Junior-ettes?

So there’s an old tradition of the men in a family being called [name]Jr[/name]., III, IV, V etc. but I’ve never heard of women doing the same. Why not? Because not wanting to sound shallow but one of my favourite names is my own and I think it’s not really fair that fathers can call their sons after them but mothers can’t do the same with their daughters. Maybe that’s me, what does everyone else think?

I’m not really sure what you’re asking. It is ok and acceptable to name your daughter after yourself. Most don’t recommend it for a boy or a girl, most would rather avoid confusion in the house and the child would have his or her own name.

Females aren’t Juniors or II, III, IV, etc. mostly for the fact that surnames run patrilineally. That is, a woman’s last name comes from her father, and when she gets married, traditionally changes to her husband’s last name, his father’s father’s father’s last name. So even if you name your daughter, Your Name II, it’s likely not to stick.

Now let’s say you keep your maiden name when you got married, and nowadays, I hear people can and do sometimes have the husband change his name to yours or randomly assign any children with your last name or his. My old aunt’s older sister’s husband changed his last name, because these sisters didn’t have any brothers “to carry on the name,” so I believe this to not be remarkably modern or progressive, it was before Women’s [name]Lib[/name]. Your daughter can be Your Name II, but she will probably change her name when she gets married, or her daughter will, and the line will be broken. This would also tend to be the case if your mother kept her own maiden name and gave it to you, or changed her name to something else.

The scheme would only work long term if it became more traditional to keep women with different names from their husbands and assigning this name to their daughters down the line, as a matter of custom, rather than personal preference.

[name]Just[/name] wanted to say the great designer, [name]Carolina[/name] Herrera, has a [name]Carolina[/name] Herrara [name]Jr[/name].

I see no reason why you couldn’t name your daughter after yourself…but I would give her her own middle name to avoid the roman numerals after her name which would just be confusing if she did change her last name.
Have you ever watched [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls? The mother’s name is [name]Lorelai[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name] and the daughter’s name is [name]Lorelai[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name] (but she goes by [name]Rory[/name]). I always thought that was pretty cool.

[name]Ah[/name], thanks [name]Karen[/name], the surname thing makes sense:)