Jemima - Delilah

I’ve decided I really love the sounds of these names (they sound similar to me) but my husband hates [name]Jemima[/name], it reminds him of syrup, and I don’t really like the biblical temptress, nauseating radio personality connotations of [name]Delilah[/name]. What are some other names that have a similar sound? I know you guys can help me think of some great ones!

[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name] (pronounced [name]Jem[/name]-ma)
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Gemma[/name]/[name]Jemma[/name] was what I suggested as a nn for [name]Jemima[/name], still a no-go. (:

I guess I had in mind more The Eee-I-UH sound both names have.

[name]Eliza[/name] has that pattern…

[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Regina[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Mariah[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]

The only others I can think of are boy names ([name]Elijah[/name], [name]Josiah[/name], etc.)

During the great vowel shift, English speakers started pronouncing names like ma-[name]REE[/name]-a as names like ma-[name]RYE[/name]-a. I guess you could follow that pattern and name your daughter [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sofia[/name]/Sophiah/Sofiah and call her so-FYE-a, but that would probably get confusing. I vote for [name]Delilah[/name].

I like both your name choices…husbands don’t understand once you have the baby, the baby takes on the name and he won’t think of syrup. Could you use [name]Lila[/name] ([name]Ly[/name]-La) or [name]Delia[/name] (Deel-ya)? or do you like any of these?

[name]Arianna[/name]

[name]Cecilia[/name]

[name]Julianna[/name]

[name]Valentina[/name]

[name]Alexia[/name]

Jessima

[name]Ketura[/name]

[name]Veronica[/name]

I think [name]Veronica[/name] is very old hollywood and beautiful and [name]Alexia[/name] has great nick name possiblities.

[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name]

Thanks you guys. None of these suggestions really speak to me, and I’m starting to think that the fact those two names sounded similar and I like them both is just a coincidence. Thanks for all your help though!

[name]Keziah[/name]
[name]Laelia[/name] (pronounced LYE-lee-ah)
[name]Neriah[/name]
[name]Serafina[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
Yemima (Hebrew form of [name]Jemima[/name]-pronounced yeh-MEE-mah)

I feel exactly the same as you do! and have rejected the names for the same reason. [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Dinah[/name] were also popular slave names, so have negitive associations now. I [name]LOVE[/name] how [name]Delilah[/name] sounds, but my husband is a [name]Pastor[/name]!
[name]Dinah[/name]-someone’s in the kitchen with…

The both have a Southern sound/feel to me, so maybe that’s what you like? These names remind me of:

[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Amelia[/name].

I like [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Lyla[/name], not [name]Delilah[/name].
I did know a [name]Delilah[/name] in my neighborhood growing up. I’m not religious enough to have recognized the name from the bible or any negative connotations, so I don’t think it’s sooooo bad. Depends on where you live, but I would just pick [name]Lila[/name]/[name]Lilah[/name] however you spell it (aside from my personal problem of familial persona non grata with that name).

As also suggested, [name]Amelia[/name].
I don’t think [name]Jemima[/name] as a slave name, but for the syrup. Other slave names that aren’t syrup seem ok. To me, and I think anyone who has ever had waffles, it’s syrup.

[name]Twyla[/name]?
[name]Nila[/name]/[name]Neela[/name] - This name has started to pique my interest a lot.
[name]Iona[/name]/[name]Ione[/name] - I’m not sure what caught your ear about [name]Jemima[/name] or [name]Delilah[/name], so this may sound way different, but considerably more or less similar in … something.
[name]Petula[/name]?
[name]Camila[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Ursula[/name]

Other names like [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Delta[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Matilda[/name]?

It’s hard to pin down what you liked about those two names for an alternative, but something will come up. :slight_smile:

You may like [name]Kelila[/name] - pronounced Keh-lye-lah or lee-lah, which means ‘crown of laurel’ in Hebrew.

[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Mariah[/name]/[name]Maria[/name] (with the Mah-rye-ah prn, rather than ree-ah)
[name]Maya[/name]

Lots of names seem to have an ee-ah sound rather than the -eye-ah in [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name].

[name]Just[/name] want to note, a lot of people aren’t aware that in the nameberry search under Initial, you can search by several ending letters, not just one, so you can look for a girls name that ends in ima or ila/ilah and has three syllables. I found [name]Cosima[/name] and [name]Decima[/name] that way – but both are pronounced with a short i.