Jane or Anne

See the results of this poll: Jane or Anne

Respondents: 21 (This poll is closed)

• Anne: 5 (24%)
  • Jane: 16 (76%)

I voted for [name]Jane[/name]. It’s my middle name and I love it :slight_smile:

Classic, elegant, simple and way too underused. It definitely deserves some use as a first name, and I just adore the nn [name]Janey[/name] if you’re into nick names at all?

I do like [name]Anne[/name] but it still sounds like a middle aged woman to me, whereas [name]Jane[/name] sounds fresh, young and spunky.

Having said all that, if it’d been a choice between [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Anna[/name] I very well may have gone for [name]Anna[/name]! It just has that little something extra to me than [name]Anne[/name]. More melodic and prettier sounding and definitely younger and fresher, and [name]Annie[/name] is an adorable nn!

Another name in those styles you may like is [name]Rose[/name] :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Anna[/name] [name]Jane[/name].

Thanks… we do like nicknames, which was one of the reasons I was having trouble deciding on one of the lovely, more ‘elaborate’ vintage choices we’ve pondered… none of them had the short spunky nn that we thought matched our other daughter’s name in terms of how much we liked it. We really do like the nn’s [name]Janie[/name] or [name]Annie[/name]…
I like [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] too, but I like the elegance of [name]Anne[/name]–and the fact that you don’t hear it as much right now.

I love [name]Rose[/name]! But it’s my daughter’s middle name after a family member.

We were considering [name]Eve[/name] (along the same Vein) awhile back, but so much long E with [name]Bea[/name]…

Thanks… we do like nicknames, which was one of the reasons I was having trouble deciding on one of the lovely, more ‘elaborate’ vintage choices we’ve pondered… none of them had the short spunky nn that we thought matched our other daughter’s name in terms of how much we liked it. We really do like the nn’s [name]Janie[/name] or [name]Annie[/name]…
I like [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] too, but I like the elegance of [name]Anne[/name]–and the fact that you don’t hear it as much right now.

I love [name]Rose[/name]! But it’s my daughter’s middle name after a family member.

We were considering [name]Eve[/name] (along the same Vein) awhile back, but so much long E with [name]Bea[/name]…[/quote]

Aww that’s such a shame that [name]Rose[/name] is used up, but [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is a beautiful combo :slight_smile:

I like [name]Eve[/name] but I don’t love it, and I think it’s ruined a little by all the [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name]'s around :frowning: I do think it goes well with [name]Beatrice[/name] though and I don’t think the “ee” sounds are a problem. I still prefer [name]Jane[/name] though.

I see what you mean about [name]Anne[/name] vs [name]Anna[/name], I guess [name]Anna[/name] is a more overused these days. I’m in the UK where both [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Anna[/name] are top 100 names so I forget that [name]Eve[/name] is still pretty unusual in [name]America[/name]. That does make me like it a little more :slight_smile:

Another short simple classic name that I don’t think gets used nearly enough as a first name is [name]May[/name] :slight_smile: It’s not even top 1000 in the US which I can’t believe! To me it’s really sweet and pretty and feminine like [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Anna[/name], but without the popularity.

Others I like, if you’re taking more suggestions?

[name]June[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Clare[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] (or [name]Tessa[/name])
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
And it may not be as short, but I think [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] would be a gorgeous gorgeous combo :slight_smile:

We were considering [name]Eve[/name] (along the same Vein) awhile back, but so much long E with [name]Bea[/name]…[/quote]

Aww that’s such a shame that [name]Rose[/name] is used up, but [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is a beautiful combo :slight_smile:

I like [name]Eve[/name] but I don’t love it, and I think it’s ruined a little by all the [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name]'s around :frowning: I do think it goes well with [name]Beatrice[/name] though and I don’t think the “ee” sounds are a problem. I still prefer [name]Jane[/name] though.

I see what you mean about [name]Anne[/name] vs [name]Anna[/name], I guess [name]Anna[/name] is a more overused these days. I’m in the UK where both [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Anna[/name] are top 100 names so I forget that [name]Eve[/name] is still pretty unusual in [name]America[/name]. That does make me like it a little more :slight_smile:

Another short simple classic name that I don’t think gets used nearly enough as a first name is [name]May[/name] :slight_smile: It’s not even top 1000 in the US which I can’t believe! To me it’s really sweet and pretty and feminine like [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Anna[/name], but without the popularity.

Others I like, if you’re taking more suggestions?

