia[/name_f].

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f] is a family name so my extended family contains quite a few, but we all pronounce it [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-lee-uh. So I would spell it [name_f]Talia[/name_f] if you want it pronounced Tall-lee-uh.

I vastly prefer [name_f]Talia[/name_f].

I like the spelling [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] but I’ve always pronounced it “tal-yuh” like short for [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] (nuh-tal-yuh). T If you want TALL-ee-uh though, I’d probably choose [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. Best of luck!

If you’re pronouncing Ta-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-a then use [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. If you’re pronouncing Tar-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-a then use [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. Since it is usually associated with [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], for which it can be a nickname, I presume that [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] could reflect [name_f]Nathalie[/name_f], which is an alternative spelling. Therefore, in this context, [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] would be pronounced the same way. I do think that [name_f]Talia[/name_f], and [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], look more attractive.

Try and respond to some points made here…

@Arsinoe, I don’t have a Twitter so since he didn’t clarify how he said it in the book, I just went by the movies.
@boyandgirl and tamparays8, I’d love to know why you prefer that spelling!
@jennettegraceh, I’m American so I think I understand what you’re saying with pronunciation but to clear things up, I pronounce both [name_f]Talia[/name_f] and [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] with the first syllable sounding like the word “tall”. Tarlia would be different in my accent.
@mysotis, davisellu, and a few others, I’m not really concerned with how most people would say it. I’ve asked my mom and a couple friends, and they all would pronounce [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] TALL-ee-uh, and all thought I was crazy to suggest there was an alternate pronunciation.

What I’m more concerned about is whether that pronunciation is just blatantly wrong, because that is what I want to avoid. If it’s just incorrect, then I’m not sure what I’d do because I don’t like [name_f]Talia[/name_f] enough to replace [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] on my list. It’s looking like most people in my area would use the pronunciation I like, so I may just keep [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] unless I find out that how I say it is wrong.

Thanks everyone!

Slightly off-topic, but didn’t you say you lived in Kansas? If most people in your area (given I’m not sure what area of the state you’re from) say it like TALL-ee-uh I’m just going to assume that keeping it on my first name list with my preferred pronunciation would be a problem because I currently live in Kansas as well.

I voted [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. My 11 year old niece is [name_f]Tahlia[/name_f] as another option

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f] ALL the way.

@Arsinoe, I’m not sure if it would cause a problem. I don’t think of pronunciation issues as being a huge problem, if I’m being honest. I’ve had to correct the spelling of my full name for my whole life because it’s not the original spelling. While it bothers me, I can live with it. My mom did say that she thought it was possible to say it THA-lee-uh, just strange. Like saying the Th in [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. I find the people in my area of Kansas to be very close-minded when it comes to names (we have an abundance of [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]) and most of them are very straight-forward when it comes to pronunciation. Obviously, I only surveyed a small population, but I’d guess that most people near me would treat [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] like [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]. But I couldn’t say for sure. I’m hoping to someday move out of Kansas, and maybe I’ll find that in other places my pronunciation won’t be used. Again, though, potential pronunciation issues don’t bother me much.

[name_f]Thalia[/name_f] is my favorite by far. I didn’t even know it could be pronounced THA-lee-uh (like, it makes sense, but I wouldn’t pronounce it like that unless I knew prior that they pronounced their name like that). My cousin in [name_f]Talia[/name_f], but I really prefer the [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] spelling. I think it’s much prettier and looks more…balanced? I don’t know.

I know a [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] and she pronounces it [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-lee-uh and says it is of Greek origin. The way of spelling ta-lee-uh that I am familiar with is [name_f]Tahlia[/name_f].

I pronounce [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] as either [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-lee-uh (like failure with a “th” sound") or Tar-lee-ah/uh, but I’ve never come across it being pronounced with the same sound as “tall”. [name_f]Talia[/name_f], I’d assume was Tar-lee-uh. Apparently in Greek, the proper pronunciation is Tha-LIE-uh though, so I think you’d just have to assume that no matter what version you go with, you will have to correct people.