Josephine - popularity, thoughts, etc.

I’ve posted on here a little while ago about my first baby girl’s name, torn between [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name]. I was interested to see in today’s blog post that [name]Josephine[/name] is one of the most popular names on the nameberry boards girls top 10 lists. It’s one of my favorite names, and I’m seriously considering using it for my girl due in [name]December[/name]. My husband’s favorite name for her is [name]Julia[/name], and that seems to be a comfortable choice for us. I do think [name]Julia[/name] is pretty, but it’s a name I never thought about in the past (not quite sure how we got to it).

[name]Josephine[/name], on the other hand, I love. Again, not quite sure when I first started to fall for [name]Josephine[/name], and I thought it was unique of me until I came to nameberry and see how many of you like it, too. I don’t want to name my baby [name]Josephine[/name] thinking that she’ll be the only one, and then discover that I’m just part of a rising trend. Yet, I also don’t want to get sick of it in a few years and wish I had chosen something safer and more basic, like [name]Julia[/name]. Also, it’s part of the names in ending in “-ine” trend–and my name ends in “-ine” as well–do you think that matters?

So, my questions are, do you know lots of Josephines out there, or are you starting to see babies with the name? [name]Do[/name] you see its popularity rising? What associations do you have with it, what does it make you think of? Any other suggestions for me as alternatives to [name]Josephine[/name], or [name]Julia[/name]? Other names I love are: [name]Georgina[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Willa[/name]. If I have a boy, my favorite name is [name]Henry[/name].

Thanks so much in advance for any input.

I think of a long strand of pearls when I think of [name]Josephine[/name]. I also think of the movie “Some Like It Hot”. [name]Josephine[/name] was the pseudonym of one of the male characters who dressed in drag to hide from the Mob. I think of [name]Napoleon[/name]'s queen.
I don’t think [name]Josephine[/name] will get super popular, and it’s adorable. [name]Love[/name] the nn [name]Josie[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Fina[/name], too.
[name]Josephine[/name] is opulent. Sometimes I associate it with a beautiful ancient crown, with rubies along the rim.

I agree. I like [name]Josephine[/name] the best out of all of your names. It seems so romantic, femine, and sophisticated! I do think it is becoming more popular (I know 2 in my circle) but I don’t ever think it will become as popular as some of the other top 20 names out there. Plus, I think that in the end you have to go with the name you absolutely love even if it is popular. Typically, there is a reason some names become popular…they are good names! I named my son [name]Julian[/name] and it was in the 70’s for popularity. I have run into two and I am sure that there will be a couple more in his lifetime. But, it has not been enough to bother me. And [name]Josephine[/name] is listed at 208…so far less popular. [name]Do[/name] you like the nn [name]Josie[/name] or [name]Fina[/name]? [name]Both[/name] of the Josephines I know have been shortened to [name]Josie[/name]. [name]Julia[/name] is a great choice in the fact that it is a classic. However, I personally like some of the more frilly variations of [name]Julia[/name], like [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Julianna[/name], or the more simple [name]June[/name]. They seem more fun and modern to me. Your other choices are nice too. I like them in this order [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Georgina[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], and [name]Willa[/name]. However, I still like [name]Josephine[/name] the best. Best of [name]Luck[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]…[name]Josie[/name] is the cutest nick name. I think you are safe as far as it becoming really popular.

I love [name]Josephine[/name], as well as the other options you listed. I know of only two little Josephines, and I still think it’s fantastic. To me, [name]Josephine[/name] is elegant and intelligent, and like [name]Susan[/name], I picture pearls. At the same time, the [name]Josie[/name] and [name]Posey[/name] nicknames remind me of a happy, perky little girl.

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

One of my problems with [name]Josephine[/name] is that I don’t love the nicknames. [name]Josie[/name] is probably my favorite of the nn’s, but I don’t love it. I think [name]Posey[/name] is kind of cute, but my husband definitely is not. So I would try to call her by her full name, though I know nicknames are inevitable. For middle name, I’m thinking [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name].

I’ll continue to let it brew over the next few months, we still have a while. I’m trying to get my husband to appreciate [name]Josephine[/name] more, as he’s become really attached to [name]Julia[/name]. I think I’d be happy with [name]Julia[/name], but wish I was more excited about it. Hmm…will keep thinking, and I’m sure I’ll post here again soon!

Thanks again for your input.

what about josephine clare/claire ? i think that works really really well

I’m [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elise[/name]. I was named after both of my great grandmothers.
I have never met another [name]Josephine[/name] although I’ve heard of them, I know one [name]Josie[/name] (fullname). I live in Australia though, not sure about anyone else.

I’ve lived in [name]London[/name], [name]France[/name] and Japan. I may have met [name]Josephine[/name]'s in [name]London[/name] and [name]France[/name] but I don’t remember, sorry, it was in my uni days…

I’ve always been [name]Josie[/name], but my family only ever call me [name]Jos[/name]. I can’t imagine being [name]Fina[/name] or [name]Posey[/name], they seem like silly nn’s to me, although of course it’s up to you.

