Juno too confusing?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],
We are still trying to choose a name for our female chocolate cockapoo puppy (I posted the other day).
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Juno[/name_f] should be ruled out because it has the word “no” in it? Would that be too confusing for the dog?
Thanks!

2 Likes

BTW - she is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

It’s possible she might have confusion but I doubt it. I find that dogs hear emotional tones as well as sounds, and often they hear consonants more than vowels. For example, take a phrase most dogs know as praise, like “Good Dog!”, but say it in a reprimanding tone of voice and body language and they interpret it as something completely different. Also, dogs are MUCH smarter than we think, and almost every dog I’ve ever been around (and in 50 years that’s a LOT - my oldest daughter shows and trains dogs for a living) actually knows when they have done something wrong, even before you tell them “no”. The word is just letting them know that you know lol. (hope that made sense). I also find that most people have tons of nicknames for their dogs and don’t always call them by their official name. For example… you might find yourself calling her [name_f]Junie[/name_f], Junebug, JuJu, Jujubee, JoobyJoo, Joobiddyjoo, JoJo, JuneGirl, Julicious, Joosephine, etc, etc, etc more than you actually call her “Juno”. Thus she learns to hear the beginning “Juh” sound of her name more than the “no” part.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helped! She is a beautiful dog and looks super sweet! Try a few different names out on her and see what sticks! Good luck!

1 Like

She’s sooo cute! Juno is an excellent name! And I don’t think this name would be confusing. It’s all about intonation with dogs anyway—not what you’re saying but how you’re saying it. She probably won’t recognize or mind that the word “no” is also a syllable in her name.

it’s all about how you phrase the ‘no’ in her name and as a standalone word. They can hear the differences in tone you use etc.
I think [name_f]Juno[/name_f] will be a great name!

She’s beyond adorable!!!

I think [name_f]Juno[/name_f] would be perfect name for her & I agree with the berries it’s how the word no is phrased. If you are concerned [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] could also be cute

I agree with the Berrie’s above. Dogs reflect on tone, so unless you’re actually made at [name_f]Juno[/name_f], it’ll just be her. [name_f]Juno[/name_f] fits her great.

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] is the perfect name for the lil cutie. I don’t think it’ll be confusing at all! There’s no emphasis on the ‘no’ part so I think it’s fine and fits her so well.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_f]Juno[/name_f]! I think you’d be ok. You’ll typically be using a different tone of voice when saying, “No!” You could always call her [name_f]Junie[/name_f] if it’s a concern.

First, she is so cute, and those eyes are gorgeous!
Second, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a lovely name, I think it would work quite well for her! I completely agree with the berries before hand. It’s based on emphasis and dogs pay attention to how you sound/act, so I think [name_f]Juno[/name_f] would understand the difference between her name and other commands. :blush:

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend has a very well trained 7 year old pup named [name_u]Juneau[/name_u] and I don’t think it’s ever been a problem