JD or JT?

My husband’s first name is [name_m]John[/name_m] and he goes by his middle name. We want to pass on his family name, but I’m trying to avoid the middle name as first name confusion. His mom always called him by his initials (JJ) and I suggested a middle name that lends itself to a nickname like this.

Do you prefer J.D.? or J.T.?

So far we have [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Davis[/name_u] or [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] as some ideas, but I’m torn between which initial nickname sounds better. Our last name is 2 syllables and starts with a W

I prefer JT

I like JD too but I’m hesitant about it because it makes me think of JD Sports.

I prefer JT as initials. JD already has a few strong associations: JD sports, JD from Heathers, and JD [name_m]Salinger[/name_m].

I like JD best. JT is [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Timberlake too me.

1 Like

I prefer JT! So cute!

I prefer JD :slight_smile: it flows best

I prefer JD, although JT could also work.

I prefer JT, but with [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] I immediately think of the movie [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] Must Die. I like [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Davis[/name_u] and think JD would definitely work.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think of that movie!

I know a JT ([name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]) and a JD ([name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]), both of which are pretty similar to the combinations you’re suggesting, and I think both initialisms flow well. I don’t really have a preference one way or the other.

I prefer JD! It sounds more like a complete nickname to me, because of the many characters/celebrities with the name. I agree that JT makes me think of [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Timberlake!

(Also, if you do decide to go with JT, I would switch [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] to something else because I think a lot of people might think of John [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] Must Die!!)

1 Like

Yet another person here who finds JT a little too [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Timberlake. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a pretty strong association.

But I prefer JD regardless. It just sounds right to me for whatever reason. :slight_smile:

1 Like

JD, as in J.D. [name_m]Salinger[/name_m].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I like JD. I think that it just sounds fresh, smart & down to earth. JT isn’t bad. It is very [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Timberlake. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a little more pop-culture-y. It’s not just the Timberlake thing. It just sounds more 90s for some reason? Maybe I’m reading to far into it! I like [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Davis[/name_u]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_m]John[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jack[/name_m]? That would avoid confusion.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I like JT!

I prefer the sound of JD. it also makes me think of JD from Scrubs

1 Like

JT sounds better to me! JD sounds a little more dated for some reason.

JD does sound a bit out dated but I really do like [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Davis[/name_u] as a name. I’m sorry but I can’t get [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Timberlake out of my head with JT since he is known as JT and it is referenced a lot. But if you don’t mind the possibility of the similarity [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Tucker[/name_m] isn’t the worst. Though personally I’d go with [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Davis[/name_u].:grin:

Love JD!

I knew a boy growing up who went by JD and it was kind of cute, so I think I have to go with that!