Japanese-ish Names for Raiden + Renzo's sister

Hey Berries -

Today’s Name Sage post is from a family living in Japan. They’re looking for girl names that work in Japanese and English. They already have two boys, Raiden and Renzo. Suggestions welcome!

Here’s the link to the post.

Best,
Abby, aka The Name Sage

1 Like

I would suggest
Kanna
[name_u]Kyo[/name_u]
[name_u]Noa[/name_u]
[name_f]Reina[/name_f]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_u]Sora[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was [name_f]Amaya[/name_f].

[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_u]Noa[/name_u]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]
[name_f]Aya[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]
[name_u]Senna[/name_u]
[name_u]Coco[/name_u]
[name_u]Risa[/name_u]

I think [name_f]Hana[/name_f] would be a wonderful name for them!

Oooo Kairi and Saya were the first two to come to mind

Akira
Akari
Kaori
Kaede
Michi
Mika
Sakura “Kura” “Suki”
Kuma
Tora
Kura
Suki

[name_f]Mikaela[/name_f] nn [name_u]Mika[/name_u] or just Mika!!

Seconding [name_u]Sora[/name_u] and [name_f]Hana[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Hana[/name_f], [name_f]Sakura[/name_f] and Koemi came to mind

Congratulations on your daughter! I am loving Abby’s suggestions of [name_f]Kairi[/name_f], [name_f]Mari[/name_f] and [name_u]Sora[/name_u] for you. [name_f]Kairi[/name_f] in particular feels like a perfect stylistic fit with your boys’ names.

I don’t know how you feel about matching initials – I generally feel that two is a coincidence, three is a theme – but if you’re OK with it, my first thought was [name_u]Rio[/name_u] (snap @columbiacharm!) It’s a cute and cool cross-cultural name, with clear links to water through its Spanish and Portuguese meaning of “river”, plus it has several possible links to the natural world in Japanese as well.

I would also add [name_f]Emi[/name_f], with that “mi” (sea) component again. It feels light and sweet and spunky and modern and would work seamlessly between the two languages and with your boys’ names.

1 Like

When I saw Nami and Noa on the list, I instantly thought of Namie. There are lots of different kanji readings for it, and a lot of them have to do with water. Another that may fit is Mizuki, which can come with nicknames like Kiki that could be a little easier for an English speaker to pronounce. The name sage also highlighted Mari which I think could work really well! Or Marika or Maria if you prefer something a little longer.

Oh, I do love [name_f]Hana[/name_f]!

1 Like

Koemi is lovely!

1 Like

Congratulations on your daughter. Previous suggestions like [name_u]Sora[/name_u], [name_u]Noa[/name_u], [name_u]Marin[/name_u], and [name_f]Kairi[/name_f] are lovely!

Speaking about ocean-related names, the first one that comes to mind is [name_f]Nagisa[/name_f] (渚), meaning “shore”. It’s one of the top names in my list for my future daughter! I don’t think it will be too hard to pronounce outside of Japan as well.

Some other names that makes me think of the ocean, or water in general, are:

[name_f]Izumi[/name_f]
Reimi
[name_u]Mio[/name_u]
[name_u]Shizuku[/name_u]
Mizuki/Mizuha
Amaya/Amane
[name_f]Nanami[/name_f]
[name_f]Nami[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruri[/name_f] - “lapis lazuli”. Not directly ocean-related, but the color does remind me of the sea, and I think it goes well with [name_u]Raiden[/name_u] and [name_m]Renzo[/name_m]!

Good luck! I hope you’ll find the perfect name for your baby soon.

1 Like

Names I like that work both ways is [name_f]Erika[/name_f] or [name_f]Marina[/name_f] which can have hiragana or kanji spellings while also being easily interchangeable between Japan and America’s.

[name_f]Hina[/name_f] is very on trend. So is [name_f]Mari[/name_f], which is sweet with a classic feel. [name_u]Yuri[/name_u] has a European feel like [name_m]Renzo[/name_m]. [name_f]Kira[/name_f] is also very cute. I also agree with the recommendation of [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] which sounds very international. I also want to add [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Kairi[/name_f], Asuna, [name_u]Akira[/name_u], [name_f]Emi[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_f]Mina[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_u]Kari[/name_u], [name_f]Erina[/name_f], [name_f]Airi[/name_f]. All very usable or easily pronounced, but with pretty [name_m]Kanji[/name_m]

If you want to stick with R names [name_f]Reina[/name_f], [name_u]Rei[/name_u], Reira, [name_u]Rumi[/name_u], [name_f]Rin[/name_f], [name_u]Risa[/name_u], [name_u]Remi[/name_u], [name_f]Rina[/name_f].

Congrats and good luck picking a name.

1 Like

[name_u]Noa[/name_u]!

[name_u]Rio[/name_u] and [name_f]Kairi[/name_f] sound like good names.

Big fan of [name_f]Ayumi[/name_f] (Yumi) and [name_u]Yuki[/name_u] here

1 Like

Oh my goodness - [name_f]Ruri[/name_f] is just gorgeous. What a lovely suggestion - thank you!

[name_f]Hana[/name_f]
[name_f]Mei[/name_f]
[name_f]Suki[/name_f]
[name_f]Gina[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]
[name_u]Ami[/name_u]
[name_f]Yuna[/name_f]
[name_u]Yuki[/name_u]
[name_u]Niko[/name_u]
[name_u]Aiko[/name_u]
[name_f]Nomi[/name_f]
[name_u]Nori[/name_u]