Keyboards and baby names

I was reading this article: Study: Keyboards Are Influencing What You Name Your Baby | TIME
I’ll quote the basic thought behind it, just incase the link isn’t working (or you don’t want to read the whole thing).

I was just wondering what you all think about this. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you favor “right-side” names over “left”?

Haha no. This doesn’t hold true for my personal tastes and I have serious doubts about it as a theory. Letters go in and out of fashion, but I’m not buying this explanation.

No, I don’t think this is true really at all. Left side letters x, v, and a are really popular in names right now.

If letters typed with the left hand are in some way “sinister” (originally a Latin word meaning “left”), then my name of “[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]” is about 43 percent sinister. Not quite over on the dark side, but close. Bwahaha.

It’s amazing how many weird theories people invent… Not true to my favorite names, they tend to be more on the ‘sinister’ side ([name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Archie[/name_m]). I wonder what it says about me!

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter must be a vortex of evil, with only a lone I to save her (type c-a-s-s-i-a).

I certainly believe in all sorts of cognitive biases, but this theory is beyond ludicrous.

Kakin: 20% sinister
Jackal: 50% sinister
Anaxandra: 78% sinister
[name_f]Nephele[/name_f]: 43% sinister
[name_f]Polina[/name_f]: 17% sinister
[name_m]Blade[/name_m]: 80% sinister

[name_m]Blade[/name_m] wins!

I don’t think so, either. I looked at both sets of letters, and I invariably thought, “But the left letters are prettier!” I just like those letters more. With the exception of a few names ([name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m]), the rest of my list is made up of left-hand names. Which makes more sense to me, because in English (and a good many languages, and many western nations) you read from left to right, so it just seems more natural that the left side would be favored to me? Anyway. What an odd theory!

Oh, I’m so pure!:wink:

[name_m]How[/name_m] funny. [name_f]My[/name_f] real name only has one “positive” letter. I guess my mum is attracted to the dark side. :slight_smile: [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites seem to be all over the keyboard.

World domination Step One, check.

Haha, this is so funny! Most of my favorite names all start with “sinister” letters, so I guess that’s how my dark side comes out :wink:

The theory just seems so weird and I’m interested in how they came up with the idea.