Jemima in the US

IMO it is still too early, but I would love to see the name come back one day (sooner rather than later).

When I started looking into my family history, we have Jemimas dotting the family tree, the last of the ones I’ve found so far (considering I’m missing siblings and branches of the family) passing away in 1791. I’m not one for passing on a name just because it is a family name, but this is one that I would consider if not for the current tensions surrounding the name here in the US.

1 Like

I feel Jemima is completely usable in the US.

Jemima holds controversy to some yes but there are many in Nameberry that hold negative associations to some names and not others. This isn’t a name like Adolf Hitler but of a pancake brand character (that’s not all Jemima is but you get what I’m saying) Plus if you look into the Jemima relatives they are beyond saddened and angry to see a family history that they are proud of be tarnished… so for this reason I would hate to see Jemima be thrown to the wayside it needs a comeback!

2 Likes

This was the major standout for me throughout. I think it should come back (and soon), but I also think it depends on who you are and your reasons for using or not using the name.

I guess I’m more divided than I thought. I would love to see the name return (and I would love to use it), but I have so many people in my life who would be completely offended to see it in use. I know I wouldn’t be naming my kids for their sake, but I don’t want them to be uncomfortable or ridicule me (and they would) for using it, regardless of it was family history or not.

1 Like

I’m American, and [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is one of my favorite names. I think it’s unfair that [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is singled out while names like [name_m]Tom[/name_m] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m] are okay. The name can’t be at fault, rather the people responsible for the initial and subsequent portrayals are. I see nothing wrong with using this beautiful and peaceful name.

2 Likes

Also, subsequent portrayals

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]. It reminds me of the little girl in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (a [name_m]Dick[/name_m] [name_u]Van[/name_u] Dyke musical) as well as Ms. Potter’s duck.

1 Like

Please can someone explain what the history is with this name in the US and why it’s so controversial for us poor [name_f]English[/name_f] folk who only associate this name with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang :joy:

1 Like

Posting this to answer your question. Not saying I agree with the move.

Oh dear… Very different connotations then!

I remember mentioning that I have a classmate name [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] and I adore her name, and they were like “what the f”. I didn’t even know about that brand until like 2019. [name_u]Man[/name_u], what a shame
Also I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I think Adolph/Adolf can very well come back in 100-200 years

Yes. Which makes it quite difficult for a family with a [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] here. I would love to use it as it is a family name from before the brand was named Aunt Jemima’s, but it wouldn’t go over well in today’s atmosphere here.