Jane or Jayne?

Jane. Absolutely - for all of the reasons already mentioned above.

Both spelling variations are spectacular imo. I love both ā€“ with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] each having their own merits. While [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is beautiful in its simplicity, I also love the multiple meanings [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] holds.

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
(English, Hebrew) God is gracious

[name_f]Jayne[/name_f]
(English, Hebrew) God is gracious; variation of [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
(Hindi) victorious

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f], as [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] is just unnecessary hassle with the spelling.

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] over [name_f]Jayne[/name_f]. I like the name but probably wouldnā€™t use it.

1 Like

Jane. I think ā€œyā€ is unnecessary.

Jayne/Jane has been a lifelong love of mine. For [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] from [name_m]Tarzan[/name_m], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Foster[/name_m]. For its long history and simple beauty. For its sweet meaning and classiness. Its [name_u]Anne[/name_u] but more feminine; [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] but simpler; [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and [name_u]Joan[/name_u] but more modern.

Jayne is also just as classic and beautiful, but edgier and cooler than [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

1 Like

I LOVE [name_f]Jane[/name_f]/Jayne, itā€™s so sweet! I almost prefer [name_f]Jayne[/name_f], as itā€™s my beloved oldest cousinā€™s middle name, and weā€™re quite close - I always thought [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] looked so glamourous.

1 Like

I much prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. It looks so much tidier and cleaner

I like both as names but I have a negative association with someone called [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] so I prefer the simpler [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

Jane - sweet, simple, classic. I donā€™t think adding the additional letter improves to it any.

I vastly prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] to [name_f]Jayne[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Jane[/name_f], the y just seems like an unnecessary addition to a very fine name.

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] - the Y version feels more dated and would lead to constant misspellings. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] isnā€™t my favourite, but itā€™s sweet, and definitely could be brought back. Iā€™d love to meet a litte [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (this spelling) and would probably use nn [name_f]Janie[/name_f].

In general, youā€™re probably going to find that most of Nameberry prefers original spellings.

1 Like

Jane.

Classic, stylish, full of role models and pretty, yet strong. Iā€™m from [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] for me instinctively falls into the category of Americans butchering classics.

Jane itā€™s beautiful & simple. Whereas [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] feels unnecessarily complicated for no reason. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a lovely classic choice. I would definitely use it if there wasnā€™t a particularly horrible person in my life called [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. So frustrating when a name is ruined by someone!

Jane. Agree with the argument that the y is unnecessary. Aside from having to correct everyone all the time, I would be afraid people would actually think the name was pronounced [name_f]Janie[/name_f] (break it up into jay-ne ; why else would the y be there?)

Jane. Classic is the way to go. And love the name!

I donā€™t hate [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] but it just seems unnecessary. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is classic and beautiful and I think itā€™s best left as it is.

Jane. Iā€™m always a fan of classic spelling. However, I have a best friend whose middle name is [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] and she loves it.