I hope you choose [name]Josephine[/name]!

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name] is beautiful! I like the nn [name]Josie[/name], but you could also use Sephy (seff-ee).
I don’t think it’s a problem that both of your names end in -ine, either.

I agree with the previous posters - [name]Josephine[/name] is fantastic. I think of an elegant lady wearing a long dress and cloche hat in the roaring twenties. It’s a name with substance and style - feminine, intelligent, and sophisticated. It also manages to be elegant without sounding too high-falutin’, or as if it’s trying too hard. Best of all, I have the feeling that if you just naturally love it, then you should go with your instinct and use the name. [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name] is a great combination. I honestly cannot see [name]Josephine[/name] being super-popular in the near future.
Also, I personally think that the -ine ending that you would share with your daughter is touching. I think it’s a neat way to have a subtle family name connection.

Thanks for your replies. And for your personal perspective, [name]Josie[/name]! I do like [name]Josie[/name], it’s very cute. But I think I would try to call my daughter by her full name…

I was interested to see the reaction of people on these boards, since [name]Josephine[/name] seems to be so popular here. [name]Just[/name] wondering if there was anyone who’s recently used it for their daughter.

Two more questions:

1. What about [name]Josephine[/name] as mn? What first names do you suggest with it? And how about more combo ideas with [name]Josephine[/name] as first name? I like [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name]/[name]Claire[/name] but am open to ideas.

2. Also, what are some good sibling names for [name]Josephine[/name]? If I have a boy, [name]Henry[/name], [name]William[/name], and [name]Nathaniel[/name] are my favorite names. What about a sister?

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Colette[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mae[/name]

[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Lila[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (I think [name]Willa[/name] is already on your list)

Sisters for [name]Josephine[/name] (love all of your boy names, btw!)
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about :
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Agnes[/name].

And with [name]Josephine[/name] as the mn :
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (I think this one goes particularly well)
[name]Evangelina[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (perhaps to many ‘j’ sounds)
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Melia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Regina[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (nn [name]Queenie[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
Mneme (nem-ee) [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Tulip[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
Zeporah [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Josephine[/name].

As for a sister :
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Constance[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Petrova[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Ambrosia[/name] (perhaps too similar)
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Evangelina[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Seraphina[/name] (perhaps too similar)
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] (perhaps too matchy)
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] (perhaps too matchy)
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Guinevere[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Cordelia[/name].

Good luck!

Thanks for these quick responses! Some interesting ideas here…but I have to say I’m a little scared by the sister suggestions–these names aren’t really up my alley (eg [name]Petrova[/name], [name]Ambrosia[/name], [name]Evangelina[/name], [name]Guinevere[/name], [name]Isadora[/name]). I know they’re just suggestions and I so appreciate you trying, but it worries me that [name]Josephine[/name] falls into that camp of names–exotic, frilly, elaborate, not sure how to describe it. I like your suggestions: [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Violet[/name]. More classic, traditional names.

So do you see [name]Josephine[/name] as a “[name]Tatiana[/name]” type frilly name, or more classic, traditional? Interestingly, my husband once mentioned that he thinks of [name]Josephine[/name] as a “[name]Tatiana[/name]”-esque name.

I think that because [name]Josephine[/name] stems from [name]Joseph[/name] it sounds less frilly than say [name]Tatiana[/name] or [name]Arabella[/name], but that’s just me. Also, with all the Isabellas and Sophias running around, I don’t think [name]Josephine[/name] will feel overly frilly growing up :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s frilly at all, I was just chucking down all the long names which I like and don’t particularly clash … (I like really feminine names. Although, not [name]Tatiana[/name]. Or [name]Arabella[/name]. But most of the ones I put down, I personally like).
I love love [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Violet[/name]. [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] would be so pretty :smiley:

Thanks, twinkle. And sorry, I hope I didn’t offend you by my comments that I don’t like those names!

I’m still fickle–but now leaning back toward [name]Julia[/name] after this weekend:

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

or

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] (even though it doesn’t sound perfect with our hard-G last name)

It’s quite alright - I know my taste can be a little bizarre, and very, very feminine! (By bizarre I mean, one of my favourite girls’ names is Hekate (hek-at-ee) …)

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] - both of these have brilliant flow, and [name]Julia[/name] is a lovely name! My personal favourite would have to be [name]Julia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], as this just seems to roll off the tongue in the most perfect way, and [name]Charlotte[/name] is a pretty name, too.

Good luck!

i actually think julia margaret is better than julia charlotte bc of the repeat in the L. but i guess then there is the last name issue. i don’t know…i guess they both work really well. i am partial to josephine these days but think julia is great too.

I would be put off [name]Josephine[/name] because [name]Jo[/name] is a nn for so many names, and I’m sure she’d end up getting called [name]Jo[/name]. Having said that, I [name]LOVE[/name] the nn [name]Fina[/name] for [name]Josephina[/name].