Johanna?

What do you all think of the name [name]Johanna[/name]? What comes to mind when you first hear it? What image does it give off? I automatically think of that show 18 kids and counting. Is it still 18, or has the number gone up? haha I can never keep track! But I know that is one of the girls names. So I think of the south, maybe a little bit of a hick name. But I love the sound of it and I love the nn [name]Jo[/name] or [name]Josie[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think it is too dated and country-ish? Let me know!

From my personal experience, those people I have known with this name (or have bestowed this name upon a daughter) are highly conservative and religious; “Puritanical” if you will. The “18 Kids and Counting” association is very much fitting with my real-life experience. I don’t really have the “hick” or Southern association, as I grew up in Alaska and the Northwest.

That said, I don’t really think that this is a bad association. There are some really pretty names in this group. Other names that I put into this same category are (and this is based solely on people I’ve known who fit this category):

[name]Adalyn[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Eunice[/name] (not my favorite from this group, I have to admit)

The name immediately brings to mind “[name]Johanna[/name] Spyri”, author of “[name]Heidi[/name]”. I think of it as a classic name in the same type genre as you might classify “[name]Johann[/name] S. [name]Bach[/name]”. “[name]Joanna[/name]” would be the biblical variant.

Large homechool families are generally religious (and conservative) and will typically choose names that are either biblical or classical. [name]Just[/name] because they choose to live a more “country”-like lifestyle, they are not “hicks”. On the contrary, homeschoolers tend to test as good as or better than their publicly schooled peers. (Their shyness can sometimes hide how deeply intelligent they actually are.) The country life suits them as it allows them the freedom to live greener, healthier, and be more self-sufficient. (They will grow their own food, raise their own livestock, produce their own water, handcraft a lot of their own neccesities, and re-purpose/re-use things, etc.) It is by no means an easy life, but it is one that instills the values of faith, honest labor, and self-resourcefullness.

I would never consider it dated at all. Then again, the first time I had ever heard this name was only about a year ago…so it’s still fresh to me. I can kind of see the southern association, but would not go as far as to say it’s a hick name. It’s got all the sweetness of [name]Hannah[/name], but with a little added flair.

By the way, the count is officially up to 19! The Duggars had their 19th child, a girl named [name]Josie[/name] [name]Brooklyn[/name], in [name]December[/name]. She was born several weeks early, by Cesarian due to Preeclampsia, and is still in the NICU - as far as I’ve heard.

I’m sorry I didnt mean to offend anybody with the ‘hick’ comment. I do not have any prejudices against homeschooled children- I actually was homeschooled myself, and I agree that it is a wonderful alternative to regular schooling. Often time kids are very smart when theyre homeschooled- they simply don’t like the riff raff in public schools, and they want to take their studies seriously. And I love the show 18 Kids and Counting [well, 19 now I guess!] They are doing a great job at raising their kids, so it seems. I was just wondering if other people connected the name to the family, like I did. Sorry for the confusion!

I recently have been liking the name [name]Johanna[/name] - is it pronounced
[name]Jo[/name]-[name]Hanna[/name] or [name]Jo[/name]-[name]Anna[/name]?

I do associated it with the Duggar family, just because I don’t know anyone in real life with this name. It doesn’t sound country or southern to me, though (like [name]Jim[/name] [name]Bob[/name]). I think it’s a versatile, pretty name - like pp said it reminds me of [name]Hannah[/name] but with a little more interest since it is not as commonly heard.

If I have a girl first, her name will be [name]Johanna[/name]. I love the name. My grgrandma’s name was [name]Joanne[/name] and my grandpa’s name was [name]John[/name].

I love the name [name]Johanna[/name]. I had an ancestor named [name]Johannes[/name] and I think this is a lovely feminine version. By the way, the Duggar’s 19th child was born at 25 weeks gestation. 20-50% of babies born this soon pass away and 15-25% suffer from a life-long disability. [name]Little[/name] [name]Josie[/name] has a long NICU stay ahead of her and her family has a rollercoaster ride of emotions to fight through. They can use the prayers of anyone who prays just as all preemies and their families can use them.

When I hear [name]Johanna[/name] (without pronouncing the H), I am immediately reminded of the beautiful yet tragic character from [name]Sweeney[/name] [name]Todd[/name] - a positive association in my book. The name is feminine but not prissy, cozy but not overused. I wouldn’t use it myself, but it’s lovely on someone else’s child. However, if you decide to pronounce the H, the Duggar association would be much stronger and in my opinion it comes off as [name]Hannah[/name] with something tacked on the beginning. If that’s okay with you, go for it. The name is pretty either way.

I like [name]Johanna[/name]. I don’t love it, and probably wouldn’t use it for my own child, but I wouldn’t wrinkle my nose if my best friend was considering it =]. I [name]DO[/name] think of the 18 kids and counting show, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a negative, just an association. I don’t think it sounds hick-ish or “country” in a negative sense. I do think it sounds more homey, southern comfort-ish than other names, but I think that’s part of it’s charm!

[name]Johanna[/name]/[name]Joanna[/name] are both nice.
Since you like the nn [name]Jo[/name]/[name]Josie[/name] have you considered [name]Josephine[/name]? A little old fashioned, but I think it’s so charming and classic sounding so I love it.

I like this name.

I like it pronounced either as…

[name]Yo[/name]-honna or [name]Jo[/name]-[name]Hannah[/name]

I have always liked the name [name]Johanna[/name] very much. I think the only reason it was not higher on my list for naming a daughter is that when analyzing the component parts of the name: [name]Jo[/name], [name]Hanna[/name], [name]Anna[/name] there are no original, unique sounds within the name. Nonetheless, I think the name [name]Johanna[/name] itself is a very, very nice.

Hiya,

I like it when it’s pronounced [name]Yo[/name]-hanna, which is the most common pronunciation here in Germany.
I’