[name]June[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Clare[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] (or [name]Tessa[/name])
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
And it may not be as short, but I think [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] would be a gorgeous gorgeous combo :)[/quote]

Thanks, yes, I am always happy to get more suggestions. I really like [name]May[/name] or [name]Mae[/name], but someone pointed out that it is odd with my last name, makes a sort of odd ‘sentence’, along the lines of ‘[name]May[/name] I’. And funny you should mention [name]Louisa[/name]—there is an earlier thread by me where we virtually decided on [name]Louisa[/name] (stylistically it’s great with [name]Beatrice[/name] and it’s also got a very cute nn), but unfortunately, it sounds ridiculous with my last name (it shares too many similar sounds and makes a tongue twister). I seem to have a very problematic last name! We’ve gone through considering lots of other names with [name]Beatrice[/name]–[name]Penelope[/name], [name]Greta[/name], etc, etc, but at this point, we’ve kind of given up on the longer vintage selections since we feel like every choice we consider is just ‘trying too hard’ to find a good ‘match’, instead of choosing a name that’s striking and that we really love. What I like about [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] (or similar) is that they have a different strength than [name]Beatrice[/name]–so it’s not like the names are trying to compete with each other, if that makes sense… they’d both get to be their own thing.

I do know what you mean about the [name]Eve[/name] variants getting a bit overexposed. Unfortunately [name]Anna[/name] is top 30 in the US. [name]Ana[/name] not far behind it, so there are a lot of them at the moment.

I do like [name]Beth[/name], but [name]Beth[/name] and [name]Bea[/name] a little too much B action…also seems like it should really be part of [name]Elizabeth[/name] (can’t use in my family).

Thanks again-

Hmm, [name]Jane[/name] vs. [name]Anne[/name]- that’s a hard one! Pros and Cons of [name]Both[/name]:

[name]Jane[/name]: Simple, sweet and timeless. Not too common (386) but slowly rising up the charts. The only negative association with the name is the “plain [name]Jane[/name]” image.

[name]Anne[/name]: A true classic that will never go out of style. Less popular than [name]Jane[/name] (544) but an [name]Annie[/name] would be likely to run into girls her age with the nn due to the large number of Annas, Annabelles/Annabellas, Annalies, Annalieses, etc. No negative associations that I can think of.

So because of the influx of “[name]Anne[/name]” names out there- in the current top 1000 there are 9 names starting with “[name]Ann[/name]” (one of which, the third most popular, happens to be [name]Annie[/name]), I would go with [name]Jane[/name]. It’s a bit more unusual and I do think it pairs very nicely with [name]Beatrice[/name]. [name]Janie[/name] and [name]Bea[/name] are very sweet together. I totally know what you mean, about [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] having a different “strength” than [name]Beatrice[/name], even though they are short and simple. There’s something serious but feminine about them. Some other names that have a similar flavor, if you’re interested:

[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I do definitely get what you mean about [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] not “competing” with [name]Beatrice[/name]. I do think either would be a fantastic match (obviously you know my vote is with [name]Jane[/name]!) and both are beautiful names with adorable nn’s.

I like the direction you and your husband have chosen to go. I agree that it can all get a bit too “try hard” finding undiscovered charming vintage names that “match”. [name]Jane[/name] always makes me think of [name]Jane[/name] Eyre and that era which I think is a fantastic association but it’s such a simple name that it could never be accused of trying too hard.

I think it’s really stylish and lovely.

[name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Jane[/name], [name]Bea[/name] and [name]Janie[/name] - adorable :slight_smile:

Other’s that would sound nice, [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Cate[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Meg[/name]/[name]Megan[/name], [name]Maeve[/name] (does this work any better with your last name??), [name]Belle[/name] (probably not with [name]Bea[/name]!), and just because I’ve loved having my own name all my life (in a completely non self-obsessive way hehe) I’ll suggest [name]Laura[/name] lol, seems the same classic, simple style as [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] to me, with a long history too.

I hope you settle on one you love soon!

I really like [name]Beatrice[/name] and both [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Jane[/name]. I voted for [name]Anne[/name] because it somehow feels more fresh than [name]Jane[/name], and I feel like it has more personality. [name]Jane[/name] also doesn’t have any good nicknames (not that it really needs one) while [name]Anne[/name] has [name]Annie[/name], and [name]Bea[/name] and [name]Annie[/name] would be absolutely adorable! You really can’t go wrong, though.

