Juliet's middle name (and other issues)

See the results of this poll: Which spelling do you prefer?

Respondents: 28 (This poll is closed)

• Juliet: 17 (61%)
  • Juliette: 11 (39%)

hmm i can see your prob about the sp and mn issues. but there could be enough room for compromise.
i voted for [name]Juliet[/name]. i am like you and think [name]Juliet[/name] is more streamlined and [name]Juliette[/name] is too frilly. the only time i liked [name]Juliette[/name] was the combo i saw [name]Esme[/name] [name]Juliette[/name] and i usually dont liee either. funny how that works. but [name]Juliet[/name] has always been a fav of mine! beautiful!
[name]Catherine[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] are all stunning esp with [name]Juliet[/name]/[name]Juliette[/name]. but if youve exhausted those and keep coming back to [name]Sophia[/name] then i think you should use that. but since partner doesnt think that a good idea what if you gave him [name]Juliette[/name] to get [name]Sophia[/name] and pick one of the other names to honor someone. thats how i name mine. i pick first and second names that i just like and third honors someone.

[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]/[name]Cate[/name]…
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] (tho this one isnt ideal)
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
my fav would either be catherine or maeve

hope it helps or at least gets you thinking!

[name]Hi[/name] jayjoh! Congrats on your twins, how exciting!! I would love to have twins of my own someday!

I agree with you on the [name]Juliet[/name] spelling, it’s much more refined and elegant than Julilette, she looks like she’s trying to hard. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] best with [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Reeve[/name]. I like [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Reeve[/name] together, one syllable names that contain the letter V, simple but cute. Does [name]Derrick[/name] not like [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name]? Would [name]Sylvia[/name] or [name]Sylvie[/name] work instead? [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]… maybe that doesn’t sound quite right. [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Mae[/name] sounds better! Hmm… this is tough!

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, good luck!

[name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Reeve[/name]!

Although I prefer the spelling [name]Juliet[/name], I can see where [name]Derrick[/name] is coming from. [name]Juliette[/name] isn’t unnecessarily frilly just for frilly’s sake - it’s the French version of the same name. I know you know this, I’m just trying to say that while [name]Juliet[/name] is simpler I don’t think it is more sophisticated. If [name]Derrick[/name] feels that strongly about the spelling of a name you both love, then go with it. As for middles, choose one name you love and one that honors someone. Am I oversimplifying?

[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Eve[/name] - talk about sophistication!

Maybe list your very favorite names and people you’d like to honor and we’ll see what we can come up with?? What do you mean that [name]Derrick[/name] likes popular/trendy names - would [name]Sophia[/name] appeal to him? What are some others he likes?

[name]Jay[/name]

Firstly, I, too, prefer [name]Juliet[/name]. It is simple and streamlined and elegant. I can’t say that I dislike [name]Juliette[/name], but it does seem overly frilly to me and it takes away a bit from the understated beauty of [name]Juliet[/name]. The only time I think I’d pick [name]Juliette[/name] would be if the name were [name]Julietta[/name] - then it just makes sense! So, I vote [name]Juliet[/name], wholeheartedly. It isn’t too close to [name]Julie[/name] - I wouldn’t worry about that at all!

As for middle names, I’m saddened by the loss of [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Catriona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]. However, I was wondering if you’d honored yourselves in any of the kids’ names? I know this isn’t a direct connection, but I thought of [name]Daria[/name] to honor [name]Derrick[/name], because it begins with a similar sound. [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Daria[/name] is very pretty and distinguished, I think!

I know you want to honor family, and even if you are in love with [name]Sophia[/name] right now, which I agree is beautiful, I think you should stick to that commitment for [name]Jules[/name]’ name. You’ve done it for [name]Zachary[/name], [name]Camille[/name], [name]Laura[/name], and now [name]Benjamin[/name], so why stop a good thing? Anyway, I know we’ve got a [name]Mary[/name], [name]Catrin[/name], [name]Livia[/name], and something related to [name]Eve[/name] to work with as far as family names - anything else? I think [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Daria[/name] [name]Mary[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Daria[/name] [name]May[/name] would be gorgeous, but, maybe something like [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] [name]Eva[/name], [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Cate[/name], or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]? Or, the very classic [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Mary[/name] would be pretty.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Not feeling well enough right now to give a good response (but thanks so much for all the input so far) but I just wanted to let you know, [name]Lauren[/name], that [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Catriona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] hasn’t been abandoned! When I said variations of [name]Catherine[/name], I meant [name]Catriona[/name] was included.

Oh, that’s great! Anyway, I forgot to mention [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Daria[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Daria[/name] [name]Joy[/name] as ways of honoring you and [name]Derrick[/name] in [name]Jules[/name]’ names. [name]Feel[/name] better!

