It's a girl! Does Michael work?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!
We just found out we are expecting a GIRL! We are so excited.

We are down to two first names, [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_u]June[/name_u].
If we were having a boy, we would have used the name [name_u]Michael[/name_u] after my dad.

I would still love to be able to honor my dad. Is michael too masculine as a middle? [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]?
Our last name is similar to [name_m]Morton[/name_m]. Any other ways to honor michael? We strongly dislike michaela and [name_f]Michelle[/name_f].

Thanks in advance!!!

I love [name_u]June[/name_u]!
I think it’s OK as a middle, though I would not have appreciated it had my parents given me that as a middle.
Somehow I think parents are a lot more into boys names on girls than the kids are. But I get wanting to honor your dad. Does he have a middle name that translates better for a girl?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Micah[/name_u]?

I think that [name_u]Michael[/name_u] can work as a middle for a girl, since the middle name is the more hidden name, but I personally wouldn’t have liked it if I were named [name_m]Robert[/name_m] or [name_m]Nate[/name_m] after my grandfather.

I like the [name_u]Micah[/name_u] suggestion! I wouldn’t have liked my middle name to be so masculine, even if it is just a middle. I prefer [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Simple and understated, yet beautiful

I went to school with a girl who’s first name was [name_u]Michael[/name_u] . She went by her middle name.

I think [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is ok for a middle, but why not just do michaela? So obviously still an honour name for your dad, but way prettier and more feminine

I think you should do it. My middle name is a family surname, and I would have cherished it just as much had it been a grandfather’s first name. I will never be able to support “gender-bending”, but for me, the middle spot is a completely different domain to the first, and it is important that you should put that sentiment into your daughter’s name. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] make lovely combos.

If you really aren’t happy with it, why not consider a female name that looks / sounds like a little like [name_u]Michael[/name_u], such as [name_u]Michal[/name_u] or Maiken?

I think it works well. I prefer [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Michael[/name_u].

[name_u]June[/name_u] [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] :slight_smile:

What about [name_u]Michal[/name_u]? mick-ALL
Masculine middle works though if you just keep [name_u]Michael[/name_u].

[name_m]Micheal[/name_m] Learned is a woman named [name_m]Micheal[/name_m]! I think it could work.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is so sweet!
I think in the middle as an honor name it totally works!
You could use any m name, but I think it’s lovely to use [name_u]Michael[/name_u] to honor your dad.

Yes I think it works! I love it! I also love the suggestion of using [name_u]Micah[/name_u] is lovely too! Congrats!

I say go for it! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] sounds pretty.

Awh, it sucks that you both hate [name_f]Makayla[/name_f] and [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], they’re so pretty. I would also not appreciate it if my mom had given me a masculine middle.

I don’t know how many kids you already have, but is it possible to just wait for a boy?

I say no. Keep hunting. Im sure you can find another name to use to honor him

I wouldn’t use [name_u]Michael[/name_u] on a girl, even for a middle name. It’s just way too common for boys.

Another suggestion would be to pronounce [name_u]Michael[/name_u] as Mee-kel … I’m not sure exactly how to spell it… but if using a known “boys name” on a girl bothers you, it could be an option. However, I love [name_u]Michael[/name_u] as a girl’s middle name. It wouldn’t bother me a bit if I had a more masculine midddle or first name that honored such an important person. Go for it! :slight_smile:

As a middle, I think [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is totally great! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is so sweet and sophisticated.

The fact that you’re honoring your dad makes all the difference. I’m a woman, and I would love to share a name with my grandfather. I personally feel like [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] and [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] are separate names from [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and wouldn’t really have the same effect.

I love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Michael[/name_u], and [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is pretty as well!

What about Mikenna?
I know it’s usually spelled [name_f]McKenna[/name_f], but family and friends will know your baby is being named for her grandpa and will get it…
For what it’s worth, my niece is in 10th grade and has a traditional boy’s name for her first name. While the unisex thing seemed just fine when she was born, she now shares a class with two boys who have her name! She confided in me this summer that she was kind of bummed about it. Obviously, it would be different if it was her middle name - not the first name, but I thought I’d mention it…

[name_u]Michael[/name_u] can be a girl’s name as well. She won’t get teased, nobody will know her middle name (except the ones that know her personally)
Kind of a different name… theres [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] or [name_u]Mischa[/name_u] (which I found more feminine then [name_u]Micah[/name_u])