Ita, Feige, Pessi, Talia...

I come from a line of strong women. The first woman we know of, [name]Ita[/name] (EE-ta), was a Jewish Hungarian businesswoman in the 1920s. The second, Feige (fay-GUH or fay-[name]GEE[/name]), survived the Holocaust along with her mother, and came to [name]America[/name]. The third woman is Pessi (PESS-ee), my mother. I’m [name]Talia[/name] (tal-YUH), the fourth woman in the line.

It bothers me that my name doesn’t fit into the mold with the other women of the line. [name]Ita[/name], Feige, and Pessi are all Yiddish; [name]Talia[/name] is a modern hippy Israeli-sounding name.

As a Jew, I have two names: an English name that I use in day-to-day life, and a Hebrew name that I use less frequently. My English name is [name]Talia[/name], and my Hebrew name is [name]Avital[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]. I hate, hate, hate the name [name]Avital[/name], and I’m planning on changing it soon. Originally, I planned on just changing it to [name]Talia[/name] and ending it there, but now I’ve realized that I don’t like the name [name]Talia[/name] much either.

MY FINAL QUESTION: Can you think of any decent Yiddish names I could change my name to? All the names I can think of are really awful, or just not me. Normally I’d just go for [name]Ita[/name] or Feige, but I want to name my daughter Feige [name]Ita[/name].

Some options:
[name]Shayna[/name]
Shaindel
[name]Gittel[/name]
Zissel
[name]Reyna[/name]
[name]Bryna[/name]
[name]Bina[/name]
[name]Freydel[/name]
Fruma
Leba
[name]Mindel[/name]
[name]Minna[/name]
[name]Elke[/name]
[name]Golda[/name]

[name]Liba[/name]/Lieba
Mirele
Raisel
[name]Rivke[/name]
Zusa

For what it’s worth, I think that both [name]Talia[/name] and [name]Avital[/name] are beautiful. Your relatives sound like amazing people.

My favorites from your list:
[name]Shayna[/name]: I know a lovely [name]Shaina[/name]…
Shaindel: I think this is very pretty.
[name]Gittel[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Bina[/name]: I think this is sweet, and it reminds me of [name]Sabina[/name] or [name]Sabine[/name], too.
[name]Golda[/name]: This is my favorite from your list. I’m not sure if you live somewhere in which pronunciation may be an issue, but if you do, I think that [name]Golda[/name] is quite easy to pronounce. I think it’s beautiful and strong.

You may also like:

[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Roza[/name]
[name]Raina[/name]
[name]Rifka[/name] or [name]Rivke[/name]
Sorah
[name]Vera[/name]

I didn’t realize that [name]Mira[/name] or [name]Vera[/name] were considered Yiddish, but the site on which I found them seems pretty valid. (Then again, while I’m Jewish, you surely know far more than I do about Yiddish names, so my apologies for inaccuracies) :slight_smile:

Good luck!