I too prefer [name]Juliet[/name] and I really don’t like [name]Juliette[/name] (those two letters make a huge difference to me…) If you really like [name]Sophia[/name] and think that its gonna be your last child I think that it would be awesome if you could use that name! My favorite combo would be [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and I also like [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Catalina[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]…

Hang in there – I know how exasperating this whole naming process can be – especially when you love names. :slight_smile:

Our daughter is [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]. My DH was big on the longer spelling too, and I didn’t have a super strong preference, so I gave in. I think it looks balanced with the two sets of double letters in both names, so I like it. We get lots of compliments on her name, so I stay stick with [name]Juliet[/name] – however you end up spelling it.

I like [name]Juliet/name [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] or [name]Juliet/name [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]. Very pretty!!

Congratulations on deciding! [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] are great together and with your other kids. You have an extremely well-named family! :slight_smile:

I definitely prefer the [name]Juliet[/name] spelling in this case. In a French context, I think [name]Juliette[/name] is pretty, but [name]Juliet[/name] is more streamlined and classic looking, and my favorite overall, I guess. Also, [name]Juliet[/name] will probably be the more common spelling, so she won’t have many issues with spelling. It’s a lovely name, and I think it’s wonderful with [name]Benjamin[/name].

Here are some random middles for [name]Juliet[/name]:

[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Iris[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Lila[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

I feel indifferent about [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Juliette[/name] - I like both.

Let him have [name]Juliette[/name], then for mn, choose a name you love (e.g. [name]Sophia[/name]) and choose a name you can honor.

What other family names besides [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] would you like to use?

Some suggestions:
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Delia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]- J for you and D for [name]Derrick[/name].
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Cate[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Claire[/name]- [name]Victoria[/name] has the same meaning as [name]Jay[/name] :slight_smile:
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Cate[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Ava[/name]- [name]Ava[/name] is a varient of [name]Eve[/name]

I’m not great at middle names, so I don’t have any suggestions. Maybe one middle can honor someone and the other can be something you love like [name]Sophia[/name]?

As far as [name]Juliet[/name] vs [name]Juliette[/name], I vastly prefer [name]Juliet[/name]. [name]Juliet[/name] really doesn’t need those two extra letters. [name]Juliet[/name] has the history, and [name]Juliette[/name] just feels overly frilly and doll-ish. [name]Juliette[/name] strips away the timelessness and class that [name]Juliet[/name] has. Everyone has to read [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] at some point, so I really doubt anyone will mistake it as [name]Julie[/name]. I say dig your feet in about [name]Juliet[/name], that’s how much I don’t like that extra -te.

I also prefer the [name]Juliet[/name] spelling although I don’t dislike [name]Juliette[/name].
Your other children have lovely names too!
[name]May[/name] I ask who chose the names previously?

[name]Jay[/name], hang in there. It’ll all work out and you’ll come up with the perfect name like the rest of your children!

As for the spelling, I prefer [name]Juliet[/name], but there really is nothing wrong with [name]Juliette[/name]. [name]Juliette[/name] is just the french version, doesn’t really make it frilly in my opinion. If [name]Derrick[/name] feels so strongly about the spelling, then maybe you can compromise. He gets the spelling, you get [name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Both[/name] middle names don’t have to honor people. I think if you use one name that you truely love and one that honors someone would not be selfesh. Also, [name]Juliette[/name] spelling works well with [name]Benjamin[/name]. I like that they both have 8 letters, something else to connect them without being matchy.

As for middle names, if you go with a compromise, I really like [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] (I like [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Reeve[/name] in there for that connection again) or [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Cate[/name].

And feel better!

I’m in the minority, but I like [name]Juliette[/name]. [name]Juliet[/name] looks very harsh and abrupt to me. I think they’re about equally common (didn’t actually check though, feeling lazy) so I think either spelling will have a little bit of a problem with correcting people who assume the other, but not too much. I like:
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Raya[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Maya[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]Noa[/name]

[name]Jay[/name]-

I like both spellings of the name. I vote for [name]Juliette[/name] though. I like that it’s a little longer to balance w/ [name]Benjamin[/name]. I also just like the look of it and I feel like the double “t” kinda has the feel of [name]Scarlett[/name], which I know is out w/ your last name, but you like. [name]Juliette[/name] (that spelling) has history just as [name]Juliet[/name] does so it’s not just a frilly version or creative spelling. I think either way could work.

Definitely think you should continue honoring family w/ one of the middle names. You can find a great combo with [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name] (or rose or mary separately?), etc. What other names do you want to incorporate or honor with the middle name?