Johanna or Joanna

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

We are in two thoughts with the spelling as both in [name_f]England[/name_f] are pronounced [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-anna
but in [name_u]America[/name_u] the spelling with the h seems to get [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-hanna. I also understand that in germany etc the spelling with the h is pronounced [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-hahn-a. I live in Australia, I have relatives with the spelling [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] so either spelling would be a namesake. A bit confused why my Irish ancestors have a very german/ european spelt name, and as they are not alive anymore I can’t ask them how they say [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce each spelling?

Also thinking of pairing the name with [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], thoughts?

Thanks.

Well I’m Swedish so I don’t know if I am of use to you, but in English, I’d pronounce [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] with the H.

I am in [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m] and I pronounce

[name_f]Joanna[/name_f] as [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] as [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]

I slightly prefer [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] but both are lovely. Also [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] works well with both.

I would pronounce the -h in [name_f]Johanna[/name_f].

I pronounce [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] as jo-hannah and [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] as [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-anna. I prefer [name_f]Johanna[/name_f].

I pronounce them both as [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-anna, and I slightly prefer the look of [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous!

I say [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-han-nah and [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] I say [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-an-uh
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] is gorgeous! I much prefer [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] to [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]

I pronounce the H and prefer [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] (one of my favorites!) but [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] is very pretty too. When I say the H it’s very soft and faint so I don’t think I’d be too bothered by people saying it [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]. [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is awesome.

That’s so weird, I have Irish ancestors called Johanna (the closest one a great-grandmother, it is also a cousin’s middle name) and I was also very confused! It’s not really a very Irish name :slight_smile: In my family, it is pronounced [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-HAH-nah (v. short [name_u]Jo[/name_u]).

I think [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]/[name_f]Joanna[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] has very nice flow

This.
[name_u]Jo[/name_u]-hannah feels fresher to me. Not as flat as [name_f]Joanna[/name_f].

I also pronounce it [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-hanna, with the h, and prefer it to [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]. [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] is on the line for me between cute/retro and dated. [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] feels more classic and sophisticated to me.

What about [name_f]Johannah[/name_f]? :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter (now 27) is [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]. We pronounce it [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-anna and, though she does have to tell people how we choose to pronounce it, she has never complained about that. Everyone in the family and all her friends learned soon enough.

I choose [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] because I loved the name [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] but hated the way it looked so she became [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] with a silent H. I still love the way it looks and have never had a moment of doubt about her name.

Like the majority, I too pronounce the “h”. However, to repeat another [name_u]Berry[/name_u], I believe that even with the pronunciation of the “h”, it will be so soft, that the two - who seem so different today - will eventually get pronounced the same.

I prefer [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] myself, but with [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], I like [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] for some reason… Great combo!