Jemima in the US

I saw the name on a post a few days ago and it’s quickly growing on me. At first I didn’t like it because, living in the US, my only exposure has been the brand (which is problematic to say the least), but the more I think about the actual name, the more I love it. To me, [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] feels like the color yellow and a picnic on a sunny [name_u]June[/name_u] day, but Im worried that other people might associate it with a century of racism.

The pancake company is supposed to rebrand this summer and I’m wondering how soon after [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] might become viable again. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’ll stay in the collective conscience for a long time? [name_u]Or[/name_u] might it be acceptable to have a little [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] a decade from now?

If you think she might make a comeback what are some combos you like? So far my favorite is [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] :blush:

2 Likes

I absolutely love Jemina! So so sweet. But unfortunately I think it is currently not super usable still in the US. I am also hoping it will make a comeback and escape the racist connotations in upcoming years, but I think time will tell.

Some alternatives:
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Decima[/name_f]
[name_f]Fatima[/name_f]
[name_f]Yemima[/name_f]

1 Like

I know the company is rebranding, but I think it will take a very very long time to not be associated with the brand, and the history of racism. It is unfortunate but I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the name.

Gemma is a sweet alternative

4 Likes

I have absolutely no knowledge of this name from an American perspective or what the racial associations are with it but I love this name. For me, as an [name_f]English[/name_f] person, it reminds me of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]’s [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] Puddleduck and makes me think of foxgloves and watercolour paints in the lake district :two_hearts: its elegant and vintage and lovely, but my favourite name is [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] and I wonder if using the two together would be too much [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] in one sibset! :joy:

9 Likes

I don’t see a problem with it. She was a great artist and a fantastic namer!

2 Likes

Agreed!! I absolutely adored those books as a child so I think there’s something so warm and cosy about those names for me, I just love them :heart:

1 Like

I have always loved the name [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]. I associate it with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and happy farm ducks. I also associate it with the [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_u]Shore[/name_u] mysteries. And I do associate it with Aunt [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] pancake mix, but not solely. As a little girl, I found the picture on the pancake mix comforting and warm and maternal. I didn’t know what racism was, just that she had a good, strong, kind face against a beautiful sky blue background. I still think of cerulean blue as Aunt [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u].

I now understand the racist stereotyping, but I wonder when names will be freed from their human trappings. [name_u]Amos[/name_u] for example. [name_u]Love[/name_u] that name, love many of these Biblical names. Should no one ever be named [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] or [name_u]Amos[/name_u] or scads of other names because they were used differently in the past? Clearly there are the forbiddens like [name_m]Adolph[/name_m] or Himmler, but I think most other names in the grey areas should be used if people love them enough.

Generally, I’m a “take back the names” person because language evolves and names are part of language. After all, there is nothing wrong with the name [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] itself; it’s how it used to be used.

9 Likes

This is exactly the type of response I was hoping to get. If a name is kept as a taboo I don’t think it can ever come back and it would be such a shame to lose [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]!

3 Likes

Love love LOVE [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] it’s sweet and bright. I echo @MaisieDee as a fellow [name_u]Brit[/name_u].

1 Like

I feel like I’m the only [name_u]Brit[/name_u] who doesn’t like [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]. :sweat_smile: I just find the sound awkward; the Hebrew form [name_f]Yemima[/name_f] sounds much nicer to my ears. However, it is a relatively popular name in the UK. [name_f]My[/name_f] main associations for it are [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] Puddleduck and [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] from the Bible. (The brand doesn’t exist here - I had never heard of it before I joined Nameberry).

Given that it’s a Biblical name, I was surprised to learn that it’s so unpopular in the US (typically, Old Testament names are way more popular in the US than in [name_u]Britain[/name_u]). It literally hasn’t been in the US top 1000 since 1893. I understand wanting to avoid a “stigmatized” name… but at the same time the only way the stigma will go away is if more parents actually choose this name for their daughters.

2 Likes

I hope names do come back! Though I don’t really love [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] on its own, I would be afraid of the judgement I might face using it in the real world at this point. I do mostly consider this being cowardly. Would others really be offended? Maybe if I loved the name I would feel braver about using it. Using the name should not mean that the parents or the wearer are racist or backward.

I have to admit I always cringe when parents are using [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] after the horror that is [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] Weinstein. He seems like a much worse association to me.

1 Like

I don’t like [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] and it was jarring the first time I saw it recommended as a name, but I think if I met someone named [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], I could get used to it.

Well said, “. . . freed from their human trappings.”

I agree, but I will say there are some names that may never come back ([name_m]Adolf[/name_m]), but for the most part we should resurrect names.

3 Likes

Hi there.

I think that [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is so cute. But I just don’t think that it’s time to use it in the U.S. It’s going to take a long long time for people to accept it as an acceptable name her, in my opinion. I have a friend living in the U.S. now, but is from the U.K. She really loved the name for her daughter when she was born seven years ago, but all of her U.S. friends thought that she was crazy for even thinking of using it. So, I guess that’s likely the general feeling around here. (she ending up naming her T@bitha nn T@bby by the way, which fits her spunky clever silly personality to a tee!)

Anyway, that all being said, I love [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I also like…

Jemima [name_f]Alice[/name_f]

Jemima [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]

Jemima [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]

Jemima [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] (!!!)

Jemima [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

Jemima [name_f]Fern[/name_f]

Jemima [name_f]Frances[/name_f]

Jemima [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

Jemima [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Jemima [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

Jemima [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ive always had a soft spot for [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], ever since I saw it on the little girl in Chitty Chitty bang bang. And I agree with @Harvest-Endellion. If we keep names off limits it just stays taboo. Sometimes we have to reclaim a name. I know that’s not everyone’s opinion though so it all depends on whether or not you feel you’re the person who can handle breaking the social stigma or not.

6 Likes

It’s a pretty name but it’s not usable in the US right now. How about [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]?

I don’t think there is an objective answer to the question of whether a name is usable now or not.

Again, not talking about [name_m]Adolph[/name_m]. But with most other names, once taboo and maybe not now or maybe still now, is is subjective.

2 Likes

I love these combos! [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] is absolutely adorable! I wish I was brave enough to use two quirky names in one combo, but I think [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] might make it to my list!

I think a big factor would be the names of my other future kids. If I already had a “[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]” and a “[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]”, [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] wouldn’t seem out of place, but for a first child or the little sister of a “[name_f]Susan[/name_f]” it’s likely still be unusable.

[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] is so sweet and I wouldn’t have thought of it before seeing it here. But that being said, I don’t know if the US is ready for it. The reason the pancake brand was considered bad was because they named their brand after the “aunt jemima” stereotype, which began as an insult. So it’s not just the pancake thing. I’m in the US and honestly just learned this after hearing all the talk about the pancakes! I’d at the very least recommend seriously researching the name’s history. I would use [name_f]Jemma[/name_f], but not [name_f]Jemima[/, personally.