Kian v.s Cian

Its probably much too early to think of names for a future brother or sister of [name]Susannah[/name] as we have only had her with us for nearly 3 weeks, and my DH would think I’m crazy if I suggested it.

But I’ve been having this niggling thought lately about the name [name]Kian[/name], which I have loved since my late teens. Yet suprisingly I did not think about during my pregnancy, its one of those names that I love and then somehow forget and then when it pops into my head again I fall in love with it’s simple yet exotic sound. KEE ANH with emphasis on the second syllable.

And if I have a boy sometime in the future, and if my DH likes it then it could be a potential forerunner.

[name]Kian[/name] is a name with the Urdu/Persian meaning “[name]King[/name]” or “[name]Royal[/name]”, and has also been a surname…also it is one of the variant spellings of [name]Cian[/name].

[name]Cian[/name] means “ancient” and its roots are Gaelic.

My problem is which one works with [name]Susannah[/name] the best, or if they don’t at all tell me why.

Here are my cases for each one:

[name]Kian[/name]-

First of all the spelling, people will most likely find this easier to spell. Second, [name]Susannah[/name]'s name origin is Hebrew, I can somehow link this to the Persian [name]Kian[/name]. Sort of. I would prefer to use the Persian origin, so when I relate to the name it “is” the traditional spelling whereas if I use it as the Gaelic origin it “is” not.

[name]Cian[/name]-Although I prefer the [name]Kian[/name] spelling, this one links back nicely to my Irish heritage. And somehow it looks nicer with [name]Susannah[/name], though I might be fooling myself. But it will probably have a few spelling problems.

So…Thoughts? :slight_smile:

[name]Kian[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name]

or

[name]Cian[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name]

[name]Cian[/name] looks like a real name to me, [name]Kian[/name] looks more alien to be but then I’m scottish so i suppose teh celtic is more familair.

Also i always initially see [name]Cian[/name] as Cee-an and [name]Kian[/name] as Kee-an, i know tehy are both pn Kee-an but that’s just what my brain does, is that an issue for you?

TBH honest as only one letter different i think they are entirely interchangeable.

I don’t really think they go with [name]Susannah[/name] just because completely different style but i don’t think they clash horribly with it either.

That’s probably not helped at all :?

I prefer the Irish [name]Cian[/name] myself but that may be for couple of reasons: (1) I’m of Irish background; (2) I just think it looks more visually appealing with a “C” and (3) I have a strong aversion to “K” names for some reason. [name]Susannah[/name] looks a little longer next to [name]Cian[/name] but I think they work together. You may also like [name]Ciaran[/name].

To me [name]Kian[/name] is more phonetic, so a bit easier to pronounce. I prefer the look of [name]Cian[/name], but I never know if it is the hard C or soft C sound. Usually, in English, if there is an i or e after the C, it is the soft sound. The [name]Kian[/name] spelling helps clear that up for me. [name]Both[/name] are fine, you just may have to pronounce the [name]Cian[/name] version for people more often. I think it goes fine with [name]Susannah[/name]. I have very eclectic tastes in names though, so I’m sure my kiddos names won’t “match”. I really like [name]Kian[/name]!

I think [name]Cian[/name] looks better with [name]Susannah[/name]- but looking at it I would pronounce it “see-anh”
With [name]Kian[/name] I read it as “Kee ANH”

I think it is more important to go with the one that looks more like the sound you are going for :slight_smile:

Personally, I much prefer [name]Cian[/name]. It looks much harsher with a K, and susannah is a very gently sweet name. I like [name]Cian[/name] more with it.

[name]Kian[/name] looks more masculine for me and although I would have pronounced [name]Cian[/name] the same way a lot of people in england might not. If you want less confusion then go with a k. If you’re not bothered about mispronunciation then either. I’m not sure when you would ever ‘see’ your kids names together - other than maybe writing Xmas cards so I’m not sure it makes much of a difference.

I prefer [name]Cian[/name] because it looks more authentically Irish, but since [name]Kian[/name] is an Urdu/Persian name as well as an Irish variant my preference, in your case, is sort of negated :slight_smile:
I think [name]Kian[/name] would probably be the better choice for you because it has both Persian and Irish ties and because it will be easier for people to pronounce.
I love your daughter’s name, by the way!

[name]Cian[/name], for sure. [name]Kian[/name] just looks like a trendy spelling, even if it is legit.

Thanks for the input! :slight_smile: