It's go time getting cold feet about chosen name

My due date has come and gone so now we’re just waiting. We have settled on [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] as a first name. I am having last minute jitters though. Is the name too out there or going to be a spelling or nickname nightmare? Or did we go with the name because it feels right, goes well with other family names, and we finally came to an agreement after months of painstaking conversations?

Not sure if I need someone to convince my cold feet to walk down the aisle and use [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] or I should listen to these concerns of mine. I asked my husband about [name_m]Asher[/name_m] the other day as it has a similar feel without the perceived issues of the other name but he wasn’t a fan. Help!

I say stick with [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]. Naming a person is a big deal, and it sounds like you’re just having the normal last minute doubts. You’ve made a great choice.

I would go with [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. I don’t know how to pronounce [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m].

If you and your husband feel [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is The One, stick with it. If not, you might want to re-think.

We had two choices we loved, we thought we decided but switched last minute. There is nothing wrong with the other name but we are glad we switched, his name fits him better than the other.

Your jitters could also be more about bringing a little one into the world and the delivery/c-section, instead of the name.

I like the name. However, to be honest, I am not 100% sure how to pronounce it, and would likely just say it like Alastor, as in Alastor [name_m]Moody[/name_m] from the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books. I actually quite like Alastor, and if [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is pronounced similarly I am all on board. However, if I am correct and the pronunciations are similar, I would consider the [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] or Alasdor spellings. I think you would have less issues with those.

I got cold feet and slight name regret after each of my kids, so to me this seems normal. I think the name u picked is really great!

I like it. Makes me think of [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] Hennessey from The Life Aquatic with [name_m]Steve[/name_m] Zissou.
I don’t think it makes a huge difference whether you spell it with a T or a D.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have nickname ideas? People might start to call him [name_u]Ali[/name_u] but I don’t mind that actually.

[name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] in a great, handsome, solid name - much more timeless and strong than [name_m]Asher[/name_m] [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. To me, as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u], it’s not out there at all. I know several Alistairs and Alasdairs (the latter is my preferred spelling) of various ages and they all wear it well. It’s underused but not weird and a lovely alternative to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. Please use it!

Thanks for the affirmation. Since you live in [name_m]Britain[/name_m], can you tell me how you would pronounce it? Are there acceptable alternative pronunciations?

Ok, thanks for sharing. I had mild name regret after my first born but I think it was just baby blues cause once those lifted I was 100% happy with my name choice again.

Another name we had considered earlier was [name_m]Jett[/name_m]. It came up on the leap year baby blog post and now I’m thinking about it again. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you think it sounds with our surname F.0.x? My husband says he would consider Jethro as a long form with Jett potentially as a nickname.

Growing up my friend had a brother [name_m]Alister[/name_m] and he was always called [name_u]Ali[/name_u]. I think a lot of “older” namers are back in vogue, [name_m]Alister[/name_m]/alisdair being one of them.

It’s definitely not too out there. I love it! It’s very handsome.

[name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] sounds better than [name_m]Jett[/name_m] or [name_m]Asher[/name_m] with last name F.0.x.

I live in the US and just met an [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] for the first time. After telling people how to pronounce his name, no one seemed to have much a problem with it. I think it’s an awesome name to give a baby- one he won’t share with lots of other kids his age, but is very classy and handsome! It doesn’t hurt to have several names picked out to take to the hospital, though! When you meet your sweet boy, he might be an [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m], or he might be a [name_m]Jethro[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Jett[/name_m])! Which by the way I also love! Or he might be something else. I’d say don’t throw [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] out the door just yet, but don’t be afraid to keep your options open :slight_smile: good luck!

Thank you! [name_m]How[/name_m] did the [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] you meet pronounce his name?

Its a nice name. If I didn’t have a horrible personal association with it I would have considered it.

It might be a spelling disaster if you’re in the U.S.
I think [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] is the more common spelling. But it’s not a common enough name that most people would know that.
& [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is completely legitimate not Kree-ay-Tivv

I wouldn’t sweat nicknames. You’ll come up with something. My son is [name_u]Bradley[/name_u] & we call him B (like bee), [name_f]Busy[/name_f] (because he is), or Breeds (I don’t know why) half the time. We didn’t anticipate that!

& if when you look at him he looks more like an [name_m]Asher[/name_m] or a [name_m]Donald[/name_m] or a [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] then your gut will know what to do.

I think you’re just projecting your natural nervousness on the name. Relax, good luck & enjoy.

I prefer [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] or [name_m]Alister[/name_m]

I think you should stick with it. It’s a really handsome name. I would just use the most common spelling to make that issue a bit mitigated. I think that’s probably [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]? Not even sure on that I only know one.

[name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is a wonderful name! [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] is definitely on my list. The original Scottish version is extremely attractive. I don’t think it’s going to be too hard for people to spell, though you will probably always be saying “with a d” but that’s no big deal, right?

I love [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]! That particular spelling was in my top three (often at the very top) before my husband narrowed down my list. Too bad, actually, because my husband is an [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and I like the idea of their names being connected without my son becoming a junior. I pronounce all variations of [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] ([name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_m]Alastair[/name_m], [name_m]Alister[/name_m], etc) the same, [name_m]AL[/name_m]-iss-ter.