Kingsley?

What are you thoughts on the name [name]Kingsley[/name] for a girl? [name]King[/name] is a family name that I would love to use. The only problem I have with it is that it is a little trendy with the “ley” at the end. I try to stay away from trendy and popular names because my first name is extremely common and it drives me crazy! Although [name]Kingsley[/name] sounds trendy I don’t think it’ll ever be common. Tell me your honest thoughts! Thanks:)

I’m sorry, but it just reminds me of [name]Kingsley[/name] from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] and he was male…

I’m not vehemently anti-male names on females or unisex names at all, but I don’t think that [name]Kingsley[/name] would wear well on a girl. [name]Kinsley[/name] or [name]Kinley[/name] are very similar but seem to me as if they would be easier to wear.

I’ve always loved [name]Kinga[/name]. I think that could be a way to use [name]King[/name], but avoid that ley ending. [name]Kingslie[/name] reminds me of [name]Ainslie[/name], [name]Tinsley[/name], ect. While [name]Kinga[/name] reminds me of [name]Elka[/name], [name]Anya[/name], [name]Franka[/name]…more sophisticated imo.

love it. I also love [name]Kingston[/name] on girl

Why do you need to use the family name on a girl?

No.
Absolutely no from me.

[name]Kingsley[/name] is a boys name, not a girls. The very obvious [name]KING[/name] solidifies it for me. I know the meanings gender neutral, but c’mon.
All I see it [name]Kingsley[/name] Shaklebolt, and [name]Kingsley[/name] from youtube.

I don’t feel the vehement opposition some do but I don’t really like the sound. I like the name [name]Kinga[/name] although I think it’s very bold. I know a woman with this name, I think she’s Polish, and I think it means something utterly unrelated to Kings in Polish (haven’t gotten around to asking). I would stick to just [name]King[/name] in the middle spot.

I would just use [name]King[/name] before I used [name]Kingsley[/name] because at least with [name]King[/name] you could just make a bold family name choice but [name]Kingsley[/name] just looks trendy and flighty on a girl or in general imo because of the “ley” trend.

I think [name]Kingsley[/name] is cute!

I don’t care for [name]Kingsley[/name] to be honest. I agree that [name]Kinley[/name] or [name]Kinsley[/name] would both be better, although both do sound trendy.

I guess I don’t see [name]King[/name] as such a male name since I’m a girl and grew up with it as one of my names. I definitely understand why it’s an obvious male name to some. I personally think [name]Kingsley[/name] sounds more feminine because of that “y” ending. I had given [name]Kinga[/name] a thought, but our last name begins with an A; I’m a big believer in not ending a first name in the same letter as the first letter of your last name. I never watched or read more than one [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] movie so my mind doesn’t go there. Didn’t even know it was a character! And to answer one more question, I would like to use the family name on a girl because we have a boy name picked out already and it is from my husband’s family. I am a little surprised to see how strongly against it some of you felt. I asked for opinions and I appreciated the suggestions like [name]Kinga[/name], but I didn’t expect for some people to be so unkind!

It is a male name. A king is always male. It reminds me of the author [name]Kingsley[/name] [name]Amis[/name].

If you ask for people’s opinions via an Internet forum they’re not going to err on the side of pandering to you like a friend or family member would. So you will get the most blunt and brutally honest opinions. What you should bear in mind that though you think these opinions are “unkind”…they’re likely to be more along the lines of what a stranger would be thinking were they to meet a little girl [name]Kingsley[/name].

it is not for me as i dont really choose unisex names, but i have encountered so many little girls with unisex names recently and once they are on a girl i dont think too much about it - carter, milone, daryn, reagan, quinley etc. honestly the only ones that i cant get past are these sisters i know dylan and tyler. those scream boy to me. i do see how the ley could be a bit trendy so that might be more my concern than the unisex nature of it

I think [name]Kingsley[/name] is way too far on the masculine side - I don’t find it attractive at all for a girl.

Ok, so [name]King[/name] is a family name, what about a feminine equivalent? [name]Regina[/name]? [name]Raina[/name]? [name]Rhiannon[/name]? All mean “queen”.

I don’t think anyone was unkind at all! Oo

[name]Don[/name]'t see where anyone was mean but I long ago realized that I’m not nearly as sensitive as many on this site. I appreciate bluntness. Anyway…

I actually love [name]King[/name] for a girl, it’s a guilty pleasure. Only problem with [name]King[/name] is I’d have to have a surname that’s also a classic given name ([name]Charles[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Henry[/name], etc). I wouldn’t name my kid [name]King[/name] [name]Smith[/name] or [name]King[/name] Holloway.

If I were wanting to use a family name I’d use it as is, as a mn for a girl or boy. If I were to change it for a girl, I’d go with [name]Kingston[/name] or a king-related name ([name]Rani[/name], [name]Countess[/name], Tsarina, Dauphine, etc).

[name]Kingsley[/name]!? What is this, Toddlers and Tiaras?

Regardless if a faimly name is involved or not, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to bring “regal” type names into it. If she had a name that meant something “regal” or “king-like”, that’s one thing. But something that out outright has “king” in the name? I can definitely see how it could come off as pretentious.

Honestly I think it is a boy’s name and should stay that way. Only exception would be if you used it as a middle, where I think it is OK to be a bit more playful or use family names.

Could you be more lateral and look for names that relate to royalty in some way eg [name]Regina[/name] nn [name]Queenie[/name]?

Would you name a boy Queensley? If not, please do not name your daughter [name]Kingsley[/name]. Since [name]King[/name] is a family name, I fully support its use as a middle name. Not under any circumstances as a first name or part of a first name.