Thanks for these additional ideas–some of these I like very much–[name]Gwen[/name], [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Helen[/name] are very nice and the sort of classics I’m looking for (I think [name]Gwen[/name] counts as a classic). [name]Mary[/name] I strongly considered actually–I might still opt for it if she’s born looking very much like a ‘[name]Mary[/name]’, but for now I guess I figured [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] sounded a bit ‘stronger’, whereas [name]Mary[/name] feels a bit more gentle to my ears. Maybe it will depend on the vibe I get from her when I see her:) Though I would at least like to have this tied up a bit more when I head off to the hospital (in only 2 months now!)

[name]Laura[/name] is lovely—very literary and definitely a classic like I’m looking for. I know several adult Lauras though … as does my husband, so we would prefer a name we have no prior associations with (even if positive!). Neither of us knows a [name]Jane[/name] or an [name]Anne[/name].

[name]Maeve[/name] isn’t quite my style… and [name]Belle[/name] is cute but my son is [name]Edward[/name] so can’t go there…

[name]Laura[/name] is lovely—very literary and definitely a classic like I’m looking for. I know several adult Lauras though … as does my husband, so we would prefer a name we have no prior associations with (even if positive!). Neither of us knows a [name]Jane[/name] or an [name]Anne[/name].

[name]Maeve[/name] isn’t quite my style… and [name]Belle[/name] is cute but my son is [name]Edward[/name] so can’t go there…[/quote]

Oh I see, definitely no [name]Belle[/name] then!!

I saw from your previous post that you like [name]Gwen[/name] though so I made one good suggestion :slight_smile: hehe.

I think you have a good little list there to take to the hospital. Maybe [name]Jane[/name], [name]Anne[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Gwen[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]? Those seem to be your favourites, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I was actually going to suggest [name]Mary[/name] because I [name]ADORE[/name] it and it can give you the nn [name]May[/name], but I didn’t think it’d be your style. I’m very glad you like it though! One of the things that makes me love it most is that it’s the name of the baby girl and 3 Men and a [name]Baby[/name]. If it wasn’t for those films I don’t think I could imagine it on a child but it was so sweet in the film :slight_smile:

It is a little softer though, so I guess it depends what kind of little lady you get!

[name]Do[/name] you have a middle name picked out?

Maybe you should play around with some middle names with your favourite few choices and then hopefully over the next two months, one of the names will start standing out to you above the others? Wouldn’t it be nice if it was that easy! Hehe, but hey you never know. If not, take a few to the hospital and decide when you meet her :slight_smile:

You have such classic and great naming taste that I really don’t think you can go wrong!

I adore [name]Jane[/name]!

I picked [name]Jane[/name]! Also, how about [name]Clara[/name] or [name]Helena[/name]?
I could see [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] or [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]!

I voted for [name]Jane[/name]. Its really pretty, my sister was about to be named that.

I’m glad to hear from an [name]Anne[/name] supporter. This is the one that I think has the most significance for my husband and I…

[name]Maeve[/name] isn’t quite my style… and [name]Belle[/name] is cute but my son is [name]Edward[/name] so can’t go there…[/quote]

Oh I see, definitely no [name]Belle[/name] then!!

I saw from your previous post that you like [name]Gwen[/name] though so I made one good suggestion :slight_smile: hehe.

I think you have a good little list there to take to the hospital. Maybe [name]Jane[/name], [name]Anne[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Gwen[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]? Those seem to be your favourites, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I was actually going to suggest [name]Mary[/name] because I [name]ADORE[/name] it and it can give you the nn [name]May[/name], but I didn’t think it’d be your style. I’m very glad you like it though! One of the things that makes me love it most is that it’s the name of the baby girl and 3 Men and a [name]Baby[/name]. If it wasn’t for those films I don’t think I could imagine it on a child but it was so sweet in the film :slight_smile:

It is a little softer though, so I guess it depends what kind of little lady you get!

[name]Do[/name] you have a middle name picked out?

Maybe you should play around with some middle names with your favourite few choices and then hopefully over the next two months, one of the names will start standing out to you above the others? Wouldn’t it be nice if it was that easy! Hehe, but hey you never know. If not, take a few to the hospital and decide when you meet her :slight_smile:

You have such classic and great naming taste that I really don’t think you can go wrong![/quote]

Thanks, I do think that’s a pretty good list… I suppose we may just have to see how she seems. I do think [name]Mary[/name] is very sweet.