Jansen? BOY OR GIRL?

We have the name [name]Jansen[/name] on our boy list…combo would be [name]Jansen[/name] “[name]Jay[/name]” [name]Joseph[/name]…and would be a brother to [name]Corinne[/name] “[name]Cori[/name]” [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Weston[/name] “[name]Wes[/name]” [name]David[/name].

My DH also like Jansyn for a girl…and my middle name is [name]Leigh[/name]…do you think Jansyn “[name]Janie[/name]” [name]Leigh[/name] can work for a girl?

When you hear [name]Jansen[/name]/Jansyn do you think boy or girl? Could it work for either?

I think it can work for either - even with the [name]Jansen[/name] spelling. [name]Don[/name]'t mind me but throwing in a gratuitous “y” when an “i” or “e” would work fine is one of my pet peeves.

I think [name]Jansen[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] is a beautiful name for a girl.

The only [name]Jansen[/name] I know is an Australian actor whose a boy.

I see it mainly as a girls name. I think having the ‘[name]Jan[/name]’ in front makes it more feminine.

If you like the ‘[name]Jay[/name]’ name I would choose a different longer name like perhaps…

[name]Jayden[/name] or [name]Jayson[/name]

[name]Jansen[/name] isn’t my style, but if you’re going to use it, I hope you’ll consider using the authentic “[name]Jansen[/name]” spelling, because the “yooneek” Jansyn spelling makes the name feel even trendier, and will give your child a lifetime of having to correct people’s spelling. It’s in line with [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Braylyn[/name], [name]Kaelyn[/name], Jalyln, etc.

To me, the [name]Jan[/name] part makes it more feminine, but if you’ll be calling him [name]Jay[/name], I suppose it won’t matter.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think boy. When I see ‘[name]Jan[/name]’ in this sense, I think of the Dutch man’s name [name]Jan[/name] (pronounced ‘Yah-n’). [name]Jansen[/name] is a Dutch surname, so I’m guessing means ‘[name]Son[/name] of [name]Jan[/name]’ - boyish to me. I like it for a boy.

I agree with PP - Jansyn has that icky made-up feel about it. Sorry! JMO though.

boy.

The Y makes it clearly girly. I don’t know any boy [name]Jans/namens, so I think girl.

A lot of varying opinions here! I know a lot of people feel the y spelling makes a name more feminine, and I suppose it does in the popular mind, but it’s ultimately the same name and I agree with the posters who prefer the more classic spelling [name]Jansen[/name]. I do think this name can work for a girl just as it is.