Jonathan needs a middle name?

So, I’m not pregnant yet but my husband has been eager to get names sorted while “I don’t have to argue wth a pregnant lady.” :rolleyes:

So no baby imminently showing up for this, more’s the pity, but we’d like it sorted.

We’ve settled on Jonathan as a mutally acceptable compromise name that doesn’t make anybody’s hair fall out.

I like dusty, archaic, less-than-trendy names. Biblical, Victorian, etc.

An idea of my taste in boys names:
[name]Hanan[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Zacharias[/name]
[name]Zebulon[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Peregrine[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]

This? Does not go over well with DH. Here’s an example of what he likes:
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Eoin[/name].
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Aidan[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name] and [name]Euan[/name]

I thought Hanan or Samson would have some traction with these due to similar rhythm but he thinks they’re too “strange.” (Sam is stranger than Eoin? ANYWAY… so it goes). The “normalest” names I liked were Patrick and Henry and he vetoed those.

Jonathan was normal enough for him and not-trendy enough for me. But due to its sound/rhythms it sounds too close to a lot of the other ones we could have compromised on! Jonathan Owen, Jonathan Hanan, these don’t work, right?

So at the moment I have under consideration:

Jonathan [name]Pascoe[/name]
Jonathan [name]Piers[/name]
Jonathan [name]Heath[/name] (does an H work or does it turn weird following Jonathan?)
Jonathan [name]Oisin[/name] (this is Gaelic, pronounced OSH-een)
Jonathan [name]Harvey[/name]
Jonathan [name]Peregrine[/name]
Jonathan [name]Hamish[/name]

I admit I feel like I should be able to be a bit looser on the normality of a) a MN and b) he got a very normal first name, right? He did? Not weird? What’s more normal than being a Jon?

Anyway, please tell me your thoughts on the middle name of my yet-unconceived hypothetical child. :slight_smile:

I would especially like if it could be an H name if that doesn’t sound too weird, or a P name, but heck just tell me what you like. Thanks.

I like [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Owen[/name] and on your list, [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Oisin[/name] has the same sounds so it works too.

[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Chase[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Cole[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Zane[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Milo[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Roman[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Gage[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Riley[/name]

dantea, thank you!

I love [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] and [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Zane[/name]. DH has vetoed both though. I will put [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Owen[/name] back on the list if you think it works together though. I worried it was a too-repetitive sound?

[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Prentice[/name]! I’ve been commenting on lori johnson’s post about the boys she’s planning to adopt, and [name]Prentice[/name] is a middle name she likes and that really struck me. I like it so much I was trying to find the perfect first name to go with it, and my sister suggested [name]Jonathan[/name]. I don’t think [name]Jonathan[/name] would work for [name]Lori[/name], since [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] sounds much too repetitive, but [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Prentice[/name] sounds so good. And [name]Prentice[/name] is a P name! What do you think?
From your list, I like [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Piers[/name] and [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Hamish[/name]. Best wishes!
P.S. I like your whole boys’ list, and I must confess I like your husband’s, too! [name]Liam[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name] are too trendy for me, and [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] are headed there, but I like [name]Eoin[/name], [name]Ewan[/name] and [name]Euan[/name]. You might have pronunciation issues, though. I’m glad you can agree on [name]Jonathan[/name]. It’s a great name.

Since I’m a Jonothon and my middle names [name]David[/name], I am obligated to say [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]David[/name]. :stuck_out_tongue: I think [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Owen[/name] has a bit of a repeat in the O sound, but it’s nothing that bothers me too much.

I like particularly [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Piers[/name] and [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Oisin[/name] from the rest of your list.

I’m gonna give you some Irish names as I think they sound good with [name]Jonathan[/name]. I’ll put the English and the Irish spelling.

[name]Jonathan[/name] Ailbe/[name]Alby[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Bartley[/name]/[name]Bert[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] Carrick/Carrig/[name]Craig[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] Connall/[name]Connell[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Dillon[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Lochlan[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Ruari[/name]/[name]Rory[/name]

[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Owen[/name] is pretty nice. I also like: