Jupiter - Crazy or Heavenly?

My friend [name]Meagan[/name] is going to give birth in about a month to her second baby (her first is already eleven months old, named [name]Sari[/name]). And now she tells me what she wants to name him. . . .

[name]Jupiter[/name].

Is this name crazy or heavenly? That’s my question. Post what you think and PLEASE don’t hesitate to give suggestions, either for a middle name for [name]Jupiter[/name] or a different first name. . . .

Thanks! [name]Meagan[/name] will really appreciate it! :slight_smile: !!

Sorry, but I really dislike [name]Jupiter[/name], particularly for a boy. Names I could see with [name]Sari[/name]:

[name]Aldo[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Isiah[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Kenzo[/name]
[name]Siraj[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Luca[/name]

Hmmmm… a little wierd but I like it at the same time. I think it would make a cool middle name. Or maybe use [name]Jupiter[/name] with a J middle name so he could be J.J. It would also be nice to give him a more common middle name so he could use that if he wanted when he is older.

[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Jesse[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name]
[name]Jace[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name]

Or [name]Jasper[/name] would be a nice alternative to [name]Jupiter[/name].

I kind of think it’s ok in theory, if you like crazy, out-there names. It is definitely not everyone’s taste, but we use some gods’ and goddesses’ names as we like, and some of them are planets - the names [name]Mark[/name] and [name]Marcia[/name] are related to [name]Mars[/name], and [name]Venus[/name] [name]Williams[/name] is an example of how to work it ([name]Pluto[/name] the dog from Disney may or may not be). I think there is some undefinable feeling that some are off-limits for their power or imagery, and some are approachable and name-like enough to stand out without being totally weird. Planets and zodiac constellations seem to fall usually on the side of weird, because wouldn’t you rather be related to an earthly god than to sound like an alien from outer space or new-age-y (regardless of the fact we made those names and applied them to stellar objects ourselves to illustrate the stories)?

However, I would caution that [name]Jupiter[/name] rhymes with “stupider,” and used in a schoolyard taunt:

“Boys go to [name]Jupiter[/name] to get more stupider, girls go to [name]Mars[/name] to get more candy bars!” (the taunt works as well if you switch the boys and girls in the phrase) - nowadays I think the part about going to [name]Mars[/name] has been replaced by “college, to get more knowledge,” at least according to a few top websites that came up on a basic search. A little superiority of one sex over the other as a chant.

All else I can think about [name]Jupiter[/name] is that it has the giant red eye. That seems a little like taping a kick me sign to your kid. I think the word [name]Jupiter[/name] makes some unfortunate nicknames, not totally foul, but [name]Joop[/name], Joopy? Poopy? I don’t know, it just seems kind of iffy to me.

I can definitely see the appeal - the mythological reference, the strong sound, the uniqueness yet familiarity . . .
that said, I wouldn’t use it myself.

But, I might use [name]Jove[/name] . . . do you think they might go for that instead?

Actually, the more I think about [name]Jove[/name], the more I really like it! It’s got a lot of the same positive attributes as [name]Jupiter[/name], but it’s subtler and far more approachable, while having a really handsome sound (and it has the option of nn [name]Joe[/name] if the kid decides he’d rather blend in to the crowd a bit more).

Now for me [name]Jupiter[/name] seems more like a girls name to me. Mainly i guess because i think back to [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Moon[/name] when they said [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Venus[/name], [name]Sailor[/name] Mercurary (spelling i know), and [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Jupiter[/name]. All of which were female. I really like the other posters suggestions so far though!

Crazy. But cool.

I really like the suggestion of [name]Jove[/name] (or perhaps [name]Jovian[/name]?), because it carries the same meaning but is much more forgiving. [name]Jupiter[/name] is powerful and amazing, but you KNOW the child is going to end up with a nickname, any there are tons of bad ones with this: [name]Joop[/name] is bad enough, but it could turn into Ju, which sounds just like Jew, which could get his friends into trouble if they yell it at him, as some kids use it as an insult (which is horrible in itself).

[name]Jove[/name] or [name]Jovian[/name] are nicer, and, while a little more arcane than [name]Jupiter[/name], still convey the meaning.

[name]Jupiter[/name] does not sound like the name of a real person to me. I like the suggestion of [name]Jove[/name], though, if the parents want to stick with the meaning.

I’ve talked to [name]Meagan[/name] about this and she said she loves the name [name]Jove[/name] - and the idea for J.J. And now she relates the “[name]Jupiter[/name]-with-stupider” part, but she still loves [name]Jupiter[/name]. I used to know a really great chef named [name]Jupiter[/name]: he was the cook for the synagouge I used to go to (I’m Jewish), but then he got another job. I miss him, and I’d love for [name]Jupiter[/name] to be, at least, a nn. . . .

Thank you for all your suggestive and considerate replies! [name]Meagan[/name] adores all of them. She’s even thinking of [name]Sherlock[/name], because of [name]Sherlock[/name] [name]Holmes[/name], but her husband [name]Martin[/name] disapproved . . . and I can tell why: one, because both [name]Martin[/name] and [name]Meagan[/name] are dark-haired, and [name]Sherlock[/name] means “fair-haired”; and two, he thinks it impossible for a human man to be as witty and clever and handsome as [name]Sherlock[/name] [name]Holmes[/name], although he loves the actor [name]Jeremy[/name] [name]Brett[/name], who plays Mr. [name]Holmes[/name] in a former TV series.

Thank you so much, again. :slight_smile: !!

If her son’s name was [name]Jove[/name] she could still use [name]Jupiter[/name] as a nickname, since their meaning is the same and are often used interchangeably. It’s a nice option to have, and, when he’s older, he can make the decision for himself which he wants to go by.

I actually find [name]Jupiter[/name] attractive. It’s probably because it’s the name of a man in one of [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allan[/name] [name]Poe[/name]'s tales, though [name]Jupiter[/name] (deemed “Jup” by the narrator and [name]William[/name]) isn’t too intelligent. But he’s good hearted!

Anyhow, I think it’s crazy and heavenly. Some combos:
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Mael[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name]/[name]Ambroise[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Alphonse[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Claudius[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]/[name]Celestino[/name] (Okay, maybe a little much. xD)
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Cornelius[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Cosmas[/name]/[name]Cosme[/name]/[name]Cosmo[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Benedict[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Etienne[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Eugenio[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Emmanuel[/name]

Not too many good ones, considering that [name]Jupiter[/name] doesn’t seem to go well with much. =/ I hope I could help some, though! (:

i love the name [name]Jupiter[/name]! I’m naming my boy either [name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name] or [name]Jupiter[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. As far as nicknames go or shortening , hasn’t anyone thought of peter or pete? you could even spell it with an e “jupeter” or using the middle names as a nickname like jp. and as far as i know little kids dont really make fun of others kid’s names these days since theres so many crazy names its not uncommon to have an uncommon name. nicknames dont necessarily have to be cut out of the name think of the old name richard nickname dick